How Will Net Neutrality Effect Fiverr?

lucycodex

See what just happened? Because we’re on a private forum rather than a public one, we just got told what we can and can’t talk about.

I’d love to stay and chat about what free economics and capitalism really looks like as opposed to the strange system people cheer for in the world’s most in debt and cash poor society. I’m afraid, however, that since our discussion would be likely cencorced, I’m just going to log off and walk the dog. 🙂

I accept your withdrawl from the argument.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naaa, not going to happen. Don’t worry.

Do you know what our government is like now? 🙁

Watch FCC’s Ajit Pai dress up as Santa and wield a lightsaber to mock net neutrality rules:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/12/14/the-fccs-ajit-pai-dressed-up-as-santa-and-wielded-a-light-saber-to-mock-net-neutrality-rules/?utm_term=.0303b12b4e90strong text

Do you know what our government is like now? 🙁

Watch FCC’s Ajit Pai dress up as Santa and wield a lightsaber to mock net neutrality rules:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/12/14/the-fccs-ajit-pai-dressed-up-as-santa-and-wielded-a-light-saber-to-mock-net-neutrality-rules/?utm_term=.0303b12b4e90strong text

Ok, I was worried at first, but I think you are taking Net Neutrality to it’s logical extreme. Like when people claimed that if Trump was elected president, we will lose gay and interracial marriage rights and Trump will bring back slavery and zap gays, etc. Hasn’t happened yet, probably will never happen.

I don’t think any countries have broken the internet up into segments to sell, although ISP’s have a right to do that now like Cable companies do. However, the way it is often portrayed seems… off.

ISP’s are not idiots, they understand how users work and what they can do to provide usage that fits the customer’s lifestyle. They understand that the internet is a multifaceted system and people are unwilling to want to pay extra money to access their emails, or to break it up into online shopping, or social networks. Not even cable companies, which do block access to certain channels based on whether you can pay, can do that.

ISP’s will most likely charge via Bandwidth usage, and not block access to sites, similar to how phone data plans operate. They are unlikely to break the internet into segments and sell them at separate prices, as that is not how the internet works. The same way they didn’t break cable television into “news, entertainment, educational, movies, and other” They gave a basic cable package and allow you to buy more channels with other packages, like HBO and Primetime.

YouTube, Wordpress, Bluehost, Google, Etc will most likely accept the brunt of the charges. Chances are, your wordpress site hosted by Godaddy will be fine.

So as far as I am aware, the internet is not going to end.

the FCC is getting out of the way.

Why even have any FCC at all then? Let it be a free for all with pirate radio and tv stations for anyone who wants one and gets herself a transmitter?

Awesome I can open my own tv station, witch tv.

The FCC was created to regulate the public airwaves. Back in the day, there was hideous interference from competing radio stations, so FDR created the FCC so each station would apply for a license and broadcast where you’re supposed to.

The FCC has no domain over basic or basic or premium cable because it’s not considered a public airwave. It’s not broadcast (except for satellite TV, but the FCC doesn’t count satellite TV as a public airwave). That’s why South Park, The Walking Dead, and other shows are able to push the envelope.

Since the Internet doesn’t travel in the public airwaves, the FCC isn’t supposed to have any domain. TV is different, because you would create interference. For example, if a college radio station transmits in a closed circuit, the FCC has no jurisdiction, but if they broadcast, the FCC can fine them for obscenity and other rule violation. Cable and internet are considered closed circuits, think about it, you pay for them, they don’t come for free.

Ok, I was worried at first, but I think you are taking Net Neutrality to it’s logical extreme. Like when people claimed that if Trump was elected president, we will lose gay and interracial marriage rights and Trump will bring back slavery and zap gays, etc. Hasn’t happened yet, probably will never happen.

I don’t think any countries have broken the internet up into segments to sell, although ISP’s have a right to do that now like Cable companies do. However, the way it is often portrayed seems… off.

ISP’s are not idiots, they understand how users work and what they can do to provide usage that fits the customer’s lifestyle. They understand that the internet is a multifaceted system and people are unwilling to want to pay extra money to access their emails, or to break it up into online shopping, or social networks. Not even cable companies, which do block access to certain channels based on whether you can pay, can do that.

ISP’s will most likely charge via Bandwidth usage, and not block access to sites, similar to how phone data plans operate. They are unlikely to break the internet into segments and sell them at separate prices, as that is not how the internet works. The same way they didn’t break cable television into “news, entertainment, educational, movies, and other” They gave a basic cable package and allow you to buy more channels with other packages, like HBO and Primetime.

YouTube, Wordpress, Bluehost, Google, Etc will most likely accept the brunt of the charges. Chances are, your wordpress site hosted by Godaddy will be fine.

Great points.

I have Google fiber. I pay $50 for 100M up and down. I could pay more for gigabit speed, but I am not mad that it costs more to go faster, nor do I feel that I have a right for someone else to pay to give it to me. I choose what I want off the menu, and if Google gets stupid, customers will leave and they lose. It all really works.

Great points.

I have Google fiber. I pay $50 for 100M up and down. I could pay more for gigabit speed, but I am not mad that it costs more to go faster, nor do I feel that I have a right for someone else to pay to give it to me. I choose what I want off the menu, and if Google gets stupid, customers will leave and they lose. It all really works.

I may be technologically illiterate, but 100 megabytes seems incredibly small.

When we got our first ever Windows 98 PC when I was a wee whipper snapper, I decided to prank my mum by setting the screensaver to say “FATAL ERROR COMPUTER INOPERABLE!!!” Me and my sister then went to tell my mum there was a problem with the new expensive computer but it all backfired as she started crying and smacking us over the head saying “I knew you’d bloody break it!”

See what just happened? Because we’re on a private forum rather than a public one, we just got told what we can and can’t talk about.

I’d love to stay and chat about what free economics and capitalism really looks like as opposed to the strange system people cheer for in the world’s most in debt and cash poor society. I’m afraid, however, that since our discussion would be likely cencorced, I’m just going to log off and walk the dog. 🙂

Nah, I am just an advocate of Forum Neutrality.

Archived