Big language barriers - how to deal?

thefarrahmonste

its different with music, there is so many things to think about, vocal ranges is just one, ive had to cancel so many orders because songs were not in my range and the person ordering did not contact me before saying can you sing this, so for me its very important.

I think you should mention your vocal ranges in the gig description. Say you’re an Alto or a Soprano, I don’t know the terms, music isn’t my thing.

What we have in common is the subjectivity of our gigs. Who decides if the work we did was good? The buyer. Can we convince him something is good when he thinks it’s not? Rarely. Usually we end up revising.

Subjective and creative gigs can make us a lot of money, but they can create lots of problems. Fiverr doesn’t understand this, Fiverr demands a completion rate of 90%, what if 15% of clients demand refunds? What if one revision isn’t enough? What if we get bad ratings for not revising more? What if the buyer doesn’t demand a revision but give us a bad rating?

I’d also like to tell you that some of my worst reviews came from people that messaged first. They always seem to nice, so open minded, their projects seem so simple, so you send them a custom offer, they order, and then the truth reveals itself, after you deliver.

It’s okay to tell them “i don’t understand” so they can explain more.
One time i use google translator cause my client doesn’t know English and then I checked her country and use google translator to communicate with her. I am sure my translator were really bad but as long as we understand each other it’s all good.

• 2 months later...

I think you should mention your vocal ranges in the gig description. Say you’re an Alto or a Soprano, I don’t know the terms, music isn’t my thing.

What we have in common is the subjectivity of our gigs. Who decides if the work we did was good? The buyer. Can we convince him something is good when he thinks it’s not? Rarely. Usually we end up revising.

Subjective and creative gigs can make us a lot of money, but they can create lots of problems. Fiverr doesn’t understand this, Fiverr demands a completion rate of 90%, what if 15% of clients demand refunds? What if one revision isn’t enough? What if we get bad ratings for not revising more? What if the buyer doesn’t demand a revision but give us a bad rating?

I’d also like to tell you that some of my worst reviews came from people that messaged first. They always seem to nice, so open minded, their projects seem so simple, so you send them a custom offer, they order, and then the truth reveals itself, after you deliver.

You can’t really just mention your vocal range in a gig description, it’s not that simple unfortunately. An alto can have a different range from another alto. A soprano can have a different range than another soprano. You would have to specify the exact notes you can hit, and most buyers are not going to be able to identify all the notes in their songs to tell you if it’s within your range. Also, just because you can hit a note one week doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be able to hit it the next week. If only our voices were as simple and predictable as you describe lol! Would make life more simple for sure.

Archived