How to WIN at voice acting

voiceofandres

1675069142_HowtoWIN.thumb.png.20c717179778f976d902beced279da92.png

How to WIN at voice acting

I bet you’re all sitting on the edge of your seat at this very moment in anticipation of finally learning the secret of HOW TO WIN at voice acting… just… like… the Pros! OK, the secret is…YOU CAN’T WIN! Sorry, I don’t mean to burst your bubble but if you’re willing to hear me out on this one; it just might revolutionize how you approach your business and give you a fresh perspective that will serve you well for years to come!

Let’s take a minute and look at the wonderful world of sports and games. Whether it’s football, baseball, running, or parcheesi; most sport or games are ultimately defined by a clock, finish line, or some predetermined and achievable ending where competitors are measured and a winner is declared. So tell me this…where exactly is the finish line for voice acting? When exactly will the clock run down to zero and buzzer sound for all you microphone warriors out there? Who is the competition and who gets to wear the gold, silver, or bronze metal?

SCENE: "Neo takes the red pill, and goes down the irreversible rabbit hole"

Ladies and gentlemen, we are all players in the same game of voice acting but we desperately need to get a handle on the rules of the game if we’re going to successfully participate in it. Can you imagine a football game where the clock never runs out? I would imagine that all of the players would eventually pass out from exhaustion or even worse…just throw their hands up in frustration and walk off the field. Too often I see aspiring voice actors get burned out and frustrated because they didn’t win that one audition or maybe they decided that if they can just make X per month they can finally feel like they’ve arrived, or even better yet they can finally quit their day job. Don’t get me wrong, these are all great milestones but when reality shows us that there’s no actual finish line for voice actors we are setting ourselves up for failure when chasing finite goals in the midst of an infinite game!

The only thing that truly matters is you, your mic, and the last track you recorded! The only metric that has any real lasting meaning in this industry is whether or not you have improved since the last time you captured that beautiful waveform! There’s a good reason why we encourage everyone (Beginners and Pros) to take classes, practice your craft, and join some kind of small group where you can get feedback on your progress. The only real competition you have is YOU!.. And, although I can’t tell you exactly when you will finally “Make it”, I can say with confidence that if you focus on making progress every time you get behind the mic and get help from someone who can point you in the right direction… your sense of accomplishment is only one voiceover away! Now, get off your sofa and get behind the mic because now you know… the “SKY” is literally the limit!

Andres Berrio - Voice Actor

Archived