Fiverr Commision is 20%: What do you think?

epiphanyanimati

poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Fiverr should take more commission!
    • Fiverr should take less (10%)
    • Fiverr should take the same amount it takes
    • Fiverr should split up the fee between the buyer and the seller

Telling someone “perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses” is essentially calling the gentleman ignorant - because of a lack of course work. I think that’s rude.

Is it really necessary to keep arguing your views on my phrasing? This topic is about Fiverr’s 20% commission. I offered straightforward advice to the OP – who, I might add, specifically asked for the thoughts of anyone who wanted to reply. People who understand my advice, and my persona here on the forums, were not offended. People who wanted a “bunny rabbit answer” were.

I am not going to apologize for being candid, direct, or honest.

This is how I address many issues here on the forums, and forum users largely appreciate my direct nature. In fact, many forum users have even taken my candid advice to heart, and are now succeeding as Fiverr sellers. I can share their words of support, and their “thank you for helping me succeed” comments if you wish.

People will disagree with you, people will speak more directly than you, and people will pursue a bolder approach than you. We are all different, and we all communicate on different levels. I was not wrong to be direct. And I will not cease to be so, as long as my direct comments continue to inspire others, help them succeed, and allow them to take a broader approach to their struggles.

You are a “content writer”, Danno. Surely you understand the value and importance of well-crafted words. You continue to talk in your voice. And I will continue to talk in mine.

In the end, I’m here to help others. I will help in the way that resonates the most.

This is how I address many issues here on the forums, and forum users largely appreciate my direct nature. In fact, many forum users have even taken my candid advice to heart, and are now succeeding as Fiverr sellers. I can share their words of support, and their “thank you for helping me succeed” comments if you wish.

Did you read the "Happy Birthday Jon! thread? It had 64 replies. Many of them thanked Jon for his help and advice given to them on the Forum. Jon is a straight shooter. He does not make useless coddling remarks like, “Hang in there buddy.” He offers advice that if taken to heart rather than being offended by will help the person he is addressing.

Take a look and see for yourself.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telling someone “perhaps you may want to take a few business, math or accounting courses” is essentially calling the gentleman ignorant - because of a lack of course work. I think that’s rude.

Is it really necessary to keep arguing your views on my phrasing? This topic is about Fiverr’s 20% commission. I offered straightforward advice to the OP – who, I might add, specifically asked for the thoughts of anyone who wanted to reply. People who understand my advice, and my persona here on the forums, were not offended. People who wanted a “bunny rabbit answer” were.

I am not going to apologize for being candid, direct, or honest.

People will disagree with you, people will speak more directly than you, and people will pursue a bolder approach than you. We are all different, and we all communicate on different levels. I was not wrong to be direct. And I will not cease to be so, as long as my direct comments continue to inspire others, help them succeed, and allow them to take a broader approach to their struggles.

You are a “content writer”, Danno. Surely you understand the value and importance of well-crafted words. You continue to talk in your voice. And I will continue to talk in mine.

In the end, I’m here to help others. I will help in the way that resonates the most.

Is it really necessary to keep arguing your views on my phrasing?

Is it really necessary to keep justifying your behavior at such length, Jon? We disagree.

Did you read the "Happy Birthday Jon! thread? It had 64 replies. Many of them thanked Jon for his help and advice given to them on the Forum. Jon is a straight shooter. He does not make useless coddling remarks like, “Hang in there buddy.” He offers advice that if taken to heart rather than being offended by will help the person he is addressing.

Take a look and see for yourself.

Thanks for your input, Vickie.

lol - judging by your latest lengthy response, Jon, I seem to have touched a nerve. Maybe you are the one who needs to move on. 🙂

lol - judging by your latest lengthy response, Jon, I seem to have touched a nerve. Maybe you are the one who needs to move on. 🙂

You seem to enjoy arguing – and, apparently, laughing at the fact that you like arguing. Therefore, I will be the bigger man. You may continue to argue needlessly. I will, however, cease to engage you on your level.

Good luck with your gigs.

You seem to enjoy arguing – and, apparently, laughing at the fact that you like arguing. Therefore, I will be the bigger man. You may continue to argue needlessly. I will, however, cease to engage you on your level.

Good luck with your gigs.

You seem to enjoy arguing

Funny - I was just thinking the same about you, Jon. Too bad you missed my point. Goodbye.

Awesome.

I just add 20% to my custom offers so as after deducting fees, I should receive the correct amount. 🙂

I just add 20% to my custom offers so as after deducting fees, I should receive the correct amount. 🙂

That is an excellent strategy. Fiverr deserves their 20%, so you have the right idea to price your services 20% higher than the value of the price you set for your services.

I commend you for your business-forward thinking. Well done! 🙂

That is an excellent strategy. Fiverr deserves their 20%, so you have the right idea to price your services 20% higher than the value of the price you set for your services.

I commend you for your business-forward thinking. Well done! 🙂

Thanks for the appreciation. There is a solution to every problem. “Complaining” is not the only solution. There are endless ways to tackle a situation. You just have to find the perfect one.

Let’s get to work now!! 🙂

Has anyone ever bothered with the BYOB feature?

I mean anyone who thinks a 20% commission is not fair to them, they can definitely give that feature a spin and get 100% off of every sale forever.

It takes some marketing and promotion chops to pull off though.

I think you will appreciate the 20% fee once once you try the alternative.

I mean anyone who thinks a 20% commission is not fair to them, they can definitely give that feature a spin and get 100% off of every sale forever.

I wish they still had it. I would use it. They phased it out before I joined Fiverr.

Guest offlinehelpers

Um, I think you are talking about something else.

BYOB is a 2 month old feature, and you can find it under your selling tab.

BYOB isn’t available to everybody - I know I don’t have it. ☀️

Well, If you compare Fiverr with other Platforms then as @jonbaas said, 20% is fair. Fiverr don’t charge monthly fees or Membership charges and doesn’t contain Bids system like other Platforms which is complicated. It just have simple Buyer Requests option and you can send 10 requests daily which are good.

Hope that Helps! 🙂

I’ve been on the BYOB for a couple of months, but yet to see anything from it. The orders have to come from buyers who signed up on Fiverr from my promotional efforts, and though I’m hitting that hard, it hasn’t yet translated to sales. The odd part is that I get a lot of orders from people who just signed up in the past month.

Awesome.

I just add 20% to my custom offers so as after deducting fees, I should receive the correct amount.

Whenever my custom offers are higher than the advertised prices, my buyers get upset. They agree to higher prices when they’re demanding double or triple the work, work not advertised on my gigs, or other special work.

I do not want to upset buyers. If your selling price is $5 and your custom offer is $20 for the exact same thing you sell for $5, your buyer might demand a refund. This hurts you.

However, if this method works for you, if you are explaining why you’re doing it to your bother, then I guess you can keep doing it. Good luck.

We “pay” fiverr 20% to host our “business” (gigs).

Fiverr maintain this website working, it’s not cheap. Also they have to pay customer service guys, have to pay web design/develop people, servers rental, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It’s more than fair fiverr to charge this percentage. Nobody is forced to freelance though fiverr site.

If fiverr wanted, they could charge 50%, 60%, 70%, or whatever they want.

I would like fiverr to charge nothing from sellers, BUT i extremely respect and understand these charges. Fiverr is a company, and I keep repeating, the main objective of a company (in a capitalist world) is PROFIT!

Fiverr isnt here to do a good deed for people around the world. Fiverr want profits, like every seller selling services at fiverr marketplace

I just add 20% to my custom offers so as after deducting fees, I should receive the correct amount.

Whenever my custom offers are higher than the advertised prices, my buyers get upset. They agree to higher prices when they’re demanding double or triple the work, work not advertised on my gigs, or other special work.

I do not want to upset buyers. If your selling price is $5 and your custom offer is $20 for the exact same thing you sell for $5, your buyer might demand a refund. This hurts you.

However, if this method works for you, if you are explaining why you’re doing it to your bother, then I guess you can keep doing it. Good luck.

he adds 20%, not $20.

if his normal is $5, then custom offers are $5+$1 = $6

he adds 20%, not $20.

Exactly, but that’s not the price I saw advertised. If I see $5 and you send me $6, I’m going to think you’re trying to con me.

Maybe that’s why I’d rather charge $10.

Can’t split the 20% with the buyers because the buyer is charged a 10% surcharge over your quote. i.e. They pay $5.50 on a $5 gig. So you can’t split your 20% with the customer — you’re actually already splitting “30%” (or something like because the math is weird) with the customer where you take 20% and the customer takes 10%. Fiverr makes money from both ends.

My problem is I have a local business. And it occurred to me that me taking Fiverr work and curtailing local marketing efforts is a problem. I get paid about 200% my Fiverr prices for local work. i.e. I’m charging about half my normal rates on Fiverr. I’ve build a nice reputation here, customers could bang my door down and I get something for it. Good during honest downtime (like August & December to February) but definitely not worth it competing with my local marketing efforts the rest of the year. When I make a sale of $200 off Fiverr, I get the whole thing. When I make a $100 sale on Fiverr, I get $80. Thankfully I’ve had some great tippers (like $200 tip here $160 tip there… one person asked if Fiverr took a % of the tip — so they gave me more tip, that was sweet — these are on like $700 jobs…) — but these are jobs I should be charging 4 figures for.

So it’s made me rethink my Fiverr business. Shut down most of my gigs and only offer either smaller gigs, or full-price gigs. Just because I’d rather make $160 here and there than $80 more often on Fiverr because I can then turn my efforts to getting more $200 gigs at home or on my own.

Leaving my small easy-to-deliver gigs, leaving my coaching, and saving my hands for real high-paying work. Semi-retirement from Fiverr… and go back to networking in my community or other sources of the larger jobs.

If it doesn’t work — my gigs are still there. I’m booked with local/off-Fiverr work the next month. If I’m not the following month, put my gigs back up.

Archived