Is Fiverr Worth it?

Guest tronexmedia

Guest tronexmedia

Well as an online publisher network owner. I have seen alot of great web base services and to be honest as I seller I don’t think Fiverr is worth it but as a buyer of course. I say this as a seller and buyer on Fiverr due to the fact that you are selling great service at $5 which you end up paying $1 plus $1 plus paypal fees which in turn average about $2 in some change. The only benefit you get really is when you can offer your service for higher but still as a seller fiverr is not worth my time cause you have to wait so long to even get a payout which sucks. But good luck to the rest of you sellers.

Some of us don’t get a chance in outside world to get the jobs. So we cut down the costs and try to make money. even odesk and other sites are filled with the competitions. People here over deliver so that they can have consistent work. It is worth my time if I get atleast 5 orders a a day (yet to reach that point though). I even don’t mind working for other outsourcers at this low price tag where they can charge more for their client. I can work for low amount here if I can get consistent work. Making money at the end of the day matters for me, I am in that bad stage of life. 🙂

It’s worth my time. I average about 45 bucks an hour here on Fiverr.

As for the dollar charge. Look at it this way.

Fiverr hosts the site.

Fiverr brings the traffic.

Fiverr pays for it’s own ads to the main site, and if you do good work, that benefits you.

Basically. Fiverr pays for everything. And you ‘Do’ benefit once you start getting high ratings and really push your work.

If you rented a store, you would still have to pay rent every month. Even if you didn’t sell one thing. The landlord wouldn’t care. He wants his rent. Also factor in insurance, utilities and the stock for the store itself. That’s much more than what Fiverr charges. A ‘Lot’ more.

So, Fiverr is really not expensive to sell on when you factor all that in. It’s actually quite cheap. And the fact you don’t have to pay anything until you actually sell something beats paying like 10,000 bucks to start a store. Or even a website costs much more than Fiverr. To start it up proper.

Again, it’s all about how you organize and set up your gigs. Once you get going, you can do like… 10 at the same time. (Depending on your gig).

But, like I said. I make around 45 bucks an hour and work 4-5 hours each day. 7 days a week. Well worth my time.

But, it didn’t start that way. I started getting 1 order every few days. Not worth it then. But it’s increased weekly since I started. And is still increasing.

You also confused the PayPal fees. It’s $1 for as much as $5000 transferred. So when I send $5000 out of my account, I pay $1 to paypal. Regarding the 20% spiff to Fiverr. BigBadBilly nailed it.

The one place I’ll disagree with BigBadBilly is it not being “worth it” when it was only an order or so every other day or so.

Of course it’s worth it then too: Because success on fiverr is not about the daily sales, …it’s about being here a year from now.

I am an engineer but on Fiverr I sell (do) what I love to do and it’s music… I sell art and is my hobby.

Fiverr has given me the chance to do what I love and sell it…

It is not the profit what is important here, it is actually selling something from your creation and be satisfied with the results when people give you the thumps up!

I dont get the point of creating a conversation to create confusion and unnecessary controversy.

Cheers

cesgon - Soundless & Loud

You’re looking at your earnings in a very nearsighted, closed-minded way. You don’t only make $2 per gig. If that was the case, nobody would use Fiverr.

You have to price your gigs so that you’re making the amount of money you want per hour. For example, if I write articles, and I want to make at least $20/hr, I need to be able to complete at least 5 gigs in one hour. If it takes me a 1/2 hour to write an article of 600 words, then obviously, I won’t be able to make $20/hr, so I have to lower the word limit to 200 words per article for $5. Then I would be able to do six 200 word articles per hour, which would come out to $24/hr. And, of course, most people want their articles longer than 200 words, so they would just buy extras or gig multiples–which makes you more money.

I pay 50 cents in Paypal fees every time I transfer money. I only transfer money when my account gets up to $500 dollars. So 50 cents out of $500 is not bad at all! lol If you’re stupid and transfer your money every time $4 clears, then it wouldn’t be worth it, but if you’re smart you can avoid that.

Also I have no idea why everyone complains that we have to wait 2 weeks for our money to clear. I don’t know of one single job that pays you the second you finish for the day. In the real world you only get paid every two weeks as well.

Making good money on Fiverr is very possible-- you just have to be smart about it.

Hey Fiverr sellers and buyers! I am officially a member of the forum community! :-h

I have been selling on Fiverr for over two years, but have yet to join the forum so I thought I would add my two cents to the conversation here to get the ball rolling.

I am a professional voice over artist and have worked with some awesome clients who have ordered from my here on Fiverr.

Fiverr as a platform can be tremendously advantageous to sellers due in part to the compartmentalized framework that we as sellers are presented with (bigbadbilly expounded this consideration well). It is definitely a matter of whether the 20% charge is worth it to you in regards to the utilities offered to us (hosting of our gigs, traffic, great forum community for added exposure, etc). I think it is worth it. Some sellers here on Fiverr are worried they are not going to make any money; however I have also noticed that some have only been selling for a month or two. Sometimes it takes a little while to get going. It is not easy competing against thousands of other gigs wanting the same outcome as you. There also takes some self-promotion and marketing on your own terms to assist in the exposure of your brand. You are allowed to send potential clients to your Fiverr gigs from outside sources. This may mean the creation of a website linking to your Fiverr gig(s), if even for certain types of services offered in your respective field as opposed to ones offered away from Fiverr. Other modes include the accustomed social media networks, etc.

In response to offering our services at higher prices – yes, the bread and butter surely begins to shows its true colors once extras are added to the equation. This is where money can be made; however it does not take much to make it to Level 1. I am currently a Level 2 seller (can’t wait until I am a TRS!), and it most definitely helps to compartmentalize my services in the “extra’s” area.

The last nine months have been the most lucrative for me (I have noticed sales doubling on a regular basis for the most part this year as opposed to last year), and this is well over a year and change into me being a part of Fiverr, so having patience is definitely a benefit. I was also just ending my 2nd year of college when I started working on Fiverr, so time had to be balanced, but you get the picture.

All in all, once users start adding your gigs to their favorite’s list (this is HUGE when it comes to exposure), you let time go by where your gigs have been fabricated into Fiverr’s search results, and you have helped yourself by carrying out a bit of marketing, you can see quite the difference in profits. Also, make sure your gigs have strong descriptions, videos, and the hope that Fiverr recognizes a gig of yours for a potential feature.

I hope I was of some help! Glad to be a part of this wonderful community, and I am definitely looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can!

Best,

• JJ

As a new seller and user here on Fiverr, I would just like to say that nothing comes for free in life and it is sad to hear so many complaints.

I think the website is fantastic, I am not so good at computers and I never used many social medias, however, here on Fiverr, I got started and within hours I had already set up my first gig!

It was not long, around a month, before I had my first order for a gig come in. The work took me much longer than expected, around an hour, however I know that by doing the work more times, I will get used to using the different softwares to make my product and in time I will do a better job much faster.

All this was done with a charge of only one dollar, which is taken automatically from the buyers pay. Could it be any easier as a seller? Even one like me, with poor computer skills but with a product that I enjoy the work of can without any problems set themselves up here and use and offer services.

Just as anything in life success only comes if we prevail, and the small price I have to pay for it here on Fiverr is nothing at all compared to hosting my own website and any other things I could try and fail and lose money.

Here there is a fail safe system, as a user one can not lose anything, because you don’t actually pay anything!

LS

http://fiverr.com/lingostarr

Reply to @kjblynx: Great point, kjblynx! Thanks for clarifying this. Perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been when I mentioned this. No, having users add your gigs to their favorites will not increase your Fiverr search position; however it will increase the amount of hits you receive along with the search results. Now that I realize this (and this was the case with the first version of Fiverr), but can users search other user’s favorites? Or are favorites only able to be viewed by the user who added them?

The reason I bring this up is that the ability to have other users search user’s favorites (or collections) increases the amount of exposure those added gigs receive (potentially). For instance, say that someone sees that 250 people have added their gigs to their favorites. This would be a considerable amount of exposure for the sellers of their gigs provided the gigs can be browsed by other users.

Thanks again, kjblynx!

Reply to @kjblynx: You and me both! I have been looking to see if this is the case in V2, but I have yet to find any collected gigs from other users. That would be a shame if the ability for users to search collected gigs was removed because this greatly helps the exposure factor. The thing is, this worked extremely well is V1, and I can still access V1 (I believe), so it should be allowed in V2. It provides another avenue for sellers to receive added hits and possible sales.

I don’t like being flummoxed! Lol. I’ll have to open up a ticket and find out. 🙂

Guest matt_garry

actually when it is all set and done and I convert it to Canadian I get about ( this of course takes timing and some technical analysis) almost 5 per gig so ya totally worth it for me. ( paypal takes about .33 cents from you every transaction so for me that is like maybe a dollar a month to use paypal.

Some people are just good at their job and use this platform to do something easily most people would struggle with, they don’t do it because its hard and it not worth it. they do it because they know their field and a 100 word voice over is easier to some than washing dishes. I play music on a daily basis some probably could not do what I do for 10x what I get.

it all has to do about time money management and talent to be pro

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

As a new seller I seem to be doing well so far. But the main issue I find is the odd one or two buyers who want multiple re-records. I can totally understand they want it right, and I want to get it right, but when they are being exceptionally picky and quite frankly condescending and rude (such as a buyer I’m doing a VO for right now) I end up spending hours on getting it right, which then totally makes the gig not worth it. I’m not bad at the job, as per my previous feedback. It’s just the client. They’ve paid $5 not $500. I have a very busy work life outside of fiverr too, but I feel I have to spend even more time busting a gut to get it right to avoid bad feedback. Thoughts?

I have found fiverr very worth it as a seller! I love this place, and have been able to get my services seen so much easier here than on my own platform. I also never mind paying the 20% off the top, because of all fiverr does to get my work seen. It’s one of the most viewed websites in the world–I could never accomplish that on my own, nor would I want to take the time to do so.

Archived