Just Been Demoted? Let's Stop it Happening Again

paulmaplesden

I can see that a fair number of people have been demoted on St. Level’s Day. Although its unfortunate if it happens to you, there are things you can do to stop this happening in future. Here are some suggestions, which I hope are useful not just if you’ve been demoted, but for sellers in general to help you maintain high standards and ratings.

Review the Turnaround Times on Your Gigs

I can see plenty of people getting demoted because of delays in completing work, extra time taken to do revisions, etc. One way around this is to lengthen the time you allow yourself to deliver a gig. Normally deliver in 24 hours? Change it to 48. Can’t make three days? Change it to five. Yes, I know that some buyers are looking for very fast turnarounds, but if trying to meet those deadlines is damaging your order completion rate, maybe its time to review that.

Use the Resolution Center

The Resolution Center is an awesome resource for sellers. It lets you extend deadlines, request extra money, modify orders, and more. If the scope of an order changes, use this to painlessly request an extension on your delivery times. If an order needs to be revised and you need an extra day or two, request that through the Resolution Center. OK, it may not work in every case, but for many it absolutely will.

Get Email Alerts When a Buyer Contacts You

You can setup Fiverr so you get an email every time you receive a message or an order from a buyer. Go into your email program and ensure it flags these as urgent. Use a service like Zapier or IFTTT to send you an SMS when you receive a message from Fiverr. Anything that gets you to your phone or computer so you can respond to the buyer and not damage your response rate.

Setup Quick Responses and Use Them

The Fiverr messaging system has templated, quick responses built in, and you can add your own. Don’t have time to reply to an inquiry in detail right now? Just set up a QR that says “Thanks for your message, I am currently traveling and will respond to you as soon as possible.” Then, when you get alerted you have a message you just need to go into your smartphone, pull up the QR, send it, and then respond properly when you have time.

I have QRs setup to thank people when I receive an order, let them know when I am starting it, for delivery, and as a single followup after delivery to check everything is good. It works very well.

Submit Unspam Requests

the way the Fiverr system works, you have to respond to every request, even spam ones. If a spam user has already been blocked, just submit an “Unblock User” request in the messaging system, and send them a “No Thanks” response.

Communicate Better and Manage Expectations

This all comes back to communication - whatever you do in your freelancing life, fast, effective, high-quality communication is at the heart of being a professional freelance worker. It sets expectations, enhances relationships, keeps buyers informed, and ultimately grows your business.

Implement these changes today, and there’s every chance you will enhance your response and order completion rates for future evaluations.

Good luck!

Please do not use this thread to complain about being demoted. This thread is intended purely as a help resource for sellers who want to avoid demotion in future. If you’re frustrated, angry, or want to vent, there are plenty of other places on the forums you can do that. Let’s keep this thread on-topic, please.

Mod Note: Just an addition to this great list - Even if you don’t have time to check the forum every day, check every 3-4 days and look at the pinned posts. In this way you will be aware of big issues such as bugs, changes etc. Also, if you see something strange on your account, check here too or ask if anyone has seen the same. Average response time on the forum is 2 minutes so it is well worth it.

Setup Quick Responses and Use Them

The Fiverr messaging system has templated, quick responses built in, and you can add your own. Don’t have time to reply to an inquiry in detail right now? Just set up a QR that says “Thanks for your message, I am currently traveling and will respond to you as soon as possible.” Then, when you get alerted you have a message you just need to go into your smartphone, pull up the QR, send it, and then respond properly when you have time.

This definitely works, especially when I’m on the road/busy with other offline/online stuff besides from Fiverr. I think I’m up to 15 QR’s and counting.:thinking: I wonder what’s the max? 😬

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not intended as a universal panacea - it won’t deal with all issues, but it will deal with a significant number of them, at least based on reading forum threads here.

I don’t see you address this, which is the biggest reason why many Sellers got demoted.

Do you have evidence of this, or is it anecdotal? To me, it seems to be a huge variety of reasons that sellers got demoted, which this post was intended to help with.

Yes, there are issues caused by what you mention, which is why I would be a big supporter of a “mutual cancellations” policy that does not affect stats, or perhaps periodic “free passes” on cancellations based on how many orders successfully delivered or something like that.

But, cancellations due to circumstances genuinely beyond your control (as per you losing power and internet due to hurricanes) should be something we can do something about - that, however, is something outside our control at present. Everything I metnioned above is very much inside our control, which is where sellers should be focussing first of all.

I have plenty of evidence (3+ years of cancelled orders one similar to the next) that shows that a Buyer ordered by mistake and/or didn’t read the Gig details and asked for what that is noted advertised. Not to mention orders where Buyers go completely radio silent and/or don’t provide the requested information––but the extension feature as at least provided some support for this, but often times the Order has to be cancelled because as you wait for the order grows closer to running late instead.

Each and every time this happens, I contact CS to report the issue so that there is a ticket (and screenshots provided) tied to each order when this arises so they’re involved and are aware of the user who isn’t bothering to read the Gig details (if they’re asking for something that’s clearly advertised against in the Gig details) since they are likely repeated offenders.

With Buyer’s cancellations effecting a Seller no matter the reason it’s often a bitter and hopeless situation when you’re demoted because due to someone else’s actions. I do agree that “mutual cancellations” should not effect the Seller and have supported the idea for many years now, but this has yet to be something that has yet to state no matter how much the community begs for it.

Try me, if a Buyer “accidentally places an order” and would like to cancel, I’d be happy to do so, I don’t want o try and essentially force them to continue their order with me simply because I am worried about the effect it will have on my account (and whats worse is these last months I’ve had to explain to a couple Buyers that while I understand their request to cancel, I don’t want to do so because it effects my account negatively).

That’s not good Customer Service, it isn’t how I want to be treated, but Fiverr has left Sellers no choice in the matter––either do whatever is necessary and within your control to keep the order going regardless of what the Buyer wants OR else.

You just can’t make blanketed click-bait title like “Just been demoted? Let’s stop it from happening again.” A majority of Sellers didn’t really have a choice in the matter. If you want to promote solutions for demotions there in a Sellers control, by all means, but not every Seller who has “just been demoted” has any say if they can stop it from happening again until Fiverr’s changes how Buyer’s cancellations effect a Seller.

But, cancellations due to circumstances genuinely beyond your control (as per you losing power and internet due to hurricanes) should be something we can do something about

I’m not saying that this should be on Fiverr, but all means, I knew staying off Fiverr for nearly 2 months I knew my Gig would slow to a halt. I mean water was literally flooding into my house when I contacted CS the 1st time with tears in my eyes saying “Please cancel all my Gigs, my house is flooding.” I even sent CS photos of just how bad it was (waist deep and I don’t live in a flood zone and don’t have insurance) but as a freelancer that’s something you can deal with as a working class citizen. I’m not expecting Fiverr to support me in this manner when it comes to come back and Selling on Fiverr.

However, I am talking about things Fiverr can improve on that Sellers want on the site that is simply out of our control that is well within Fiverr’s control.

I can share my experience regarding this.

I needed to cancel some orders because of the buyer (order mistakenly). So, I look at my gig title, description and FAQ part again and again. Then I modify those which can confuse a buyer or added more clarification. For example, I provide YouTube channel consultation service, but some buyer order that service for views. So, I mention it clearly in the description and FAQ that this gig not for views service. Also, I increased my price and stop providing $5, $10 service. After that, I never had any wrong order placement. When a gig price is high, I think buyer always look at the gig before ordering. Off-course, still, some buyer who order without reading. I don’t know how they can do it 🌵

So, I look at my gig title, description and FAQ part again and again. Then I modify those which can confuse a buyer or added more clarification. For example,

I hear you, but I’ve worked with an Editor HQ Fiverr on this and many other aspects in order to “better ensure” that a Buyer reads/understands not only a Gig description but the Order Requirements as well back when I was a TRS, he agreed that some people simply don’t bother reading and we can’t “force them to” so we brainstormed and revised accordingly.

He was tracking each and every order (going inside the order on his end and see what they put) that these issues from that point forward and I’d follow up daily by email. Unfortunately, we still had the same issue(s) to the point where he totally understood my frustration (because he could see what was happening essentially in real time) and I told him my suggestions (and shared all the threads) about the pause and/or reject feature for orders in these instances.

When he sends u a cancellation page, reject it and message him that Customer Support will cancel the order. Contact them, they will see that the buyr wants to cancel and you will get “Order Cancelled by Customer Support”

Orders cancelled by CS still affect you. This is what I did with all the orders that got cancelled this period. It doesn’t matter who/why the order was cancelled. If you got an order in and it’s cancelled for any reason, but anyone it effects your “Level Status” statistics.

I did exactly what you suggest. I used the resolution center to cancel an order that is impossible to do. Buyer accepted the situation. Order mutually canceled. Yet, my rate dropped 86% from 100%. This is the only canceled order in my 2 years with Fiverr and it affected me negatively. I am afraid good wishes and enthusiasm is not enough to solve this problem. Let’s say I managed to become level 2 seller, even TRS at one point… One canceled order and I will lose my status for 30 days, probably more? What’s the point here? Why should I bother?

So what’s your recommendation when a Buyer orders by mistake, is unresponsive or doesn’t read your Gig details and requests a service that you don’t advertise (and/or advertise against) or simply wants to cancel for reasons simply out of a Sellers control?

Because (no matter the reason) if a Buyer wants to cancel an Order a Seller cannot force them not to but regardless a Buyer’s cancellation it can and will effects a Sellers “Level Status”…

I don’t see you address this, which is the biggest reason why many Sellers got demoted.

I think you bring up a great point. Although I have seen this same point recently come up across the internet it there has yet to be a solution given by Fiverr.

Lost level one because of message response rate: Make no mistake I have not been a seller for quite some time. I have been a majority buyer for the last five years. I get allot of emails from sellers. Either I have worked with them or they want to up date me on their gigs. I appreciate that! Now why am I being penalized as a seller when the majority of my messages are from other sellers promoting their gigs, letting me know when something is finished, or correcting a mistake on a gig? Why do I have to respond to each and everyone of those messages? That makes me want to leave Fiverr. I am the buyer I will get to it in time. Yet, some of the messages do not require a response.

One little metric caused me to lose TRS. It’s ridiculous, and yes, it will happen again because this new system is designed to fail you. Asking for 4.8 is asking too much. They should be asking for 4.5 or 4.0. 4.8 is 96%!

omg!!! 😮

I think that all of us should talk seriously with Fiverr to reanalyze the new rules

I’ve been on the Fiverr system for several years. I’ve also been a top seller for several years. I went from receiving 600 orders per month to 400 ordered per month to about 150 now. I get the algorithm changes and that has affected my business, however my sales price point has increased. So, even though I’m losing the amount of orders, My sales bottom dollar has been increasing.

I have always struggled with keeping up with the quantity of messages. I wish there was a filter that helped sellers to stop all of the inquiries. Literally, I can receive hundreds per month. It’s almost impossible to keep up with all of them if you’re not online 24 hours a day.

Regarding the message above

• My recommendation is to not increase the order time. The reason being is because if you do this, in general people tend to get lazy. My theory is to shorten the amount of time it and get to work so that you can get it out-of-the-way as soon as possible.

• The resolution to is great, however It typically results in a cancellation. Just being honest…which now, counts against you, whereas in the past and never did. For example, if someone purchase something from you and it’s not what you offer (happens a lot), you can go to the Resolution center and explain why you cannot complete the job because it does not match your gig description. If you cancel, it’s now a cancellation against you, not the buyers. Asking for more money is not with the buyer wants. Typically, on a system like Fiverr, people want more for free. Although, I have asked for extensions occasionally… That seemed to be an OK feature. Nine times out of 10 I’m usually waiting on a buyer to send me the information that I need that was requested as a requirement. That can also delay the process to… Lazy buyers.

• I’ve tried to email alerts using zapier and IFTTT. It seems to work and has alerted me a little quicker. The mobile device is probably the best tool for sellers because it allows you to communicate on fast.

• Quick responses are amazing if you take the time to respond (timeblock your schedule to do this).

• This is dumb (sorry, but it is), “you have to respond to every request, even spam ones. If a spam user has already been blocked, just submit an “Unblock User” request in the messaging system, and send them a “No Thanks” response.” Fiverr programmed their system to automatically block people using auto-spam set in place by them. Therefore, they obviously have recognize that people are sending SPAM and they chose to weed out those individuals. That said, we should not be required to respond to spam messages. It’s very annoying. Why should I be penalized. It’s kind of like credit card fraud, but you still have to pay the bill, regardless.

In addition, turn off your online status. This is only a filter in search. Fiverr says it helps find you, but I don’t believe it. In fact, I believe it works against me. When you’re online 24 hours a day that opens you up for many messages sleep. With the new rules in place, you need to respond to all of those otherwise you will be penalized possibly demoted.

What’s up with this canned answer?, “Please do not use this thread to complain about being demoted. This thread is intended purely as a help resource for sellers who want to avoid demotion in future. If you’re frustrated, angry, or want to vent, there are plenty of other places on the forums you can do that. Let’s keep this thread on-topic, please.” _Lot’s of people will be demoted…including me, with over 10,000 jobs completed. Where’s the loyalty?

On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve been arguing for years about buyers who should be vetted and run through a rigorous process just like sellers. I get so many buyers that expect something for free or order my gig just to take my stuff. Video occasions I have had to request fiber to remove duplicate copies of my own gig.Can’t prove it, but I am almost positive that I’ve shopped many times by these fake buyers just to see what I have. Whatever.

Anyways, I hope this does not come across as a venting, but more of a reality warning from the seller who has done thousands of projects. Do you need systems in place before taking on tons of business. Also, try to implement a CRM program to manage your orders and messages. Currently, Fiverr Does not have such a system in place, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t do this outside of the Fiverr system to help you build your business.

This is part of my 2018 goal. To implement a CRM program and to manage orders and messages more effectively. I saw this coming a year ago. Hope this helps… Please reach out if you need any advice.

Thank you,

Darren Tunstall

Mod Note: Contact details/self promotion should not be included in comments.

This is part of my 2018 goal. To implement a CRM program

What is a CRM system?

omg!!! 😮

I think that all of us should talk seriously with Fiverr to reanalyze the new rules

omg!!! 😮

Or, maybe we should just find ways to work with the new system, and not keep complaining about it over… and over… and over… and over… and over on the forums. 😉

I was demoted, but I understand because I couldn’t keep the order volume due to my daily job and some vacations.
However, system told me I have to keep my order completion 90% to maintain level ONE. I had 3 cancelled order since I worked here. One unreasonable cancel after I worked 4 days; one overpaid and I suggested cancel&re-ordered and she did it; one $300 order 2 weeks ago, cancelled right as I checked the notification of order requirement completed “get start”, the reason ’ sorry I made a mistake’, then this made my completion rate from 98% to 78% suddendly. I hope I won’t be demoted to ‘new seller’ on Feb 15. lol.
I would like to suggest fiverr team, could we have the right ‘reject the order’ before the order affect our performance.

This is part of my 2018 goal. To implement a CRM program

What is a CRM system?

CRM stands for customer relationship manager. Many businesses use CRM software to help automate staying in touch with customers or following up with them after an oreder to make sure things went smoothly.

Actually this point isn’t true;

Submit Unspam Requests

the way the Fiverr system works, you have to respond to every request, even spam ones. If a spam user has already been blocked, just submit an “Unblock User” request in the messaging system, and send them a “No Thanks” response.

When you do that, the response rate will drop automatically. I already met with this a few times. I’ve unblocked the user, responded and right after that the response rate dropped to 99% or 98%. I always needed to fix this with the resolution center as the response rate counter has this bug. If the user is blocked, simply delete his message and don’t respond to it. That’s what the customer support guys also told me.

I´ve had that happen as well, never mind which of the solutions given on the forum or by CS I tried, my rate invariably dropped after such messages, even as far as to 86%.

“If the user is blocked, simply delete his message and don’t respond to it.” wasn´t among the things CS told me on the several occasions when I had to contact them about this, by the way, and I don´t think the former help pages had it, but currently, the Help Center text has this - it doesn´t talk about those pre-blocked spam messages though, which always were my problem, but wanted to leave that here because of the “(and all messages from the user)” which I guess may be news to some, it surely was to me:

Reporting a spam message is simple: just click the word “Report” next to a new message (and all messages from the user). After you report it, you need to delete the message (only the first message if you received a number of messages).

Baseline, anyway, spam messages, especially those we see in our inbox as already blocked by Fiverr, shouldn´t count.

‘Report all instances of a spam message and delete only the first message (if several)’ certainly seems a bit complicated and unintuitive, the spam steals our time already as is since we need to (log in and) read and report/reply/delete, it shouldn´t jeopardise our rates, at least.

Why do I have to respond to each and everyone of those messages?

You don´t have to, you only need to reply to the first message of the same person within some timeframe; unfortunately, that timeframe doesn´t seem to be written anywhere, but I think I´ve read things like weeks or months even on the forum before. Typically, you shouldn´t have a problem if you replied to someone once already until the order is done with, you just need to reply to all messages from people who message for the first time within that timeframe, not to any follow-up message like them giving you updates on the gig.

Would for sure be good to know that timeframe, though. Maybe @paulmaplesden Paul could ask his contact about that, would be great to get an exact number for that, Paul.

So what’s your recommendation when a Buyer orders by mistake, is unresponsive or doesn’t read your Gig details and requests a service that you don’t advertise (and/or advertise against) or simply wants to cancel for reasons simply out of a Sellers control?

Because (no matter the reason) if a Buyer wants to cancel an Order a Seller cannot force them not to but regardless a Buyer’s cancellation it can and will effects a Sellers “Level Status”…

YES! This really needs to be addressed since while I was not demoted yesterday I literally made it by the skin of my teeth!

I had to change all my gigs when this new review process came out and I removed my different gig options. The reason? Buyers did not read my gigs properly and placed orders for me to publish their guest posts without sending them to check first. Very often the content was very low quality leaving me with a choice between publishing awful content that would damage my website while keeping my Fiverr account in good standing or to cancel the order and have it negatively affect my Fiverr account.

Every time the option I chose when I cancelled was that the buyer ordered something not offered in my gig. If this option is chosen then surely it should not affect an account?

The result in my case personally is that I lose out on income, and in turn Fiverr earns less money. I am not too worried about that though since Fiverr is not my main income by a long shot so it doesn’t affect me too badly, but my heart goes out to those sellers that do rely on Fiverr for a full time income or even a significant portion of their income.

I trust that Fiverr will look into it soon and come up with a possible work around. I am sure it has been heart breaking for the sellers that have been demoted for this reason.

Great advice although its very frustrating to lose your level to just one percent. I was wondering about response rate when you message someone back and forth you cant always reply to people if the conversation has ended, for example I say thank you, they say thank you back, I send a smiley face then they send a smiley face but you cant exactly reply to that, so is that effecting response rate and also spam messages, one buyer i blocked but somehow a few days ago he could contact me again and sent me about 6 spam messages i reported the messages, although the response rate has been very buggy and mine has been stuck at 89% for a while now. All i need to do is improve response rate then everything will be fine but I’m having a hard time doing that and customer support have not helped me.

for example I say thank you, they say thank you back, I send a smiley face then they send a smiley face but you cant exactly reply to that, so is that effecting response rate

I´m not sure why so many people would think this, as this would really be ridiculous. You only need to reply to someone´s first message. I have a lot of regular customers and I don´t reply to every message or smiley face and it doesn´t affect my response rate.

The thing that affects my response rate though are bugs, like the one regarding pre-blocked spam messages, and I had that stuck rate bug a few times too.

I also had my rate drop because apparently some of my replies had not registered, and when I contacted CS about it they told me names I supposedly hadn´t replied to, which I could send them screenshots of, showing I had, and they sent it to the tech team without any results so far (has been weeks now), and they did not reset my rate (which they had done when the pre-blogged spam bug hit).

Still, people, please don´t think you need to reply to 20 messages from the same person at the same day and need to have the last word, that would really be crazy, the forum is literally full of posts saying that isn´t the case, and here is what Fiverr says on the relevant page (bolding mine):

Is Every Inbox Message Factored Into My Response Rate?

The Response Rate Indicator tracks your first response to a new request. After that first reply, the rest of the conversation isn’t tracked, although it is important to continue conversations with Buyers until a conclusion is reached.

ETA:

I´ve been made aware by someone who has used the Available Now feature that if you use that, it could indeed be that you need “to have the last word”, so the above is only valid for “normal” conversations, not for Available Now, I can´t speak for AN, I don´t use it.

this happens to me,fiverr should bound as atleast 80%completion

Great advice although its very frustrating to lose your level to just one percent. I was wondering about response rate when you message someone back and forth you cant always reply to people if the conversation has ended, for example I say thank you, they say thank you back, I send a smiley face then they send a smiley face but you cant exactly reply to that, so is that effecting response rate and also spam messages, one buyer i blocked but somehow a few days ago he could contact me again and sent me about 6 spam messages i reported the messages, although the response rate has been very buggy and mine has been stuck at 89% for a while now. All i need to do is improve response rate then everything will be fine but I’m having a hard time doing that and customer support have not helped me.

I have the same story all the time. I have just been demoted because of 86% response rate instead of 90% ?!?!??!? When I work hard for several years now, respond to EVERYTHING, I OVERDELIVER on most of my sales but hey, that doesn’t count. Fiverr set up a system to demote people - and if you ever will get promoted again will depend on the mood of the editoral team, haha. Fiverr has become a joke to work at.

This topic is about how to not get demoted? Well you can’t avoid that because the system is buggy. I respond to everything as quick as I can (WELL YES, sometimes it can take 26 hours instead of 24 and I get punished for that. I think this is ridiculous. There is no way to avoid that.

Another problem is that the fiverr system in itself is buggy and sometimes doesn’t register replies properly. I demanded contact to someone from the fiverr staff personally. After all after beeing a top rated seller for 3 years I tought I have “earned” the right to speak to someone from fiverr inside, not the support staff. No can do, they won’t even contact me to anyone just because. I tell them that the support does support and my inquiries are no longer solveable by the support staff but fiverr doesn’t care. I felt some time ago that this website both traffic and quality decreases over the past year but what is happening now is just a shame and I guess this marketplace will become a waste.

I have the same story all the time. I have just been demoted because of 86% response rate instead of 90% ?!?!??!? When I work hard for several years now, respond to EVERYTHING, I OVERDELIVER on most of my sales but hey, that doesn’t count. Fiverr set up a system to demote people - and if you ever will get promoted again will depend on the mood of the editoral team, haha. Fiverr has become a joke to work at.

This topic is about how to not get demoted? Well you can’t avoid that because the system is buggy. I respond to everything as quick as I can (WELL YES, sometimes it can take 26 hours instead of 24 and I get punished for that. I think this is ridiculous. There is no way to avoid that.

Another problem is that the fiverr system in itself is buggy and sometimes doesn’t register replies properly. I demanded contact to someone from the fiverr staff personally. After all after beeing a top rated seller for 3 years I tought I have “earned” the right to speak to someone from fiverr inside, not the support staff. No can do, they won’t even contact me to anyone just because. I tell them that the support does support and my inquiries are no longer solveable by the support staff but fiverr doesn’t care. I felt some time ago that this website both traffic and quality decreases over the past year but what is happening now is just a shame and I guess this marketplace will become a waste.

right,they decrease my completion rate byself at the same time ,when evaluation is going on

Guest tamarabfritz

Just been demoted for 83% response rate. REALLY not happy about it, but I’ve been looking for a reason to leave Fiverr so I might do just that. Like really, after years of being a level 2 and earning my keep, not responding to a few spam messages gets me sent back to 1.

Archived