Dubbing Movies from Spanish to English

willstauff

So I’m dubbing a couple of charachters in a Spanish speaking movie. It’s an enormous task and I charged 400.00 (which I’m glad I did)

My co-worker with a ton of voice acting experience who first turned me on to fiverr at my radio station first thing out of his mouth, “yeah I try to stay away from Dubbing…” eeeee that’s not promising…

Seems like an impossible task at times. Anyone have a similar experience? Professional dubbing services for major motion pictures is much easier from what I hear then trying to do it in your home studio.

Any thoughts or suggestions to make it easier would be appreciated.

I would suggest creating a translation and make each line as a closed caption marker in your video software. Then Create the voice over. Then separate or split each line of audio and match the start of each line with the marker in the software. Carefully edit the clips in regard to breaths. Render the new video with the new audio track. This work flow allows you to use different vendors if you need to.

I would suggest creating a translation and make each line as a closed caption marker in your video software. Then Create the voice over. Then separate or split each line of audio and match the start of each line with the marker in the software. Carefully edit the clips in regard to breaths. Render the new video with the new audio track. This work flow allows you to use different vendors if you need to.

Thank you for the suggestions. This is my first movie dub. I’m learning that those time stamps or markers are your friend…and in the process I’ve learned the hard way…eyeballing is not going to cut it 😄

Well!

Here in Spain we work in this order:

1. Get the original script.
  2. Translate the original script to your language.
  3. Adjust the translated script so that it fits the mouths of the characters.
  4. Record.
  5. Master.

We have a professional translator, a professional “adjuster” (I don’t really know if that guy has a name in english), professional actors and a professional mixer. Each one is a top notch pro at his job, and that’s why things are extremely easy: you just focus on your part.

As an actor, when I get to the studio, the script is perfectly translated and adjusted. I only have to get there, see the original, rehearse the take a couple of times, and record. A sound technician will take care of all the video scrubbing, recording and editing of my raw takes, so I don’t have to touch any keyboard - at all. Furthermore, the dubbing director (present at the studio - and usually the guy who did the adjustment process of the script) will aid me to get the appropriate acting.

So, to make things as easier as possible, you should firstly make sure the script is properly adjusted - so that when you get to record you only have to focus on the acting & recording. It is also important that in the script you mark important reference guides that will make your life a lot easier.

• Breaks in the speech (marked with a “/” - eg. “My mum / left home when i was six.”
  • Mark the sentences that start off-video (eg. “(OFF) Get back (ON) here you moron!”). That way you’ll know that you have to pay attention to the timecode or a visual reference to know you have to start there.
  • Mark gestures and non-verbal sounds. (eg. “(G) / Get off me!”, “(BREATH) What a race.”, etc.)

I’ll paste a sample script (in Spanish) I have over here for you to get an idea:

411632238_Image001.png.492de2155600c7b06adf760b87276bf1.png

Archived