Tell me what stresses you out?

mojotherapy

Hi all, I’m really interested in understanding what stops you from being as effective as you could be?

I’m a counsellor and coach who runs a face-to-face practice here in the UK. I recently helped a freelancer friend when she was struggling with a personal problem. It had started to affect her work and she was feeling overwhelmed.

Sometimes writing something down can help you to see a problem from a different perspective and I am here to help you to break it down and find a way forward.

My friend and I bounced back a few emails and she said it really helped and suggested I could do this on Fiverr. So here I am! I’m so glad to be here and I hope I can help anyone who has lost their mojo. 🙂
Lee x

The thought of Prime Minister Modi losing an election. That’s the ONLY thing in life that stresses me out, but you wouldn’t understand 😀

Haha! Thanks @writer99025.

No I definitely won’t be able to understand the political climate in India 😁 (although I hear Prime Minister Modi is a ray of hope for many).

I do understand though that it can be difficult as we can feel powerless during elections and our ‘one vote’ can feel so small. I felt personally devastated by some recent political decisions in the UK. And very angry about them!

I hope it doesn’t cause you too much stress 👍

Lee

Haha! Thanks @writer99025.

No I definitely won’t be able to understand the political climate in India 😁 (although I hear Prime Minister Modi is a ray of hope for many).

I do understand though that it can be difficult as we can feel powerless during elections and our ‘one vote’ can feel so small. I felt personally devastated by some recent political decisions in the UK. And very angry about them!

I hope it doesn’t cause you too much stress 👍

Lee

Yeah, I agree, no point in worrying about things we cannot control, such as what other people think/feel. I can only control myself. Thanks for that, you will do well here on Fiverr 👍

I live in Joint family So i have 1 PC I can not Give My All Time to computer Sometimes i used it 24 hours continously and Some time i can not able to use this for 24 to 36 hours because of joint family and some personal matters

And That’s why some of my orders get late 😦

Thanks for replying @smartdezigner4u. That sounds tough when you can’t complete your orders and things are not under your control, such as access to the PC. I can hear your frustration! Working 24 hours straight must be so tiring. I wonder if you could try to prioritise your needs with your family? Sometimes it’s difficult to put ourself first.

Best of luck to you.

I am persuing a computer engineering degree. I have very good grades and all but I feel like it is a waste of time.
I would instead want to dedicate all my time to freelancing, I can’t quit college however as my parents won’t allow me to, as an Asian since they believe degree=job. I do not see myself as a 9 to 5 routine person.
I did however do an interview for a company to test the waters and was among the only 4 that got selected out of hundreds, including those who had a degree. This was due to my experience and the projects some of which came from Fiverr.
With having to do the degree, I constantly feel like I am wasting away precious time that I can instead be utilizing working on Fiverr/as a freelancer in general. Would love your advice.

I am persuing a computer engineering degree. I have very good grades and all but I feel like it is a waste of time.

I would instead want to dedicate all my time to freelancing, I can’t quit college however as my parents won’t allow me to, as an Asian since they believe degree=job. I do not see myself as a 9 to 5 routine person.

I did however do an interview for a company to test the waters and was among the only 4 that got selected out of hundreds, including those who had a degree. This was due to my experience and the projects some of which came from Fiverr.

With having to do the degree, I constantly feel like I am wasting away precious time that I can instead be utilizing working on Fiverr/as a freelancer in general. Would love your advice.

If I may answer that question - stick to your job. Fiverr should not be your only source of income. It should be in addition to your main income source - your job. A regular job will give you a sense of stability in your life.

Hello @webster1000, thank you for replying.

You find yourself in a difficult situation. We all carry expectations from our our parents and sometimes we hit a point in life when the ‘real me’ is different from what our parents want. This can be really distressing and we can feel like we are not living an authentic life. You have a lot of strength to know what you want, which means that you look internally within yourself for self-value, rather than looking to others for validation.

In this situation it is unlikely you will change your parents mind so you need to decide if it is worth the stress and relationship damage to leave your degree and pursue freelancing.

I sense the urgency in your message, you speak of precious years, but this is perhaps the ‘distress’ I mentioned above. Life is long. If you decide to stay at Uni, you will need to learn to manage this stress for a while longer.

I can’t give you a straight answer of what you should do, only you know what is best for you. But I hope this gives you some things to think about.

All the best to you.

Lee

Hello @webster1000, thank you for replying.

You find yourself in a difficult situation. We all carry expectations from our our parents and sometimes we hit a point in life when the ‘real me’ is different from what our parents want. This can be really distressing and we can feel like we are not living an authentic life. You have a lot of strength to know what you want, which means that you look internally within yourself for self-value, rather than looking to others for validation.

In this situation it is unlikely you will change your parents mind so you need to decide if it is worth the stress and relationship damage to leave your degree and pursue freelancing.

I sense the urgency in your message, you speak of precious years, but this is perhaps the ‘distress’ I mentioned above. Life is long. If you decide to stay at Uni, you will need to learn to manage this stress for a while longer.

I can’t give you a straight answer of what you should do, only you know what is best for you. But I hope this gives you some things to think about.

All the best to you.

Lee

@mojotherapy I can’t believe how thoughtful you were, I’ve never had a real “therapy” session but I believe out of all the people who I have talked to on this matter, both online and off, this has to be the most insightful one. Short, simple and on point. As a token of appreciation, I am ordering your gig. 🙂

If I may answer that question - stick to your job. Fiverr should not be your only source of income. It should be in addition to your main income source - your job. A regular job will give you a sense of stability in your life.

Writer, you are so wise, just like me, because that is what I was thinking. :thinking:

@mojotherapy I can’t believe how thoughtful you were, I’ve never had a real “therapy” session but I believe out of all the people who I have talked to on this matter, both online and off, this has to be the most insightful one. Short, simple and on point. As a token of appreciation, I am ordering your gig. 🙂

Wow @webster1000 I am actually quite emotional at your kindness!

I would love to help you more. My gig offers 2 email replies, usually a little longer than my reply above.

How lovely! :hugs:

As a Asian, I think I understand your problems perfectly. In fact, It is rather a common conception of the Asian society that tend to judge the person by his or her education background. Yet it still means something. Unlike what you’ve experienced, there are people who can’t manage to get into their desired company because of lacking a degree.

I really think that you can talk to someone older. Maybe your professor, your mentor or even some seniors you know.😀

I am a retired teacher. I substitute teach. I was a grade school teacher, but when I started substituting, I found I love high school kids, so I sub there exclusively. I do enjoy the freedom of picking how much I will work and in which classrooms I will substitute. Before I retired, I worked long hours to do my job. I even found it necessary to work weekends and evenings when I was not too tired. Because of the long hours and other stresses of work I retired earlier than I should have due to the feeling that my job was killing me. I am much happier now. However, I retired with credit card debt that I am paying off through subbing. My stress is that I do not want to venture out on frigid winter mornings to drive to my substitute jobs. I would rather work online as a freelancer and stay in my nice warm home. However, my freelance business is growing so slowly that it looks like I will be spending yet another winter on icy roads. The good thing is it will only be for the number of days I choose to go out. But then my other stress is that I hate to get up in the dark!

As a Asian, I think I understand your problems perfectly. In fact, It is rather a common conception of the Asian society that tend to judge the person by his or her education background. Yet it still means something. Unlike what you’ve experienced, there are people who can’t manage to get into their desired company because of lacking a degree.

I really think that you can talk to someone older. Maybe your professor, your mentor or even some seniors you know.😀

@shirley_w Yes, you are right about the conception. I believe this needs to change and perhaps people (parents) should be more supportive of what one wants to do in his/her life especially if one can prove they can do it their way successfully.

However, I understand that they only want the best for us and sometimes it’s better to respect their decisions as well.

Indeed, as said, there’s no clear “right thing to do” for my situation. I’ll be talking with more people and the pros.

On a side note, I’ve only got a few months left until I get my degree! So, I’ll probably continue.

@shirley_w Yes, you are right about the conception. I believe this needs to change and perhaps people (parents) should be more supportive of what one wants to do in his/her life especially if one can prove they can do it their way successfully.

However, I understand that they only want the best for us and sometimes it’s better to respect their decisions as well.

Indeed, as said, there’s no clear “right thing to do” for my situation. I’ll be talking with more people and the pros.

On a side note, I’ve only got a few months left until I get my degree! So, I’ll probably continue.

Unfortunately, I ran out of likes already today! So here is a 🍰

Archived