Question on Artwork Copyright

genestiles

Hi, All,

Thank you all for such a great service you provide! I’ve had a few of you do work for my Novel Covers so I have a question:

When I publish my work and I’ve paid for cover artwork, how do I add a ‘Cover Art By…’ Copyright notice? Is it considered My artwork or should the copyright be given to the Artist?

Thanks for your comments.

Gene Stiles

Depends on your agreement with artist. If work for hire, then you would own the copyright. If it is just a license to use then they own copyright and have permission to use. Most work here on fiverr is work for hire per TOS. Either way, credit to the artist should always be given along the lines of “Cover art by name

That being said, in some categories, Fiverr has gone against it’s TOS and added options to purchase specific rights.

I would make your needs part of the terms of your order when you order stating that you are purchasing the artwork and the copyright to said project.

Guest offlinehelpers

Form the ToS under ‘Ownership’:
Ownership and limitations: Unless clearly stated otherwise on the seller’s Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the seller, and the seller waives any and all moral rights therein.

Hope this helps! ☀️

Archived