Why don't sellers just accept an honest review

jerekiva

Where did you get the idea that I meant there aren’t people who offer great service?

It made me realise that you cannot trust when someone has only 5 stars, It may not mean much other than he is a good manipulator of the system 😕

I got that idea from what you said here.

I said it MAY not, not that it absolutely does not. Hope now that my point is clearer.

You really should not be penalised for a 4.5 rating 😕

How, and in what ways, is anyone penalized for a fantastic, positive 4.5-star review?

A 4.5-star review is NOT a bad review.

I thought so too, but I’m gonna quote an earlier post from someone who seems to understand the system:

“Yes it is a good review. Unfortunately the issue is Fiverr’s system. eg. in the new level system, getting an average of 4.5 stars over a 60 day period (which is a good rating) would mean the seller would be demoted and go down a level/levels (eg. for level 1 you need >=4.8 stars on average, for level 2 you also need >=4.8 stars on average in the new system). So sellers could have a lot less active gigs if their average rating falls below 4.8 stars on the new system. The average rating also affects the ability to post offers in the “buyer requests” section. Lowering these requirements would be a good idea I think and would make sellers less bothered about ratings <4.8 stars. I think it would also lead to a more honest/fair review system (where people wouldn’t really mind getting 3 stars etc.)”

I recently had a seller tell me to give him a 5 star review so that he would then give me a 5 star review as a buyer. Kind of made my skin crawl a bit to be honest. The system is messed up!

Annoying, and actually kind of ignorant, because a buyer’s reviews matter not - in the big scheme of things.

It made me realise that you cannot trust when someone has only 5 stars, It may not mean much other than he is a good manipulator of the system 😕

Not likely though. If a customer truly didn’t like a service, how likely is it that a buyer can manipulate them into saying the service was great – 5 star service? More likely they would give a 3 or 4 star rating. What exactly could a seller say to change an angry, disappointed buyer’s mind – so that they go from 1 star to 5? And suddenly everything is hunky dorey?

In the event that the review IS changed (and NOW a 5 star), it’s likely the seller re-delivered something that was 100% acceptable to the buyer.

In addition, some sellers have a ton of regular customers that always give 5 stars - so they have mostly 5 star reviews. They can be trusted.

Would you have changed a 1 star review or given a 5 star, if you weren’t completely happy? No, not a chance… Most buyers think like you. 😉

Not likely though. If a customer truly didn’t like a service, how likely is it that a buyer can manipulate them into saying the service was great – 5 star service? More likely they would give a 3 or 4 star rating. What exactly could a seller say to change an angry, disappointed buyer’s mind – so that they go from 1 star to 5? And suddenly everything is hunky dorey?

In the event that the review IS changed (and NOW a 5 star), it’s likely the seller re-delivered something that was 100% acceptable to the buyer.

In addition, some sellers have a ton of regular customers that always give 5 stars - so they have mostly 5 star reviews. They can be trusted.

Would you have changed a 1 star review or given a 5 star, if you weren’t completely happy? No, not a chance… Most buyers think like you. 😉

I wouldn’t even know how to “manipulate reviews” if I wanted to.

Some of them just offer to give you the stuff for free, and I guess many people like free stuff. I agree that your scenario is more likely, but I still do think that the rating is not a true reflection of a fair number of reviews. Also, I believe a large number of sympathetic buyers will give 5 stars for ok service if they feel 3 stars will too negatively impact the seller, or if they are harassed by the seller to do so. For instance, I’ve encountered pleasant sellers who are outright incompetent, but I would feel bad to give them 2 stars. In instances like that I abstain but I do know people who have given in to giving an unfairly high rating.

Personally, I only give stellar performance. So I expect 5 star reviews everytime! 😂

No, honestly, depending on the amount of reviews, 5 stars is fishy when the seller has more than 1000 completed order. I do not look at it with new sellers, but under 4.5, my eyebrow starts to lift.

My girlfriend told me also that a 5/5 looks fishy. It is always good to have some kind of 4.5 or 3.5 somewhere. Makes you look human.

I received a 3.5 once. I honestly deserved it.

Personally, I only give stellar performance. So I expect 5 star reviews everytime! 😂

No, honestly, depending on the amount of reviews, 5 stars is fishy when the seller has more than 1000 completed order. I do not look at it with new sellers, but under 4.5, my eyebrow starts to lift.

My girlfriend told me also that a 5/5 looks fishy. It is always good to have some kind of 4.5 or 3.5 somewhere. Makes you look human.

I received a 3.5 once. I honestly deserved it.

Someone told me my service was stellar, but gave me a 4.5 star rating using the same rationale as you are. “It looks more natural” – but TRUTH should supersede what “looks more natural” - if I provide a stellar 5 star service, I fully expect 5 stars.

That’s not an unreasonable expectation. I take pride in what I do, and I am very good at it.

Someone told me my service was stellar, but gave me a 4.5 star rating using the same rationale as you are. “It looks more natural” – but TRUTH should supersede what “looks more natural” - if I provide a stellar 5 star service, I fully expect 5 stars.

That’s not an unreasonable expectation. I take pride in what I do, and I am very good at it.

Sorry. Not everyone thinks like you.

And I know 4.5 has consequences on this platform. But the seller doesn’t have the bigger end of the stick.

Guest offlinehelpers

And I know 4.5 has consequences on this platform. But the seller doesn’t have the bigger end of the stick.

But the seller doesn’t have the bigger end of the stick.

But they’ve got a pretty big bit of it if they’ve got all genuine 5 star reviews. Some folks have, and have done it 100% legitimately.

They do… and some abuse that power - hoping to squeeze more out of the seller, OR simply having extremely unreasonable expectations… perhaps as newbie buyers.

I still maintain, if I provide a stellar 5 star service - I expect a 5 star review. If I don’t get it, I have enough honest, regular buyers for it not to affect me badly.

Guest offlinehelpers

I still don’t think it is accurate.

And I still don’t understand why - if the reviews are genuine, why can’t they be accurate? If a seller has achieved 5 star reviews every single time, surely that can only be a good thing?

You have the right to give whatever review you think the seller deserves.

4.5 might seem good on a scale of 5. But relatively to the fiverr average, anything but 5 is bad. You can see that most of the gigs in search result are 5 stars, you’ll rarely see anything below. Most buyers give 5 stars if the work is just done according to the requirements.

On my own personal view, I don’t think the 5 star system is effective, maybe they should replace it with a binary like/dislike thumb up/down system. or even a 3 degrees scale: Good, Average, Bad.

You have the right to give whatever review you think the seller deserves.

4.5 might seem good on a scale of 5. But relatively to the fiverr average, anything but 5 is bad. You can see that most of the gigs in search result are 5 stars, you’ll rarely see anything below. Most buyers give 5 stars if the work is just done according to the requirements.

On my own personal view, I don’t think the 5 star system is effective, maybe they should replace it with a binary like/dislike thumb up/down system. or even a 3 degrees scale: Good, Average, Bad.

They had a thumbs up or down system, which was very flawed - basically leaving - sellers as sitting ducks. So what would be a three stars rating in our current setup, might get you a thumbs down, OR a thumbs up - but it was far too easy to simply hit the thumbs down impulsively. Good, AVG or bad - also leaves room for unreasonable reviews based on unreasonable expectations.

Based on our new ranking system, there would be a HUGE number on demotions utilizing a thumbs up/down or 3 degree scale.

I think the system as it is NOW 1-5 scale is great, IF buyer’s are honest and reasonable with their reviews, based on the result of the GIG description, they purchased.

Honesty matters.

I can’t believe we are here debating the legitimacy of seller’s reviews. Give exceptional sellers their props when it’s due. I’ve mostly 5-stars. In fact, only one 4.7 star and I absolutely deserve all my 5-stars. I go above and beyond with every sale I make. My clients can attest that sometimes they can’t pay me for the extra word count and it matters not to me. I still deliver a great plot that sometimes double the word count they paid for. Many of my clients have been repeat buyers. If they were not satisfied in some way, they would not have returned. My tips have also been great and every personal message I get about my work that doesn’t even feature in the review was how great what I delivered was. I got a whole $100 in tip for a job done and I’m tipped almost every single time. People do have great work ethics and are actually good-no make that excellent at what they do. I do not believe it is right to use a few bad apples and make it seem like it’s the majority who operate this way. And if you give a seller more rating that they deserve, this is on you, not the seller (even if they demand it)

I can’t believe we are here debating the legitimacy of seller’s reviews. Give exceptional sellers their props when it’s due. I’ve mostly 5-stars. In fact, only one 4.7 star and I absolutely deserve all my 5-stars. I go above and beyond with every sale I make. My clients can attest that sometimes they can’t pay me for the extra word count and it matters not to me. I still deliver a great plot that sometimes double the word count they paid for. Many of my clients have been repeat buyers. If they were not satisfied in some way, they would not have returned. My tips have also been great and every personal message I get about my work that doesn’t even feature in the review was how great what I delivered was. I got a whole $100 in tip for a job done and I’m tipped almost every single time. People do have great work ethics and are actually good-no make that excellent at what they do. I do not believe it is right to use a few bad apples and make it seem like it’s the majority who operate this way. And if you give a seller more rating that they deserve, this is on you, not the seller (even if they demand it)

Agreed. I bust my rear end to make sure buyer’s are satisfied, and I have a very large number of repeat customers, who routinely tip me.

My point on dishonesty is - with the 5 star rating criteria - including:

1. Communication With Seller

2. Service as Described

3. Buy Again or Recommend

I have found that buyers who have tried to manipulate me to give them more than what they paid for - who got exactly what they paid for… OR simply expected too much for $5 - will claim, NOT to have service as described, that my communication is poor… and that they wouldn’t buy again OR recommend – when in fact at least 2 of those should have been rated a full 5 stars, HAD they been honest: Service as described, and communication. If they feel they wouldn’t order or recommend me again, that’s personal preference and their prerogative. But the ability to be dishonest about communication, and service as described is way too easy to do, and totally dishonest - with the potential to harm a seller substantially. That’s NOT okay. Had they been honest, I would never have a less than 3 star rating.

I have very few negative ratings based on my number of sales, by the way.

I would just report them directly to CS

Just to note, not all sellers freak out like that over reviews. However, it is good to understand their mindset:

Fiverr is pretty strict when it comes to review totals. Which means that if they have a 4.7 over the course of 60 days, they become demoted from Level 2 to Level 1. So many people freak out over getting anything less than perfect.

That is not, however, an excuse for harassment, and you should add in the score you believe they deserve.

I expect to get five stars on every review, but I never ask for it. Why? Because it’s my job to provide exceptional service. To go above and beyond. To make sure my clients are completely happy and satisfied.

Being a freelancer isn’t a hobby for me - it’s my entire livelihood. It pays for my mortgage, puts food in my belly, lets me contribute to retirement, and ensures I can live a good life. I wouldn’t take the enormous risk of a freelance lifestyle if I wasn’t confident I could deliver a five-star service.

If you see lots of sellers with five-star reviews, it’s because we work damned hard to achieve them. Whenever I send a delivery to a client, I tell them that if there is anything they are not delighted with, to let me know, so I can fix it. And you know what? I then go ahead and fix it.

That’s why many of us have excellent reviews, because we know that it’s our reputation on the line, and in this marketplace, reputation is everything. So you can be sure we are going to do everything we can to protect it.

Archived