Fiverr pay to play?

newsmike

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiverr is built on the model that everyone deserves a chance to shine and work for themselves.

Really?

So, buyers are here to make people shine? I’m sorry, but I’m here to get a service.

I pay real money, I want real service. I have no problem paying lots of money but I want quality work that fits the money I gave.

It may sound cruel, but I only give chance to sellers who I believe will give me what I need. Sorry, but this is business, not a game.

Sorry, but this is business, not a game.

While I dig your idea, I believe that @cyaxrex solution would be quite a good one.

Fiverr could also restrict the use of the forum for new sellers. This way all the ‘how to mek sells?’ sellers would probably read and learn instead instead of trying to give tips with no track record of success or just complaining.

Fiverr could also restrict the use of the forum for new sellers. This way all the ‘how to mek sells?’ sellers would probably read and learn instead instead of trying to give tips with no track record of success or just complaining.

Jut as we have talked about how raising your prices chases off the worst buyers, what if fiverr would take a que from almost every good nightclub. Charge a door fee.

Right now it seems that everyday we are flooded with more accounts that are created with the profile mage of a supermodel, and offer all manner of logo creation, proofreading and writing. They almost all go something like “I wills trensale and make good writings to your project.”

Then 2 hours after they create all 15 of their gigs, they post to the forum “I can not mek sells, plz help my gig sells. help me plz.”

What if fiverr simply charged a $100 fee to join first year?

Would maybe cut these accounts down by a huge margin.

What if fiverr simply charged a $100 fee to join first year?

I love your suggestion. But my suggestion is that fiverr should take a brief interview from every new seller to confirm their identity and to make sure that the seller is capable of what he/ she will be offering.

While I dig your idea, I believe that @cyaxrex solution would be quite a good one.

I agree, Not sure what the best option would be, but the idea that you can sign up, rip folks off while making a bad impression of the site, then suck the money into Paypal as long as possible. Then do it again and again.

We are better than that.

Fiverr is built on the model that everyone deserves a chance to shine and work for themselves.

Really?

So, buyers are here to make people shine? I’m sorry, but I’m here to get a service.

I pay real money, I want real service. I have no problem paying lots of money but I want quality work that fits the money I gave.

It may sound cruel, but I only give chance to sellers who I believe will give me what I need. Sorry, but this is business, not a game.

Allow me to re-word: Fiverr is based on a model were everyone is given a chance to work for themselves. This wasn’t meant to say something weird but to point out the fact that fiverr is different from some of the other marketplaces. Apologies if the original wording; didn’t think it would be interpreted differently than I was thinking.

@vickiespencer Hahaha 😄 Don’t want to go off topic, but yes i’m 15. Nobody called me smart before 😭

I just want to point out one thing. I understand that each and everyone in this discussion has his/her own opinion and they won’t really change it. And I totally respect that.

But the fact that you pay a $100 fee and then a buyer comes telling you he wants a complete functional website for $5 without even giving any information on how he wants it. Should we apply the $100 on buyers too?

@newsmike My suggestion about decreasing bad sellers is that new sellers should fill an application for being a seller on Fiverr. Which will be reviewed by the Fiver team. And according to how they fill it, they either get rejected or approved.
It’s much better than asking for a $100 as it won’t really help in the situation.

(My own point of view.)

I am retired and living on a small pension and an even smaller SS check. Having to pay $100 to be able to be a seller on Fiverr would have been a hardship for me.

I signed up for Fiverr in late July. Since then I have written three gigs and rewritten two of them multiple times trying to get just the right gig to attract buyers. I have invested much time in doing Fiverr Academy and reading the forum to learn my way around Fiverr and discover some of the ins and outs of working here. I am now ready to write the three more gigs that Fiverr allows a new seller so that I can get more exposure and hopefully jobs.

I am an educated professional individual, yet I have been here over 30 days, and I still am working on getting to level one. Someone said if a seller does no reach level one in 30 days they should be eliminated. If that were the case, I would have been banned before I had time to find my stride. Until this morning all my gigs had been through Buyer Requests. (For which all received Five stars.) This morning I received my first job offer from a buyer. I finally feel like all the time and effort I have invested up to now is going to pay off.

I substitute teach now, and I love the high school kids I teach while subbing. However, I want to develop a freelance business I can do from home when I no longer have the energy to substitute. However, as I said before, it is taking me a bit of time to get my little business going.

@vickiespencer Hahaha 😄 Don’t want to go off topic, but yes i’m 15. Nobody called me smart before 😭

I just want to point out one thing. I understand that each and everyone in this discussion has his/her own opinion and they won’t really change it. And I totally respect that.

But the fact that you pay a $100 fee and then a buyer comes telling you he wants a complete functional website for $5 without even giving any information on how he wants it. Should we apply the $100 on buyers too?

@newsmike My suggestion about decreasing bad sellers is that new sellers should fill an application for being a seller on Fiverr. Which will be reviewed by the Fiver team. And according to how they fill it, they either get rejected or approved.

It’s much better than asking for a $100 as it won’t really help in the situation.

(My own point of view.)

sellers should fill an application for being a seller on Fiverr.

The problem is that the sellers we are talking about would simply have someone else complete the form or write the answers for them. Remember we are talking about the sellers who post profile pics of supermodels and claim to be in countries other than where they are.

The only way to make sure someone is serious is to take a small chunk of flesh.

I suppose you and I have a different definition of the word business. 😀

There are many kinds of businesses. Besides teaching, I have been involved in owning and operating a bookstore and professional photography business where I was the retoucher. Those businesses could not operate in a library. However, I could see a proofreading editing business being able to if the owner only took short gigs. After all, there is a limit to the amount of time you can spend on some library computers.

I am retired and living on a small pension and an even smaller SS check. Having to pay $100 to be able to be a seller on Fiverr would have been a hardship for me.

I signed up for Fiverr in late July. Since then I have written three gigs and rewritten two of them multiple times trying to get just the right gig to attract buyers. I have invested much time in doing Fiverr Academy and reading the forum to learn my way around Fiverr and discover some of the ins and outs of working here. I am now ready to write the three more gigs that Fiverr allows a new seller so that I can get more exposure and hopefully jobs.

I am an educated professional individual, yet I have been here over 30 days, and I still am working on getting to level one. Someone said if a seller does no reach level one in 30 days they should be eliminated. If that were the case, I would have been banned before I had time to find my stride. Until this morning all my gigs had been through Buyer Requests. (For which all received Five stars.) This morning I received my first job offer from a buyer. I finally feel like all the time and effort I have invested up to now is going to pay off.

I substitute teach now, and I love the high school kids I teach while subbing. However, I want to develop a freelance business I can do from home when I no longer have the energy to substitute. However, as I said before, it is taking me a bit of time to get my little business going.

It would have been a hardship for me as well, considering freelancing is my sole income.

sellers should fill an application for being a seller on Fiverr.

The problem is that the sellers we are talking about would simply have someone else complete the form or write the answers for them. Remember we are talking about the sellers who post profile pics of supermodels and claim to be in countries other than where they are.

The only way to make sure someone is serious is to take a small chunk of flesh.

@youssefkamel

quote=“newsmike, post:35, topic:181442”]

These are either the acts of desperate people taking desperate actions or the acts of scammers trying to scam people for five bucks. Either way, up to a point the buyer should be able to sort them out because of their inappropriate use of the English language.

But then there are the sellers who appeared to be legit enough to fool @gina_riley2. So they would have in all probability be able to fill out an application, maybe even be able to come up with $100. I am not sure what the answer is. I just know I would not be here if I had had to pay $100.

@youssefkamel

quote=“newsmike, post:35, topic:181442”]

These are either the acts of desperate people taking desperate actions or the acts of scammers trying to scam people for five bucks. Either way, up to a point the buyer should be able to sort them out because of their inappropriate use of the English language.

But then there are the sellers who appeared to be legit enough to fool @gina_riley2. So they would have in all probability be able to fill out an application, maybe even be able to come up with $100. I am not sure what the answer is. I just know I would not be here if I had had to pay $100.

Well I hope that if Fiverr is going to actually take a move regarding this, I hope that it won’t affect anyone badly. Because i’m sure there’s a middle option where no one will be harmed except those who aren’t taking Fiverr seriously.

Guest offlinehelpers

Could be an opportunity for yet another filter and title.

Do you want to search by:
Pro
Available Now
Paid Premium

Level

Language

Colour of socks

Height

etc. etc.

It’s all getting a bit much! 😉

$100 is unnecessary. This would rub everyone the wrong way and overall discourage any kind of motivation to sell on Fiverr. $5 would make a lot more sense and weed out the casuals.
Do you honestly think a 17-year-old kid from India, Pakistan, or China could come up with these kinda funds? Come on, man be practical.

$100 is unnecessary. This would rub everyone the wrong way and overall discourage any kind of motivation to sell on Fiverr. $5 would make a lot more sense and weed out the casuals.

Do you honestly think a 17-year-old kid from India, Pakistan, or China could come up with these kinda funds? Come on, man be practical.

This would rub everyone the wrong way and overall discourage any kind of motivation to sell on Fiverr.

That addresses the question again. Is fiverr a business or a charity? I’m not sold that $100 is the answer, just saying that we see a lot of complaints here from buyers about these type of sellers.

This would rub everyone the wrong way and overall discourage any kind of motivation to sell on Fiverr.

Is fiverr a business or a charity?

I think it is just unfortunate that most methods to keep out low quality sellers would also preclude many of the “give it a try” type sellers which would be a pity. Online freelancing/the gig economy is still a very new thing and like others have said - if it had a $100 entry fee, I would not have joined. Even a $10 fee would have seemed odd to me. Not because I couldn’t pay it but because it does not seem worth it in the beginning.

Frankly, I dislike the idea of punishing all to keep out the bad eggs. A more proactive and focused system for dealing with repeat account openers, a copyscape type system to check gigs are not copied, an easier-to-use system of reporting bad sellers for buyers who have spent over $50(?), ability for level 2 and TRS to report and hide spam in the BR. Those kinds of things are what I would like to see to combat the rubbish.

Tough crowd here Mike. I think your idea isn’t bad. I personally wouldn’t have an issue with a monthly or yearly payment if it would make the site better.
This would drastically cut the amount of gigs for sure and I also believe it would change the overall quality and reputation.
Maybe the first “introductory” month could be free. This would allow sellers to test the site to see if they want to stick around. 👍

Tough crowd here Mike. I think your idea isn’t bad. I personally wouldn’t have an issue with a monthly or yearly payment if it would make the site better.

This would drastically cut the amount of gigs for sure and I also believe it would change the overall quality and reputation.

Maybe the first “introductory” month could be free. This would allow sellers to test the site to see if they want to stick around. 👍

I also believe it would change the overall quality and reputation.

Yes, and it seems that all of fiverr’s recent moves have been centered on shedding the bad reputation that is caused by these type sellers. The PRO gigs are a clear signal that fiverr wants to change the image. I mean, just try to get a McDonald’s franchise without the $200,000 fee just to license the name. This keeps every restaurant in town from just slapping up the golden arches.

Guest offlinehelpers

I also believe it would change the overall quality and reputation.

Yes, and it seems that all of fiverr’s recent moves have been centered on shedding the bad reputation that is caused by these type sellers. The PRO gigs are a clear signal that fiverr wants to change the image. I mean, just try to get a McDonald’s franchise without the $200,000 fee just to license the name. This keeps every restaurant in town from just slapping up the golden arches.

But McDonalds sells their burgers for just a few dollars. They rely on a huge volume of sales to recoup the franchise payment etc. They’re on a completely different scale to us here.

I do think there will be a recurring fee introduced at some point though, the others have it in place in various ways and I think it is only a matter of time.

The experiment with Promoted Gigs doesnt seem to have been a success for whatever reason and increasing the 20% would be crazy so I think the only other options are to increase the sales value and to charge recurring fees.

Also, I was looking for a mention of fees by freelance platforms and found this post again from TechCrunch from 2015 with Fiverr’s CEO. It talks about a lot of things but I have quoted Micha (yes, I am on first name basis with him but it is not reciprocated) talking about the direction Fiverr is going - that’s from 2 years ago.

favicon.icoTechCrunch

micha-2.jpg?w=1200&fit=440%2C330

Fiverr CEO On Raising $60 Million in Fresh Funding: “It’s a Land Grab Right Now”

This week, Fiverr, an online market for small services, announced $60 million in new financing led by Square Peg Capital. Earlier backers Bessemer Venture..

TC: You say this shift is partly about giving more “pro sellers” tools to offer bigger services. What do you mean?

MK: Fiverr has been going upmarket over time. We started with amateurs and people who were moonlighting and we’ve since been attracting more and more professional freelancers, as well as more small and mid-size businesses as buyers. In fact, three-quarters of our buyers are companies that are turning to us for an increasing number of things. They might come first for the design logo, then they need a website, then they need people to write content, and now maybe to produce a product demo video. So it’s about helping everyone to do more.

Is fiverr a business or a charity?

I think it is just unfortunate that most methods to keep out low quality sellers would also preclude many of the “give it a try” type sellers which would be a pity. Online freelancing/the gig economy is still a very new thing and like others have said - if it had a $100 entry fee, I would not have joined. Even a $10 fee would have seemed odd to me. Not because I couldn’t pay it but because it does not seem worth it in the beginning.

Frankly, I dislike the idea of punishing all to keep out the bad eggs. A more proactive and focused system for dealing with repeat account openers, a copyscape type system to check gigs are not copied, an easier-to-use system of reporting bad sellers for buyers who have spent over $50(?), ability for level 2 and TRS to report and hide spam in the BR. Those kinds of things are what I would like to see to combat the rubbish.

I can agree with this. It would be far more productive and inclusive.

@newsmike I get the point you’re trying to make but the way you’re doing it would probably do more harm than good.

Archived