Would You? Could You? And Would You Ever Dare?

cyaxrex

Guest megmclachlan

no target in mind or no expectations

As for me, I expect my internet to stay up… sometimes I’m disappointed! 😉

I think I signed my highscool yearbooks with this …

I have this perpetual and constant dream of hitting the road and living as a digital nomad somewhere in SE Asia. Three years ago, a major life change threw everything up in the air and significantly changed my financial situation and I was this close to getting rid of everything remaining and upping and going. I love change and all my previous grand plans which were hedged around stability went to shyte anyway, so it seemed like a great idea. However, my youngest child hated that idea (and still does sadly). She doesn’t want to leave her friends and family, so alas, no adventures on the horizon.

I still crave it though and periodically try to tempt my daughter into a life on the road, but I now seem to be heading in the complete opposite direction - currently looking for a new place to live as my landlord is selling and looking for a long term lease - something I have never done in my life before, as part of me would like to settle and put down roots not have the stress of moving again for a while. Could be my old age :rofl: Maybe a few trips overseas or somewhere else over the next few years will keep my wanderlust and itchy feet happy - or who knows, maybe travel could fuel my longing for adventure and I’ll regret the long term lease.

I guess the thing is - who bloody knows what will happen… Anything could change in a moment and it has and does for everyone, so I’m currently trying to make the most of and enjoy each day as it comes. The old nugget of wisdom about you not being able to find happiness in the future if you can’t find it with what you’ve got right now ya know… Enjoy your ocean view, hot showers and plentiful food and practice gratitude for what you have constantly and you may love it more and find other ways to ease your boredom 😄

I have this perpetual and constant dream of hitting the road and living as a digital nomad somewhere in SE Asia. Three years ago, a major life change threw everything up in the air and significantly changed my financial situation and I was this close to getting rid of everything remaining and upping and going. I love change and all my previous grand plans which were hedged around stability went to shyte anyway, so it seemed like a great idea. However, my youngest child hated that idea (and still does sadly). She doesn’t want to leave her friends and family, so alas, no adventures on the horizon.

I still crave it though and periodically try to tempt my daughter into a life on the road, but I now seem to be heading in the complete opposite direction - currently looking for a new place to live as my landlord is selling and looking for a long term lease - something I have never done in my life before, as part of me would like to settle and put down roots not have the stress of moving again for a while. Could be my old age :rofl: Maybe a few trips overseas or somewhere else over the next few years will keep my wanderlust and itchy feet happy - or who knows, maybe travel could fuel my longing for adventure and I’ll regret the long term lease.

I guess the thing is - who bloody knows what will happen… Anything could change in a moment and it has and does for everyone, so I’m currently trying to make the most of and enjoy each day as it comes. The old nugget of wisdom about you not being able to find happiness in the future if you can’t find it with what you’ve got right now ya know… Enjoy your ocean view, hot showers and plentiful food and practice gratitude for what you have constantly and you may love it more and find other ways to ease your boredom 😄

You’re in Australia, the best country in the world, why would you want to go anywhere else?

Guest logoeasy

He has friends on this forum, who he has been interacting with for years. What’s your problem if he asks them for advice or starts a conversation with? This thread comes under “conversations” - anything goes here. Yes, you are being rude without knowing anything. Fiverr is not just about buying and selling, there is a Fiverr Community which we are all a part of, where people interact, offer tips on buying and selling, ask for advice on general life issues, share jokes, etc, in between work.

I agree with you 100%. Sorry for my rudeness.

You’re in Australia, the best country in the world, why would you want to go anywhere else?

Yes I know, see this is my constant head battle, I live in an amazing place, I can walk from my house to the harbour, I saw a freakin dolphin in the harbour when I was out for a sunrise walk this morning, maybe 20 metres from us! I am so very very lucky. I can be at the beach in 5 mins and have glorious weather pretty much year round. I live where other people want to come and have their vacation and I am SO grateful for that… but I also love travelling and adventures and have so many places I would love to see.

Taking my kids on an epic year or two long roadtrip would be so amazing! We could explore so many places and importantly, my kids would get to see parts of the world that different to where they live, so would have a much greater appreciation for their home. I am a freelancer, so I could have the freedom to do that and work on the road. Heaps of positives to doing that (except for the fact my daughter isn’t keen :rofl:). But also heaps of positives to living in an amazing part of the world as well, so whichever way I go is a good option - just different options. Most people I know would think selling everything and heading overseas with my kids would mean I had gone batshyte crazy, but I guess its different things for different people…

Man, I’ll be honest with ya, to have fun in life you gotta learn to appreciate the little things and at least plan a bit ahead, As long as I can pay my bills, keep the family fed and clothes, have a working internet connection along with a decent PC I’m happy. I’m a simple man, I believe you’re never too old to travel so I can just hit the road down the line when I’m not the only one putting food on the table and paying the bills. In your case, I recommend taking the week off and just go wherever you want. Maybe visit your parents or a bar.

I recommend taking the week off and just go wherever you want. Maybe visit your parents or a bar.

Yes, test it out before you take a 5 year lease on an ice fishing shack in the Arctic circle.

He has friends on this forum, who he has been interacting with for years. What’s your problem if he asks them for advice or starts a conversation with? This thread comes under “conversations” - anything goes here. Yes, you are being rude without knowing anything. Fiverr is not just about buying and selling, there is a Fiverr Community which we are all a part of, where people interact, offer tips on buying and selling, ask for advice on general life issues, share jokes, etc, in between work.

image.jpg.5c4317c5a4f7c609da881003ffcbb03b.jpg

I recommend taking the week off and just go wherever you want. Maybe visit your parents or a bar.

Yes, test it out before you take a 5 year lease on an ice fishing shack in the Arctic circle.

maybe visit … a bar

I think that is probably a suggestion that will be followed.

a 5 year lease on an fishing shack in the Arctic circle.

It probably is best to go some place warm rather than cold if you are picking up and changing locations. It’s more likely to be a good decision. That’s my theory.

I’m going to start this post by saying that I need electricity. I need money just to eat and live like you do.

BUT…

Well, I’m a bit bored. I was never a long-term planning person. If there is still air to breathe I’m fine. It’s not like anyone can take that away.

The thing is, I fell in love and in fairness, it was great. I wouldn’t even change the horror of the last years constant kicking in the balls if I’m honest. The thing is, I met my ex with nothing in a random place and the most important thing to me at the time was just meeting them.

Now things are crazy different. That world is all over and reconciled. But really I just exist now. I work to pay the bills, I have enough saved to do something special one day. The only problem is I don’t ever do that special thing because of the leftover need from my old life for financial security.

In this case, I’m thinking of just smashing this life to pieces again, packing a bag, and seeing what happens.

I’m just bloody older… And at the moment, the ‘be careful’ side of my mind which likes its hot showers, plentiful food, and sea view apartment quite likes the world I have.

In this case, what is more important to you? Living life or taking a chance and going into something completely different?

Living life or taking a chance and going into something completely different?

Living life and taking chances is for me the exact same thing.

What happened to the girl who sits on the park bench looking out to the sea with her pup? Does she still hold seeing you kicking the poo under a bush against you?

I like the idea of putting your gigs on vacation mode and go on a small venture, if it fulfills you and you desire more, go for a more extended adventure. You are a freelancer after all. Pack up your computer and pup and go. When you are old, you will have memories to look back on. Moreover, maybe it will involve two older adults sitting on a park bench looking out to the sea while their pups wrestle on the beach.

I say give it a go but…slowly test the waters. Take a low budget holiday, live like the locals for a few weeks or few months. Maybe make some connections while you’re there too. ( sublet current place, if you can. The place by the sea sounds wonderful I lived near the ocean years ago) Then if you love it and it feeds your soul, why not take a leap of faith and Do It!

Making money gives me a sense of purpose, gives me direction and a sense of accomplishment. Also, a silent victory over everyone who doubted me, mocked me or looked down upon me in contempt in my hard times. I look back at the times I was really desperate and look at my situation now, and that gives me great happiness.

I made so much money between February and July this year from a couple of ventures. I thought I was happy but I still missed that something extra. First, expectations around me increased and I had to provide for stuff that ordinarily was not my responsibility. I was not able to save as much as I’d have loved to. Then I lost most of my savings to terrible investment and had my expensive phone of one month stolen. So, I start afresh again. What I’ve learned is that money doesn’t give me as much pleasure. It could evaporate so quickly and leave me hanging and back to square zero.

I love making money. I’ve made more than many my age who keep waiting for the world to provide them with a good work, a great house, a free wife, and a wealthy, loving, and healthy family. I love to work smart and explore other legitimate avenues to earn some more and work less. But even as I make more money, I enjoy having plenty of time to myself to pursue other satisfactory ventures namely, making others happy in any little way possible.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

Cy, I think you should ask the mirror on the wall. Life is terrible when you don’t find accomplishment in it and moving out of your “comfort zone” might be your way out. But, like has been noted, to just up and leave abruptly may bring more troubles than you anticipate. Think it through, plan extensively, test it out, and if it works for you, why not?

Archived