New Game Fruit and Veggies πŸ‰ πŸ… πŸ₯₯ 🍈 πŸ₯•

vickiespencer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian (King of Fruits), but smells bad…

Very interesting. I never heard of this fruit.

its odor is best described as pig-s***, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

It’s one of those rare plants that deliberately smell bad probably as an evolutionary attempt to repel animal predators. I once smelled a strange flowering plant that had flowers that smelled exactly like a skunk, even from far away.

Very interesting. I never heard of this fruit.

its odor is best described as pig-s***, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

It’s one of those rare plants that deliberately smell bad probably as an evolutionary attempt to repel animal predators. I once smelled a strange flowering plant that had flowers that smelled exactly like a skunk, even from far away.

I have never ate durians but I know some people who tasted it and they say that its taste is good but the big problem is the smell. They had to pinch their nose to taste it.

It’s really popular in Asia.

QUINCE

I have never had one?

I never did either.

I do not even think I have seen them in any stores around here.

We have them a lot here in my country, and I also have my own Quince tree to get the freshest ones.

They’re best either caramelized, or made a thick soup that’s uber-sweet and soft (eat with fresh crusty bread):

DSC02900.JPG.de2590bad2687eb4b5402567463ec0a6.JPG

gutui-caramelizate-1.jpg.b846f9b76e0c69135dbe0c455e699b0b.jpg

I just eat the last quince soup 2 days ago :crazy_face:

QUINCE

I have never had one?

I never did either.

I do not even think I have seen them in any stores around here.

We have them a lot here in my country, and I also have my own Quince tree to get the freshest ones.

They’re best either caramelized, or made a thick soup that’s uber-sweet and soft (eat with fresh crusty bread):

7c744143c078d903a2788741d0cbe47ffb659cd5.JPG

9da258aba8057018103b3cec91d3e55c7f22e6b6.jpg

I just eat the last quince soup 2 days ago :crazy_face:

Do they taste like pears?

Eaten as is, they’re sour-bitter, and they’re like a mix of apple & pear & a slight sensation of plum/grapes. They’re really hard, too πŸ”¨

Which is why most people prepare them by sweetening them and making them softer - this way they’ll become sour-sweet instead of sour-bitter, but the sour taste will persist, and it’s an amazing sensation, a taste that cannot really be explained or associated with anything.

Some eat it with bread when made as a thick β€œsoup” with flour & caramel, like me, some put chicken in that soup, others eat them simply caramelized with a piece of meat (pork)…

Suffice to say it tastes heavenly! :crazy_face:

We have those too, I love them. I eat them raw. Agree with Woofy on the β€˜taste that cannot really be explained’. Spotting the first ones every year brings a smile on my face and a tingling on my tongue, but I wouldnΒ΄t have them any other way than sour-bitter as they are. They seem…more…elemental, primordial…somehow than most of the apples and pears you find in the usual shops, some special old apple sorts youΒ΄d find in health food stores exempted. You do find them prepared as quince jelly though too, which is good, but I prefer them raw, still.

Eaten as is, they’re sour-bitter, and they’re like a mix of apple & pear & a slight sensation of plum/grapes. They’re really hard, too πŸ”¨

Which is why most people prepare them by sweetening them and making them softer - this way they’ll become sour-sweet instead of sour-bitter, but the sour taste will persist, and it’s an amazing sensation, a taste that cannot really be explained or associated with anything.

Some eat it with bread when made as a thick β€œsoup” with flour & caramel, like me, some put chicken in that soup, others eat them simply caramelized with a piece of meat (pork)…

My grand parents had a quince tree too.

This is not a very popular fruit. I don’t find it everywhere and lots of young people don’t know it.

In France we mostly make compotes or gelly with quinces and apples or we eat it cooked with some meat. It’s very popular to eat it quince gelly with β€œfoie gras” (duck liver).

I have been told that this fruit comes from persia but I have seen on a picture above that it’s written β€œfrench quince”. :thinking:

I’ll try to make a soup πŸ˜‰

My grandmother used to make fruit soup out of apples, raisins, prunes, and tapioca to thicken it. It was especially good with cream poured over it.

Archived