Worst Day at Fiverr ever! (well... till now)

wasi0013

Eh, I doubt that this is illegal. The same thing happened when I worked at an unnamed Taco fast food restaurant that may or may not have had a Chinuanua mascot at one point.

Let’s say a customer went into Unnamed Taco and ordered 50$ worth of burritos with someone else’s credit card. The owner of the card finds out, and then requests their money back. Unnamed Taco HR will submit a chargeback and give it to the particular store to pay the customer back.

This means that Unnamed Taco is missing out on 50$ worth of burritos, as well as not having the money. It’s considered theft, a loss of sales, but since it happened at just one of the stores, that store takes the hit.

While it may be different in Israel where Fiverr HR is located, but here in the US and most places, that is the case. Fiverr is not taking 100$ that you own, they are taking 100$ that you should never have gotten because it was stolen money.

For instance, here in the US, if you cash a check for 10,000$, take out 10,000$, and then later discover that the check bounced, you will owe 10,000$. The bank will not care if you were the victim of a scam. They will not forgive the balance, as that affects their bottom line.

So no, that is not illegal. In the case of Fiverr, that money was considered stolen property, and therefore is not technically yours. So if you already withdrew the money, and then a chargeback happened, you have to pay it back.

It may not seem fair, but in cases like this, it is hard to let everyone be winners. Tracking down every single anonymous buyer that requests a chargeback and suspect them of fraud will take up more money that Fiverr receives from the order. Fiverr taking the brunt and allowing clients to keep the money is a surefire way to allow clients to game the system and get free money, and it is also not the fault of Fiverr that someone stole someone else’s debit card. But the client also did the work, and should be entitled to his compensation.

It’s a tricky and winding situation with no clear solutions.

For instance, here in the US, if you cash a check for 10,000$, take out 10,000$, and then later discover that the check bounced, you will owe 10,000$. The bank will not care if you were the victim of a scam. They will not forgive the balance, as that affects their bottom line

What if you cash a check for 10,000$, take out 10,000$ pay off a 10,000$ debt to a third party, then discover that the check bounced and the third party has already spent the money?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2017 at 7:33 PM, mgjohn78 said:

For instance, here in the US, if you cash a check for 10,000$, take out 10,000$, and then later discover that the check bounced, you will owe 10,000$. The bank will not care if you were the victim of a scam. They will not forgive the balance, as that affects their bottom line

What if you cash a check for 10,000$, take out 10,000$ pay off a 10,000$ debt to a third party, then discover that the check bounced and the third party has already spent the money?

The bank does not care. Let’s say that I gave you a fraudulent check for 10,000$, and asked you to cash it for me and give me the money. Let’s say I can’t get a bank account or something like that.

You cash the check, withdraw the 10,000$, and give it to me. The bank finds out that it is a fraudulent check, and charges you 10,000$. The bank will not chanrge ME anything, as me and the bank have no connection.

However, you could sue me or press criminal charges against me if you wanted to in that case. But the bank will not charge me, and you still have to pay the bank back the money, and it will hurt your credit score.

So if the OP wants to try to take his buyer to court, which will be hard because they most likely live in certain parts of the world, he would be able to, and may win more than 285$. But neither Fiverr nor the bank is going to front the costs for you, even if you were the victim of a scam, or even if you don’t personally have the money anymore.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your gig was denied, it’s gone. Fiverr will not bring it back, and you might as well just cut your ties and start a new gig.

The bank does not care. Let’s say that I gave you a fraudulent check for 10,000$, and asked you to cash it for me and give me the money. Let’s say I can’t get a bank account or something like that.

You cash the check, withdraw the 10,000$, and give it to me. The bank finds out that it is a fraudulent check, and charges you 10,000$. The bank will not chanrge ME anything, as me and the bank have no connection.

However, you could sue me or press criminal charges against me if you wanted to in that case. But the bank will not charge me, and you still have to pay the bank back the money, and it will hurt your credit score.

So if the OP wants to try to take his buyer to court, which will be hard because they most likely live in certain parts of the world, he would be able to, and may win more than 285$. But neither Fiverr nor the bank is going to front the costs for you, even if you were the victim of a scam, or even if you don’t personally have the money anymore.

To turn that in to a fiverr scenario, you would be both the buyer and the seller and i would be fiverr.

To turn that in to a fiverr scenario, you would be both the buyer and the seller and i would be fiverr.

Fiverr is a much more difficult nut to crack, but I already explained it in the Unnamed Taco scenario. Fiverr would be HR, and we would technically be like the individual stores. But like I said, it is hard to find ethical grounds, as neither Fiverr nor the seller is at fault here, the buyer is at fault. But perusing the entire world to try to find a fraudster just for a 1$ per 5$ spent (Fiverr’s cut) order, (Fiverr’s cut of 285 is just 57$.) It would not make sense financially. The seller will not pursue legal actions either for the same reason.

But I will tell you that Fiverr is not going to pay for it while the seller keeps the funds. The bank wiill not ignore it either. And the buyer is probably on the other side of the world… so…

Fiverr is a much more difficult nut to crack, but I already explained it in the Unnamed Taco scenario. Fiverr would be HR, and we would technically be like the individual stores. But like I said, it is hard to find ethical grounds, as neither Fiverr nor the seller is at fault here, the buyer is at fault. But perusing the entire world to try to find a fraudster just for a 1$ per 5$ spent (Fiverr’s cut) order, (Fiverr’s cut of 285 is just 57$.) It would not make sense financially. The seller will not pursue legal actions either for the same reason.

But I will tell you that Fiverr is not going to pay for it while the seller keeps the funds. The bank wiill not ignore it either. And the buyer is probably on the other side of the world… so…

Yeah the more parties the more complicated things get. + the fact that fiverr don’t provide any proof to the seller that fraud was committed before charging the seller, well actually not even proof that a chargeback was made. This makes it impossible for many sellers to file for tax reductions to cover losses, make insurance claims etc

This is just silly. Once Fiverr has released funds to sellers, chargebacks which happen later become their problem. I have no dealing with Paypal if Fiverr allowed me to, I would take u a case with Paypal on the event of a chargeback. Fiverr doesn’t do this. It doesn’t take funds back from sellers which pertain to the order in question, it fraudulently confiscates earnings from separate orders which have been accrued since and gives these to Paypal, rather than take the hit itself which if it did, would see it work harder to challenge every chargeback on a case by case basis.

If I buy a PC from PC World right now and do a chargeback in six months, can you imagine what would hapen if PC World called in Sally who processed the order and said, “Hey, Sally, we can’t pay you this month because the customer you took an order from a few months ago just filed a chargeback with us.”

You touched on two issues. First off, yes, it’s annoying that PayPal won’t talk to you because it’s between them and Fiverr and you’re nobody. I’d be more than happy to fight for my money on my own behalf.

But there’s also the issue that the amount of most chargebacks that Fiverr can’t be bothered to fight (and we’ve seen with larger chargebacks, they will dispute PayPal) probably amount to a rounding error for the company, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

You touched on two issues. First off, yes, it’s annoying that PayPal won’t talk to you because it’s between them and Fiverr and you’re nobody. I’d be more than happy to fight for my money on my own behalf.

But there’s also the issue that the amount of most chargebacks that Fiverr can’t be bothered to fight (and we’ve seen with larger chargebacks, they will dispute PayPal) probably amount to a rounding error for the company, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

Well, for Fiverr, they get 20% of what we get. If I get a 500$ order, they get 100$ of it. Fiverr is a multimillion-dollar corporation, disputing PayPal over 50ish dollars may seem like a waste of time or would cost more to dispute it than they would get back.

Well, for Fiverr, they get 20% of what we get. If I get a 500$ order, they get 100$ of it. Fiverr is a multimillion-dollar corporation, disputing PayPal over 50ish dollars may seem like a waste of time or would cost more to dispute it than they would get back.

I agree completely. However, the $20 chargeback most sellers deal with six months after the order was completed is a rounding error for a multi-million dollar corporation, There’s no good reason to put somebody in the negative.

Well like hell am I letting anyone take back the money I rightfully earned. I don’t care if it’s legal, I don’t care if it’s an accustomed practice, these things happen because people let them happen. I wasn’t raised to be a pushover and I am the pettiest human being you’ll ever encounter, if I have to face to Mr. Paypal himself to get my money back you’re damn right I will.

You take my money and then have the nerve to make me pay you back? Lol good luck with that, bud.

Well like hell am I letting anyone take back the money I rightfully earned. I don’t care if it’s legal, I don’t care if it’s an accustomed practice, these things happen because people let them happen. I wasn’t raised to be a pushover and I am the pettiest human being you’ll ever encounter, if I have to face to Mr. Paypal himself to get my money back you’re damn right I will.

You take my money and then have the nerve to make me pay you back? Lol good luck with that, bud.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it back.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it back.

Hopefully I won’t ever have to even try, but sure thing!

Chargebacks are very common in any business. So you can contest it all you want, hell, you might even win. If you really want to avoid Chargebacks, then refuse to accept credit or debit cards as payment, always ask people to send you the money in the form of a money order or cold hard cash.

Chargebacks are very common in any business. So you can contest it all you want, hell, you might even win. If you really want to avoid Chargebacks, then refuse to accept credit or debit cards as payment, always ask people to send you the money in the form of a money order or cold hard cash.

always ask people to send you the money in the form of a money order or cold hard cash.

You can’t say any buyer this in Fiverr.

I also have my own business. Thanks for kind advice.

Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr, if you have your own business, you can tell your customers to pay you in cash or a money order. If all of your payments go through Fiverr, and you follow Fiverr TOS you can’t. If you have your own payment structure in your own business, you can.

Nobody is above how economics, legalities, and people work. Yes, that includes you. If you want to avoid chargebacks, then make your own website, make your own standalone business, and only accept payments in cash or money order. But you can’t do that while your business is attached solely to Fiverr. Period.

Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr, if you have your own business, you can tell your customers to pay you in cash or a money order. If all of your payments go through Fiverr, and you follow Fiverr TOS you can’t. If you have your own payment structure in your own business, you can.

Nobody is above how economics, legalities, and people work. Yes, that includes you. If you want to avoid chargebacks, then make your own website, make your own standalone business, and only accept payments in cash or money order. But you can’t do that while your business is attached solely to Fiverr. Period.

Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr,

So you just told me that.

I did not read all your post after this sentence “Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr,” as you act like what you suggest me.

Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr,

So you just told me that.

I did not read all your post after this sentence “Then don’t tell me what you can or cannot do on Fiverr,” as you act like what you suggest me.

Read the rest of what I said, and read it with clarity before you respond again.

Then start your own business.

Did we have a conversation about someone needing to be a bit more chill to not starting forum wars and potentially getting banned…? Cause this is the kinda stuff that starts all that 😉 Let’s walk away from this thread and forget about it maybe? When you think about it, all this is futile anyway.

Did we have a conversation about someone needing to be a bit more chill to not starting forum wars and potentially getting banned…? Cause this is the kinda stuff that starts all that 😉 Let’s walk away from this thread and forget about it maybe? When you think about it, all this is futile anyway.

Agreed. I will stop arguing. It seems pointless arguing with someone who openly stated they didn’t read what I said anyways, so…

About that chewable coffee I mentioned earlier. You should try it and let me know how it’s like.

Archived