Ebook cover - images - copyrights

chrisnbook

Hi, I’m new to all this: ebook cover, images and rights; and I have some questions.

First I’ll describe why I am on Fiverr so that you understand my questions better. I wrote a book and want to publish it on amazon-kindle. I therefore came here to have someone do the ebook cover.

I saw how most sellers do, they offer different gigs and extra options.
And then some say they use images from websites that are 100% free to use, others ask me to choose images from some paying websites.

-Question 1: If a seller uses an image that is 100% free to use and then sells me his work with “commercial use”, I understand I’ll own the rights to the modified image. What happens if someone buys the rights or deposits the rights on the original 100% free to use image?

-Question 2: Does the “source file” has anything to do with copyrights?

-Question 3: If a seller asks me to choose an image from a paying website, buys it for me, delivers me the finished work with “commercial use”, will I own the rights to the finished work + the image that was bought?

-Question 4: How can I verify that the seller bought the image or simply copied it from the website?

Thanks.

Suggest you read the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page which should answer your questions.

Unfortunatelly, they don’t answer my questions. My questions are about the liabilities towards a third party: the owner of the images. The commercial use is transferred from the seller to the buyer, ok. But what about the seller’s right to use the images?

Hi, I’m new to all this: ebook cover, images and rights; and I have some questions.

First I’ll describe why I am on Fiverr so that you understand my questions better. I wrote a book and want to publish it on amazon-kindle. I therefore came here to have someone do the ebook cover.

And then some say they use images from websites that are 100% free to use, others ask me to choose images from some paying websites.

-Question 1: If a seller uses an image that is 100% free to use and then sells me his work with “commercial use”, I understand I’ll own the rights to the modified image. What happens if someone buys the rights or deposits the rights on the original 100% free to use image?

-Question 3: If a seller asks me to choose an image from a paying website, buys it for me, delivers me the finished work with “commercial use”, will I own the rights to the finished work + the image that was bought?

-Question 4: How can I verify that the seller bought the image or simply copied it from the website?

Thanks.

-Question 1: If a seller uses an image that is 100% free to use and then sells me his work with “commercial use”, I understand I’ll own the rights to the modified image.

// You Do NOT own the rights. If an image is free, modified or not, it belongs to the original owner. You and everyone else have permission to use it; however, even free images have a disclaimer. You need to double check to ensure you are allowed to profit (use to sell ebooks) because it may only be for non-profit

What happens if someone buys the rights or deposits the rights on the original 100% free to use image?

// If the original owner sells the image, the new owner has right to track down, if he chooses to and ask you to remove or pay. The chances of this happening is slim.

// No, it just gives you option to modify the cover on your own

// The image has nothing to do with commercial use. Neither you or seller owns those images. The C.U.L. is for you to profit off the ebook cover design the seller did by merging stock photos/adding titles & such. Commercial use license gives you no protection from the owners of the images.

// You can’t, see below on how I ensure I’m protected on my ebooks.

I buy my own stocks from paid sites such as Canstock or Dollar Stock, as I’m a member. Most places will have disclaimers giving you full rights to use anything you buy included in their Tos. For example, Canstock says something like 10k or 100k, can’t remember, you can use for each purchase.

It means I can sell up 100k books using that stock photo and I have rights to modify it any way I wish. I do not own it, I have permission to use it within their terms. Canstock still owns that photo and the designer/photographer can sell it to as many people as they wish to make profit.

Because I legally purchased my own stick photos and have downloaded Tos, plus the charge on my credit card, I’m safe.

I give seller my own and I do not risk an embarrassment of someone coming after me. I suggest you do the same.

Be safe, buy your own.

Commercial Use License is useless against getting sued over stock photos - free or not.

Thanks.

How can I verify that the seller bought the image or simply copied it from the website?

Usually, I provide my clients with the transaction code of the Photo, or in some cases, I provide them the invoice but with my real name hidden.

-Question 1: If a seller uses an image that is 100% free to use and then sells me his work with “commercial use”, I understand I’ll own the rights to the modified image.

// You Do NOT own the rights. If an image is free, modified or not, it belongs to the original owner. You and everyone else have permission to use it; however, even free images have a disclaimer. You need to double check to ensure you are allowed to profit (use to sell ebooks) because it may only be for non-profit

What happens if someone buys the rights or deposits the rights on the original 100% free to use image?

// If the original owner sells the image, the new owner has right to track down, if he chooses to and ask you to remove or pay. The chances of this happening is slim.

// No, it just gives you option to modify the cover on your own

// The image has nothing to do with commercial use. Neither you or seller owns those images. The C.U.L. is for you to profit off the ebook cover design the seller did by merging stock photos/adding titles & such. Commercial use license gives you no protection from the owners of the images.

// You can’t, see below on how I ensure I’m protected on my ebooks.

I buy my own stocks from paid sites such as Canstock or Dollar Stock, as I’m a member. Most places will have disclaimers giving you full rights to use anything you buy included in their Tos. For example, Canstock says something like 10k or 100k, can’t remember, you can use for each purchase.

It means I can sell up 100k books using that stock photo and I have rights to modify it any way I wish. I do not own it, I have permission to use it within their terms. Canstock still owns that photo and the designer/photographer can sell it to as many people as they wish to make profit.

Because I legally purchased my own stick photos and have downloaded Tos, plus the charge on my credit card, I’m safe.

I give seller my own and I do not risk an embarrassment of someone coming after me. I suggest you do the same.

Be safe, buy your own.

Commercial Use License is useless against getting sued over stock photos - free or not.

Hi Gina, thanks a lot for these very complete answers! You answered all my doubts.

I was looking today at a very good quality pictures site, all free to use for commercial (profit) purpose. If I compare this option (getting my pictures there) to how you do (buying them), where would the difference be? Except between getting them for free or having to pay for them. I mean on a legal and copyright level? The way you do, you make sure you can use them, they still belong to the author (photograph), no one will come after you (this last part is all I care about). Getting them for free would insure me all of these advantages, no?

Hi Gina, thanks a lot for these very complete answers! You answered all my doubts.

I was looking today at a very good quality pictures site, all free to use for commercial (profit) purpose. If I compare this option (getting my pictures there) to how you do (buying them), where would the difference be? Except between getting them for free or having to pay for them. I mean on a legal and copyright level? The way you do, you make sure you can use them, they still belong to the author (photograph), no one will come after you (this last part is all I care about). Getting them for free would insure me all of these advantages, no?

Getting them for free would insure me all of these advantages, no?

If the terms states you can profit off it for ebooks, advertising, banners on websites, etc, you can use it. You should be safe as they typically sign a waiver stating it is free.

As I stated above, free or paid, the images still belong to the original photographer/designer. They are giving you permission to use it.

If the owner changes his mind, later on, doubtful they will track down every single stock that is being used online, but the very, very slim chance they do; then simply get another cover designed.

You’re asking what are the risks associated with free vs paid stocks? About the same. The only difference is that if your book becomes a hot seller, the owner of the free photo can come after you for portion of your royalty if they wish.

There is less chance of that happening with a paid version as you legally purchased it within the guidelines that gave you permission to use it for profit purposes.

Getting them for free would insure me all of these advantages, no?

If the terms states you can profit off it for ebooks, advertising, banners on websites, etc, you can use it. You should be safe as they typically sign a waiver stating it is free.

As I stated above, free or paid, the images still belong to the original photographer/designer. They are giving you permission to use it.

If the owner changes his mind, later on, doubtful they will track down every single stock that is being used online, but the very, very slim chance they do; then simply get another cover designed.

You’re asking what are the risks associated with free vs paid stocks? About the same. The only difference is that if your book becomes a hot seller, the owner of the free photo can come after you for portion of your royalty if they wish.

There is less chance of that happening with a paid version as you legally purchased it within the guidelines that gave you permission to use it for profit purposes.

THANK YOU! For your time and for understanding my questions. It will be of great help.

THANK YOU! For your time and for understanding my questions. It will be of great help.

You are welcome!

I wish you great success!

Oh, my first post was kinda wonky because I spent 30 minutes pecking on my phone to get it out. It was a painfully long process. I re-read it and realized all the grammar errors, skipped words and such. As a writer, I cringe at my own mistakes.

I typically do write better! 🙂

Also,

On your first book! I know how daunting it is to get it out there!

Not daunting actually… I got rejected by all the major editors of my country and then starting to look on how to publish on amazon. And it sounds/looks better than regular publishing. Plus, even if time-consuming, all these preparing steps are interesting to take care of. I’m learning a lot. Just got my degree on image-copyright from you 😛 I think I am not scared because it´s ok for me if it doesn´t sell. I had to write it, would have written it no matter what, the story is part of me now. Once again, thanks!

I forgot to mention something very important. Some sites, regardless of free or paid, strictly forbids selling or giving to a 3rd party.

In other words, your seller cannot buy a stock and use it to design something for you to sell.

Some free images, are to be downloaded by the user and not for a 3rd party. They do this because in case there is a dispute, there will be a clear line of who is responsible.

Make sure the images the seller give you state they can indeed give to a third party.

I forgot to mention something very important. Some sites, regardless of free or paid, strictly forbids selling or giving to a 3rd party.

In other words, your seller cannot buy a stock and use it to design something for you to sell.

Some free images, are to be downloaded by the user and not for a 3rd party. They do this because in case there is a dispute, there will be a clear line of who is responsible.

Make sure the images the seller give you state they can indeed give to a third party.

I’ll ask them. Already thought of that 😉

Archived