Do you occasionally or regularly miss your pre-internet life?

rankinfinite

Guest martinaroberts2

I miss not having to pay lots of internet bills and not having to always change my gadgets to trending device. Internet life can be very helpful but expensive too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woofy for the win. 🙂

Hands down, you were richer than me an Atari, a Sega Genesis, and a Gameboy. I had only PS1 and a computer, which was a tool for my dad as he is a college professor, and my mom worked at a magazine at the time, so they needed a PC on an everyday basis. It wasn’t my play toy 😆

Never had Windows 95, my PC had Windows 98 on it. The configuration was Pentium I, 32MB RAM (Might have been 16), and an onboard GPU. I was 3 years old when I first sat on that computer, and it was older than me. Last time I have turned on that PC just for fun, it was still working (8 years ago). Then because I was straight A’s in second grade, I got a gift, a brand new PC. 256MB or Ram, Pentium IV. After that, the PS1 was given to me as a gift from my cousins as they immigrated to another country.

Never used the DOS.

In Macedonia, I don’t remember that we had original Lego, Barbie, and similar branded stuff while I was a kid. They were all imported from Greece or something.

Once upon a time, I knew basic C++, but I was not really good at maths so I skipped programming. However, I have won two awards on entepreneurship/business competitions. 🙂

I worked at a Four Star hotel as a receptionist. The pay was embarrassing and the hours unreasonable.

That’s why I do not want to get a "rea"l job. I know a couple of people that are owners of great companies, but because I am a student they offer a lower salary.

Once upon a time, I knew basic C++, but I was not really good at maths so I skipped programming. However, I have won two awards on entepreneurship/business competitions. 🙂

…as a bonafide programmer with fluidity in over 4 programming languages (including C++), I can confidently say programming math and “math” are very different.

…as a bonafide programmer with fluidity in over 4 programming languages (including C++), I can confidently say programming math and “math” are very different.

I had no clue. Still, if you need to do a complex algorithm, you do need to know more than basic math, right?

I had no clue. Still, if you need to do a complex algorithm, you do need to know more than basic math, right?

Yeah but like 11th or 12th-grade math at best. I have this friend that flunked college like really hard and today he works as a federal commissioned facility like on the really hardcore stuff like A.i and he can’t solve a single equation from a 12th-grade math book. That answer your question?

as a bonafide programmer with fluidity in over 4 programming languages (including C++)

I’m surprised none of your gigs involve programming.

I miss the time when I had free dial up from a couple of companies such as Net Zero. Remember that creepy noise you heard as it was making the connection? Never thought I would miss that but it was sort of fun in a way.
Before the internet I had a lot of free time for things like gardening, horseback riding, etc.

I’ve heard that. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything good about Chicago aside from pizza reviews. Detroit is up there as well, of course, on the Tripadvisor doom and possibly deadly scale. At least with Detroit, though, you kind of expected that the city would end up that way because of the way it was depicted in the old Robocop movies.

I don’t mean this offensively by the way. Also, I would personally still prefer to try my life chances somewhere like Chicago rather than most places in my own home country. At least, for the most part, you Americans still have spirit. That and big old other places to float away to if you ever feel like hitting the road.

I have always said that I do not need to travel ✈️ across the oceans because there is plenty of the U.S. I have yet to see.

You know, thinking about this, what I miss most is how easy the early Internet was to make money from. Rewind to the end of dialup and all you had do was say the word blog and you were already famous. There was the guy who sold pixels on a web page to advertisers, the students who set up a web cam to watch a kettle boil.

Now it’s all dropshipping, freelancing, vlogging, and everything means setting up ever more complicated websites, apps, and interconnected social profiles.

I miss niches no one else has explored!

If only there was a way to go back to dial-up…

I still haven’t seen Yellowstone, Yosemite, 4 Corner, Hollywood, Alaska, among a few others.

Sigh, one day I shall. 😊

I want to see the Grand Canyon, the Giant Redwoods, and the Hawaiian Islands. I have been to Yellowstone and Glacier. I think Glacier is more impressive as far a scenery. However, the thermal features in Yellowstone are pretty awesome.

I still haven’t seen Yellowstone, Yosemite, 4 Corner, Hollywood, Alaska, among a few others.

Sigh, one day I shall. 😊

I want to see all the same places but I want to start and finish in Vegas, ideally in a world where they still have the Star Trek Experience. Also, I’m only coming to the US again if I get to meet and ideally sing with William Shattner.

In fact, I have this idea for an app which could make me gazzillions overnight because it’s so simple. I just don’t know how to even start trying to get it patented or even a prototype made without someone stealing my idea for themselves. Maybe I’ll share it with you one day and we can hit the road together if you see the potential and we can work together to make it happen.

I want to see all the same places but I want to start and finish in Vegas, ideally in a world where they still have the Star Trek Experience. Also, I’m only coming to the US again if I get to meet and ideally sing with William Shattner.

In fact, I have this idea for an app which could make me gazzillions overnight because it’s so simple. I just don’t know how to even start trying to get it patented or even a prototype made without someone stealing my idea for themselves. Maybe I’ll share it with you one day and we can hit the road together if you see the potential and we can work together to make it happen.

K, anxiously standing by the pre-internet stand. 😉

I’m a trekkie, sort of, I don’t have costumes but seen all the movies. I’m a big sci-fi fan. I find all those futuristic computers, lifestyles, post-internet era so fascinating.

Well, I’m an engineer so I can design & you can market!

K, anxiously standing by the pre-internet stand. 😉

I’m a trekkie, sort of, I don’t have costumes but seen all the movies. I’m a big sci-fi fan. I find all those futuristic computers, lifestyles, post-internet era so fascinating.

Well, I’m an engineer so I can design & you can market!

I love the old Star Trek and the movies from that too. Spock was my favorite!

I want to see the Grand Canyon, the Giant Redwoods, and the Hawaiian Islands. I have been to Yellowstone and Glacier. I think Glacier is more impressive as far a scenery. However, the thermal features in Yellowstone are pretty awesome.

I remember as a child sitting there on a porch in Yellowstone, waiting to see Old Faithful spout boiling water and steam from a hole in the ground, and stopping the car to let the bears cross the road and sniff the cars for food.

I remember as a child sitting there on a porch in Yellowstone, waiting to see Old Faithful spout boiling water and steam from a hole in the ground, and stopping the car to let the bears cross the road and sniff the cars for food.

I have done both. Were the bears grizzly or black bears? When we were driving through Yellowstone in my red Jeep Liberty, a grizzly was off in the distance. He stood up to have a look around. Then he dropped down and made a b-line for us! We hurried to roll up the windows and close the sunroof. He ran lickety-split between us and the vehicle in front of us. I think he was looking for the largest space between cars.

The other thing I like about Yellowstone is how the Bison come strolling down the road and surround your vehicle. However, stay in your car, they are huge, strong, and dangerous.

as a bonafide programmer with fluidity in over 4 programming languages (including C++)

I’m surprised none of your gigs involve programming.

My listing gig actually does! I get quite a few requests for custom eBay templates and HTML description for Amazon. I’m not taking any chances with the gigs I already have but I’ll definitely branch out my services as soon as my brother manages to land a job to give me some breathing space.

My listing gig actually does! I get quite a few requests for custom eBay templates and HTML description for Amazon. I’m not taking any chances with the gigs I already have but I’ll definitely branch out my services as soon as my brother manages to land a job to give me some breathing space.

Do you fear that selling anything related to eBay or Amazon here is risky?

It is risky to sell fake reviews, but to create photos for Amazon, eBay, or help buyers create their stores, there shouldn’t be an issue.

I do I definitely do but like @gig_freak said, it should be ok as long as you maintain a consistent level of high quality.

I have done both. Were the bears grizzly or black bears? When we were driving through Yellowstone in my red Jeep Liberty, a grizzly was off in the distance. He stood up to have a look around. Then he dropped down and made a b-line for us! We hurried to roll up the windows and close the sunroof. He ran lickety-split between us and the vehicle in front of us. I think he was looking for the largest space between cars.

The other thing I like about Yellowstone is how the Bison come strolling down the road and surround your vehicle. However, stay in your car, they are huge, strong, and dangerous.

As I recall they were cute black bears. I’m sure I would have remembered seeing a grizzly.

That boardwalk with all the steaming bubbling ponds everywhere is like a stroll through hell’s kitchen.

Archived