VO Pricing (OT comments moved from 218495)

tom_freeman

The only sensible way to use Fiverr as a professional VO artist is to create a clear differential between a basic stripped down, single take, no revision service for low paid Fiverr gigs, and the industry standard service we provide for clients we work with normally, which include same day delivery, multiple alt takes, free revisions, etc.

The key is to create a real difference between the services, and be open with buyers that they are getting an economy service for a low price. I record low pay Fiverr gigs at the end of my normal sessions, charge for quicker delivery and every other extra, and if buyer wants a revision they have to pay for another order.

Also, if you’re frustrated waiting for Fiverr to set up Pro VO gigs, it’s perfectly possible to set up your own Pro VIP gig for whatever you want to charge. Then the buyers have the option of upgrading if they want to.

Yes the general cheapness expected by many buyers is created by the heinous offerings of voice overs for literally $5. It makes a mockery of the profession. The small addition of a commercial license onto an already hugely discounted basic fee is likely to be rejected by many. This is the problem with this platform. It has undermined the real industry by promoting these ridiculous fees. I do not record anything for $5. It’s an insult.

The only sensible way to use Fiverr as a professional VO artist is to create a clear differential between a basic stripped down, single take, no revision service for low paid Fiverr gigs, and the industry standard service we provide for clients we work with normally, which include same day delivery, multiple alt takes, free revisions, etc.

The key is to create a real difference between the services, and be open with buyers that they are getting an economy service for a low price. I record low pay Fiverr gigs at the end of my normal sessions, charge for quicker delivery and every other extra, and if buyer wants a revision they have to pay for another order.

Also, if you’re frustrated waiting for Fiverr to set up Pro VO gigs, it’s perfectly possible to set up your own Pro VIP gig for whatever you want to charge. Then the buyers have the option of upgrading if they want to.

it’s perfectly possible to set up your own Pro VIP gig for whatever you want to charge

Totally agree, I reserve a small portion of the day for fiverr gigs which because they are so heavily discounted from real world prices, come with no revisions, and plenty of extras that can be ordered.

Yes the general cheapness expected by many buyers is created by the heinous offerings of voice overs for literally $5. It makes a mockery of the profession

I have always viewed that as the opportunity. While there are thousands with gigs in the VO category, I believe that less than 1% are distinctive enough to really stand out as someone who will be sought out. For me the key has been driving the price up. Every time I have increased prices, the quality of my buyers has increased and the $5 folks you are complaining about quickly disappear.

What amazes me are the sellers in the category who have 5 stars and thousands of great reviews, who still give it away at $5 for 200 words.

Guest sophiesvoice

Yes I agree. Those of us who actually are pro should have the confidence to drive prices up and attract the right kind of buyers. Still, it is just wrong that so many people are selling full length v/o for $5!

Still, it is just wrong that so many people are selling full length v/o for $5!

Ouch, that’s pretty harsh. It’s all relative though, I know scores of vo talent who would say that a full-length vo for $20 is wrong and “heinous”.

I really didn’t want for this thread to go to the “charging $5 for a VO is insulting”, because there are so many people that are starting in this business that can’t go for a $100+ rate for a single VO gig, as I believe most of us with experience have done so, because these people don’t have the experience or the customer base to go ahead and start charging like a pro; they need the experience and start building from the bottom.

Also, I believe most of us have business opportunities besides Fiverr, where we charge as we want, and as @tom_freeman said:

It’s funny how some people trash Fiverr business model in the forums, yet they advertise their gigs in the platform.

Guest sophiesvoice

I really didn’t want for this thread to go to the “charging $5 for a VO is insulting”, because there are so many people that are starting in this business that can’t go for a $100+ rate for a single VO gig, as I believe most of us with experience have done so, because these people don’t have the experience or the customer base to go ahead and start charging like a pro; they need the experience and start building from the bottom.

Also, I believe most of us have business opportunities besides Fiverr, where we charge as we want, and as @tom_freeman said:

It’s funny how some people trash Fiverr business model in the forums, yet they advertise their gigs in the platform.

I agree 100% with your post and thank you for it.

Also, it’s funny how some people seem to feel superior when they charge more than $5 for their gig, as if it gives them the right to belittle those who charge less.

Still, it is just wrong that so many people are selling full length v/o for $5!

Ouch, that’s pretty harsh. It’s all relative though, I know scores of vo talent who would say that a full-length vo for $20 is wrong and “heinous”.

Well I’m afraid $20 basic minimum for non commercial use for up to 125 words is a big compromise but it’s not near as bad as literally $5 for that amount. Nobody should get behind a mic for five dollars I’m sorry.

I agree 100% with your post and thank you for it.

Also, it’s funny how some people seem to feel superior when they charge more than $5 for their gig, as if it gives them the right to belittle those who charge less.

It’s not about belittling anyone. It’s about trying to maintain some half way decent standard on what’s left of the industry. As a pro artist ( I trained for what I do and have over 24 years experience) I have been forced to compromise on some of these Internet platforms so it’s hard enough taking work for sub industry rates especially when you are undercut by people offering voice overs for $5!

Guest offlinehelpers

It’s not about belittling anyone. It’s about trying to maintain some half way decent standard on what’s left of the industry. As a pro artist ( I trained for what I do and have over 24 years experience) I have been forced to compromise on some of these Internet platforms so it’s hard enough taking work for sub industry rates especially when you are undercut by people offering voice overs for $5!

undercut by people offering voice overs for $5!

Are you suggesting price fixing would be a better option, with a minimum amount which could be charged - based entirely on your suggestion obviously?

It’s called Fiverr - if vo artists choose to do a million words for $5 just because they can, then that’s entirely up to them so long as they’re happy.

You’re obviously happy charging what you do, and they’re happy charging what they do.

Personally I can’t see a problem.

Couldn’t agree more.

Well I’m afraid $20 basic minimum for non commercial use for up to 125 words is a big compromise but it’s not near as bad as literally $5 for that amount. Nobody should get behind a mic for five dollars I’m sorry.

Nobody should get behind a mic for five dollars I’m sorry.

For many it’s a great way to start, my only issue is when experienced sellers stay there.

it’s perfectly possible to set up your own Pro VIP gig for whatever you want to charge

Totally agree, I reserve a small portion of the day for fiverr gigs which because they are so heavily discounted from real world prices, come with no revisions, and plenty of extras that can be ordered.

Yes the general cheapness expected by many buyers is created by the heinous offerings of voice overs for literally $5. It makes a mockery of the profession

I have always viewed that as the opportunity. While there are thousands with gigs in the VO category, I believe that less than 1% are distinctive enough to really stand out as someone who will be sought out. For me the key has been driving the price up. Every time I have increased prices, the quality of my buyers has increased and the $5 folks you are complaining about quickly disappear.

What amazes me are the sellers in the category who have 5 stars and thousands of great reviews, who still give it away at $5 for 200 words.

That is not just in the voiceover category but my category too, as well as the writing category and probably most others.

We are in a multi-national selling environment where $5 is a lot of money in some places. But I’ve seen sellers in my category with 20,000 5 star reviews who sell gigs for $5.

Archived