Why don't let our performance decide our REAL search placement? and others

xuntes

My name is Rafael, I’m a graduated business administrator, but I chose fiverr graphic services as my main job because I love it and I love to contact different kind of people everyday around the world, and because economical reasons for sure.

Just a short brief:
My gig is the 2nd best seller/rated gig in vector tracing sub-category, also the 2nd in the overall ranking. TODAY, you can check this by entering in the VECTOR TRACING sub category. I say today, because with the last algorithm changes, it may not be the 2nd in ranking placement anymore.

I see fiverr keeps changing its search algorithm, which keeps affecting the results when someone search for a keyword, in my gig case, if i search for “VECTOR”.

If someone look for “vector” keyword in the search, my gig is around the 10th placed gig today, even it’s being the 2nd in the ranking. tomorrow could be the 1st, which i dont think is right too, because I know I’m not the 1st ranked bestseller.

MY suggestions:

1. Why not letting our performance be the criteria of the search algorithm? If some buyer select AVG CUSTOMER REVIEW, they want to see this, and not a bunch of random gigs who were placed on top because no performance. It will for sure make the buyer experience A LOT better, because when they are trying to find the best gigs, they WILL find the best gigs. Or at least creating a NEW TAB, like BESTSELLER GIGS.
    To give a chance to the new or inexperienced sellers, there are already 3 tabs for this: NEW BUYERS (search and categories), RELEVANCE (search only) and RECOMMENDED (in categories ranking only).
    I agree that the best sellers dont need chance anymore, but they need something in the search algorithm to secure their placement (of course that based in their performance).
    At any marketplace, when a buyer search for the best product, they want to see the best product, not some good mixed with some bad products.

2. Why not letting the final sold price (plus the rating, of course) weight in the ranking/search placement? This way higher budget buyers could easily meet with higher budget sellers. Bringing more revenues even to Fiverr site. For example if seller sells 4 orders of $5 and get 5-stars review in all of these orders, should be equivalent to a seller who do only 1 sale in the price of $20 with a 5-stars rate in the end. Making a more accurate weighted average about the gigs performance to rank the gigs, in search and in ranking, also helping to fight the categories inflation.
    It doesnt matter the gig offer price, but the final price sold, multiplied by the strength of the rating.
    It also helps to equalize countries economic differences here at fiverr, because everybody knows that $5 in some countries are equivalent to $100 in others. But in the end, is the performance which still place you on the top, because a bad reviews will also be more shocking.

3. Have a ORDER PAUSE button, or something like this, which could pause the clock for crucial questions. Many times i had to cancel good orders because the buyer didnt answer crucial questions to keep going with the order. In my case my delivery time is 24h, so if in these 24h the buyer doesnt answer, I’m screwed, not because my performance, but because the lack of attention from the buyer.

Fiverr should provide more for us sellers compete with each other, it’s a WIN-WIN-WIN tactic.
BUYER WIN: will easily find the best sellers, because the sellers will compete to always deliver the best service (which actually the search results doesnt seems to show the real best sellers, but a bunch of new seller, mixed with some good sellers, mixed with bad rated sellers, mixed with good sellers).
SELLERS WIN: will let their true performance decide for their placement, demanding to deliver always the best service possible to have the best placement possible, and as consequence getting more orders because the best placement.
FIVERR WIN: Will grow the overall deliveries quality, because the best sellers will be on the top of the searches, always helping fiverr names/brand. With these random gigs getting benefited with this “random” algorithm, Fiverr loses a lot of buyers who had a bad 1st experience, like any company does. And also will help to increase fiverr revenues, when the high budget buyers MAY easier find the high budget sellers.

Some may not like these suggestion because are comfortable in their places, but fair competition is good for everyone. Right now it’s not fair because some good sellers aren’t being easily found with the actual search algorithm, and some bad sellers are being benefited because went to the top with this search “shuffling”.

I know there are a lot of new sellers trying to find their places, get better ranking and etc, but giving a chance isnt the best in a long term. Buyers dont want to know if the seller needs a chance, they want their service well done.

“give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”

Free+Fair competition is always good to everyone, except for those who can keep doing a bad work but still gets good revenues, because the search situation. Everybody knows that the higher in the ranking you are, better number of sales you will have, and sellers will do their best to reach this.

Anyway, thank you for your attention,
Rafael.

My name is Rafael, I’m a graduated business administrator, but I chose fiverr graphic services as my main job because I love it and I love to contact different kind of people everyday around the world, and because economical reasons for sure.

Just a short brief:

My gig is the 2nd best seller/rated gig in vector tracing sub-category, also the 2nd in the overall ranking. TODAY, you can check this by entering in the VECTOR TRACING sub category. I say today, because with the last algorithm changes, it may not be the 2nd in ranking placement anymore.

I see fiverr keeps changing its search algorithm, which keeps affecting the results when someone search for a keyword, in my gig case, if i search for “VECTOR”.

If someone look for “vector” keyword in the search, my gig is around the 10th placed gig today, even it’s being the 2nd in the ranking. tomorrow could be the 1st, which i dont think is right too, because I know I’m not the 1st ranked bestseller.

MY suggestions:

1. Why not letting our performance be the criteria of the search algorithm? If some buyer select AVG CUSTOMER REVIEW, they want to see this, and not a bunch of random gigs who were placed on top because no performance. It will for sure make the buyer experience A LOT better, because when they are trying to find the best gigs, they WILL find the best gigs. Or at least creating a NEW TAB, like BESTSELLER GIGS.

To give a chance to the new or inexperienced sellers, there are already 3 tabs for this: NEW BUYERS (search and categories), RELEVANCE (search only) and RECOMMENDED (in categories ranking only).

I agree that the best sellers dont need chance anymore, but they need something in the search algorithm to secure their placement (of course that based in their performance).

At any marketplace, when a buyer search for the best product, they want to see the best product, not some good mixed with some bad products.

2. Why not letting the final sold price (plus the rating, of course) weight in the ranking/search placement? This way higher budget buyers could easily meet with higher budget sellers. Bringing more revenues even to Fiverr site. For example if seller sells 4 orders of $5 and get 5-stars review in all of these orders, should be equivalent to a seller who do only 1 sale in the price of $20 with a 5-stars rate in the end. Making a more accurate weighted average about the gigs performance to rank the gigs, in search and in ranking, also helping to fight the categories inflation.

It doesnt matter the gig offer price, but the final price sold, multiplied by the strength of the rating.

It also helps to equalize countries economic differences here at fiverr, because everybody knows that $5 in some countries are equivalent to $100 in others. But in the end, is the performance which still place you on the top, because a bad reviews will also be more shocking.

3. Have a ORDER PAUSE button, or something like this, which could pause the clock for crucial questions. Many times i had to cancel good orders because the buyer didnt answer crucial questions to keep going with the order. In my case my delivery time is 24h, so if in these 24h the buyer doesnt answer, I’m screwed, not because my performance, but because the lack of attention from the buyer.

Fiverr should provide more for us sellers compete with each other, it’s a WIN-WIN-WIN tactic.

BUYER WIN: will easily find the best sellers, because the sellers will compete to always deliver the best service (which actually the search results doesnt seems to show the real best sellers, but a bunch of new seller, mixed with some good sellers, mixed with bad rated sellers, mixed with good sellers).

SELLERS WIN: will let their true performance decide for their placement, demanding to deliver always the best service possible to have the best placement possible, and as consequence getting more orders because the best placement.

FIVERR WIN: Will grow the overall deliveries quality, because the best sellers will be on the top of the searches, always helping fiverr names/brand. With these random gigs getting benefited with this “random” algorithm, Fiverr loses a lot of buyers who had a bad 1st experience, like any company does. And also will help to increase fiverr revenues, when the high budget buyers MAY easier find the high budget sellers.

Some may not like these suggestion because are comfortable in their places, but fair competition is good for everyone. Right now it’s not fair because some good sellers aren’t being easily found with the actual search algorithm, and some bad sellers are being benefited because went to the top with this search “shuffling”.

I know there are a lot of new sellers trying to find their places, get better ranking and etc, but giving a chance isnt the best in a long term. Buyers dont want to know if the seller needs a chance, they want their service well done.

“give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”

Free+Fair competition is always good to everyone, except for those who can keep doing a bad work but still gets good revenues, because the search situation. Everybody knows that the higher in the ranking you are, better number of sales you will have, and sellers will do their best to reach this.

Rafael.

Fiverr should provide more for us sellers compete with each other,

That’s not what Fiverr is, though. Fiverr is merely a hosting site where us sellers can offer our freelance services to a consumer audience that is looking for those services. Fiverr is not responsible for our success, nor is it their job to help us compete with each other. YOU are responsible for your own success, your own marketing, your own ability to outshine your competitors.

It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job – as a freelance services provider – for you.

hi same issue is with me. my main selling gig is the highest rated pdf editing gig. if u search “edit pdf” & select " AVG CUSTOMER REVIEW" filter, previously it’s the first result in first page. but now it’s move to 3rd row in first page. i have contacted fiverr CS & they said bellow… :thinking:

“Please keep in mind that Gigs are ranked based on recent performance not overall reviews that your Gig has. As you may know, Gig ranking are not permanent and may change over time.”

Fiverr should provide more for us sellers compete with each other,

That’s not what Fiverr is, though. Fiverr is merely a hosting site where us sellers can offer our freelance services to a consumer audience that is looking for those services. Fiverr is not responsible for our success, nor is it their job to help us compete with each other. YOU are responsible for your own success, your own marketing, your own ability to outshine your competitors.

It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job – as a freelance services provider – for you.

Fiverr is merely a hosting site where us sellers can offer our freelance

yes, it’s what fiverr is. Fiverr call it’s self as a marketplace, not as freelancer hosting. There are gigs (stores) where you buy a product (service). It’s not merely a hosting site, or we could deal out of fiverr without any consequences, like getting account restricted.

so why is there a ranking? or why fiverr say it’s a marketplace? or why is they are testing an search algorithm if it’s not to optimize overall results even for fiverr itself?

Fiverr is not responsible for our success,

of course not, we are. LOL.

But a good part of our sales are susceptible to fiverr search results. Believe or not.

nor is it their job to help us compete with each other.

Its not their job but it would help fiver itself. Better competition always result in better services. I learned this in my first semester in college, and it’s the vision of the most succeeded companies/countries in the world. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

YOU are responsible for your own success,

Not necessarily, because my sales boost here just for getting in the top of the searches, nothing else. When the algorithm changes and my gig “disappear”, my sales drop A LOT.

Fiverr isnt just a hosting, fiverr is a company. Fiverr site worth around $700 millions.

Making sellers freely and fairly compete will always result better for fiverr clients, because right now good part of the sales comes from keyword search (i did a research with my clients, and the result was 50% from keyword search, and 50% through categories browsing).

that’s why I say to get informed first before sending misinformation.

Fiverr is merely a hosting site where us sellers can offer our freelance

yes, it’s what fiverr is. Fiverr call it’s self as a marketplace, not as freelancer hosting. There are gigs (stores) where you buy a product (service). It’s not merely a hosting site, or we could deal out of fiverr without any consequences, like getting account restricted.

so why is there a ranking? or why fiverr say it’s a marketplace? or why is they are testing an search algorithm if it’s not to optimize overall results even for fiverr itself?

Fiverr is not responsible for our success,

of course not, we are. LOL.

But a good part of our sales are susceptible to fiverr search results. Believe or not.

nor is it their job to help us compete with each other.

Its not their job but it would help fiver itself. Better competition always result in better services. I learned this in my first semester in college, and it’s the vision of the most succeeded companies/countries in the world. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

YOU are responsible for your own success,

Not necessarily, because my sales boost here just for getting in the top of the searches, nothing else. When the algorithm changes and my gig “disappear”, my sales drop A LOT.

Fiverr isnt just a hosting, fiverr is a company. Fiverr site worth around $700 millions.

Making sellers freely and fairly compete will always result better for fiverr clients, because right now good part of the sales comes from keyword search (i did a research with my clients, and the result was 50% from keyword search, and 50% through categories browsing).

Buddy, I grow tired of you constantly telling me this. I am not spreading misinformation.

Just a short brief:

MY suggestions:

Rafael.

I’m guessing that you do not believe this is happening now?? 😕

I feel like there is a great deal of competition on 5r among sellers - too many in some cases. I’m having a heck of a time deciding who to hire. All gigs look exactly the same, all sellers write the same phrase in “I will (do vector tracing)” and lastly, everyone has 5 star reviews.

Buddy, I grow tired of you constantly telling me this. I am not spreading misinformation.

that’s not my fault you keep doing this.

by the way, these are MY suggestions to fiverr improve it’s site, in base of my knowledge and 3 years of experience as seller here.

I’m also getting tired to see you trying to bring down my posts using poor arguments, like fiverr “merely a hosting site” (which is not and you keep saying) or “It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job” (something I never said fiverr should do).

I’m not asking anything to fiverr, I’m suggesting to fiverr.

So if you dont want do discuss, try not reading or answer my posts 🙂

that’s not my fault you keep doing this.

by the way, these are MY suggestions to fiverr improve it’s site, in base of my knowledge and 3 years of experience as seller here.

I’m also getting tired to see you trying to bring down my posts using poor arguments, like fiverr “merely a hosting site” (which is not and you keep saying) or “It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job” (something I never said fiverr should do).

So if you dont want do discuss, try not reading or answer my posts 🙂

Unfortunately, Fiverr staff doesn’t read all of the comments posted on these forums. If you seek to make a productive suggestion, you might consider contacting Customer Support directly.

Unfortunately, Fiverr staff doesn’t read all of the comments posted on these forums. If you seek to make a productive suggestion, you might consider contacting Customer Support directly.

Unfortunately, Fiverr staff does read all

Uh, Jon, I think you wanted to say doesn’t

I’m guessing that you do not believe this is happening now?? 😕

I feel like there is a great deal of competition on 5r among sellers - too many in some cases. I’m having a heck of a time deciding who to hire. All gigs look exactly the same, all sellers write the same phrase in “I will (do vector tracing)” and lastly, everyone has 5 star reviews.

I’m guessing that you do not believe this is happening now??

I believe it is, but I’m sure it can always get better.

I feel like there is a great deal of competition on 5r among sellers

I’m not talking about to have or not competition with the seller, I was talking about to provide fairly ways to compete better. At the moment, like I experienced, half of my sales came from search results, but dont think that a seller in the 3rd page will compete equally with the seller in the 1st page. I saw a lot of TRS abandoning fiverr site just because this “dynamic” search algorithm because they wasnt getting more orders, and some new arrived sellers went to top because the changes and not because they were performing a good work before

Top of the search sell more, it’s a fact, but I’ll always fight to our meritocracy place use there, and not for no reasons (low rated users being listed first of top rated users when a buyer uses rating filter)

I already did, but forum is the best place to spread an idea between users.

or why is there FIVERR SITE SUGGESTIONS category on forum if we shouldn’t use this?

or why is there FIVERR SITE SUGGESTIONS category on forum if we shouldn’t use this?

Us “users” have no ability to enact the changes that you are calling for. So spreading an idea among those of us reading your posts really isn’t the right way to enact change. 😉

Us “users” have no ability to enact the changes that you are calling for. So spreading an idea among those of us reading your posts really isn’t the right way to enact change. 😉

Another distortion of the facts. I never said users have the ability to enact. Did i?

but we have the ability to talk with CS. And if more people who like the ideas I spread contact CS, for sure will help more too to achieve my objectives with this post 🙂

like it seems you are a forum expert, could you answer me 2 things?

1. why is there this forum category (FIVERR SITE SUGGESTIONS) if it’s not to spread/send our ideas/suggestions?
  2. why cant I send my ideas here AND contact fiverr support too?

Another distortion of the facts. I never said users have the ability to enact. Did i?

but we have the ability to talk with CS. And if more people who like the ideas I spread contact CS, for sure will help more too to achieve my objectives with this post 🙂

like it seems you are a forum expert, could you answer me 2 things?

1. why is there this forum category (FIVERR SITE SUGGESTIONS) if it’s not to spread/send our ideas/suggestions?
  2. why cant I send my ideas here AND contact fiverr support too?

Another distortion of the facts.

Fine. I wash my hands of you. You just want to argue, and you seem to want to be seen as the only person that can be right in this discussion.

I’ll let you continue your argument with someone else.

Another distortion of the facts.

Fine. I wash my hands of you. You just want to argue, and you seem to want to be seen as the only person that can be right in this discussion.

I’ll let you continue your argument with someone else.

so why your answers or arguments are not related with what I said or what I asked?

I want to have healthy discussion to grow up ideas (for myself or anyone else), even if these ideas aren’t useful.

If you keep running out the subject, trying to imposes things I didn’t say it will keep being distortion of the facts.

If you don’t like me to send my FIVER SITE SUGGESTIONS here, ask to fiverr forum responsible staff/moderators to delete this category or stop bothering with my posts.

so why your answers or arguments are not related with what I said or what I asked?

I want to have healthy discussion to grow up ideas (for myself or anyone else), even if these ideas aren’t useful.

If you keep running out the subject, trying to imposes things I didn’t say it will keep being distortion of the facts.

If you don’t like me to send my FIVER SITE SUGGESTIONS here, ask to fiverr forum responsible staff/moderators to delete this category or stop bothering with my posts.

I want to have healthy discussion to grow up ideas

If you want to have a discussion, then you have to politely discuss your ideas with those who have other viewpoints instead of just saying they are wrong or misinforming. There have always been discussions about whether Fiverr is a “host” alone or should be helping certain sellers in specific ways. They actually do experiment with promoting although at this exact moment some of that promotion is more focused on a new Fiverr-named “category initiative.” It will be interesting to see how that works out. Regardless, you might try to be more open to discussion if you want to discuss it.

ask to fiverr forum responsible staff/moderators to delete this category or stop bothering with my posts.

The moderators talked with staff about this category when the forum changed from it’s old branding to the new. It was decided to leave it be so people could talk about their site suggestions. Telling people to stop getting involved in your posts after you make them isn’t what the category is for, so try to work on having a “discourse” which is also the name of the current forum host. If you don’t want others to post and you just wanted your opinion to stand, please say so and this thread can be closed even if it would be premature in a real discussion.

If you want to have a discussion, then you have to politely discuss your ideas with those who have other viewpoints instead of just saying they are wrong or misinforming. There have always been discussions about whether Fiverr is a “host” alone or should be helping certain sellers in specific ways. They actually do experiment with promoting although at this exact moment some of that promotion is more focused on a new Fiverr-named “category initiative.” It will be interesting to see how that works out. Regardless, you might try to be more open to discussion if you want to discuss it.

ask to fiverr forum responsible staff/moderators to delete this category or stop bothering with my posts.

The moderators talked with staff about this category when the forum changed from it’s old branding to the new. It was decided to leave it be so people could talk about their site suggestions. Telling people to stop getting involved in your posts after you make them isn’t what the category is for, so try to work on having a “discourse” which is also the name of the current forum host. If you don’t want others to post and you just wanted your opinion to stand, please say so and this thread can be closed even if it would be premature in a real discussion.

then you have to politely discuss your ideas with those who have other viewpoints instead of just saying they are wrong or misinforming

when someone try to impose things that aren’t true or that I didn’t said are completely different than a point of view.

you might try to be more open to discussion if you want to discuss it.

I’m open to discussions, but when someone try to bring my point of view down with something not related with the subject, then I just protect my point of view with the same actions 🙂

It was decided to leave it be so people could talk about their site suggestions.

If you see my OP and the following conversations, it was my objective. That’s why I selected this category to send my ideas., while @jonbaas nstead keep on this post conversation/category objective, preferred to bring this to another side, like that I never mentioned, or related my OP:

"It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job – as a freelance services provider – for you."

or

"Unfortunately, Fiverr staff doesn’t read all of the comments posted on these forums. If you seek to make a productive suggestion, you might consider contacting Customer Support directly.“

or

"Us “users” have no ability to enact the changes that you are calling for. So spreading an idea among those of us reading your posts really isn’t the right way to enact change.”

Telling people to stop getting involved in your posts after you make them isn’t what the category is for, so try to work on having a “discourse”

Like I said, I’m here to have a healthy conversation/discussion, not to argue with something I never said. I’ll really prefer not to have people involved with my post if it’s for running away the subject. I prefer someone with a completely different idea or who doesn’t even agree with my idea, instead someone why try to dodge the subject.

I wont stop saying that someone is distorting the facts while someone trying to impose things I didn’t said 🙂

by the way even this conversation is not related with this post. I hope this is the last conversation NOT RELATED to this post.

Let’s keep with ideas, experiences related, critics, all related with this post, ok?

then you have to politely discuss your ideas with those who have other viewpoints instead of just saying they are wrong or misinforming

when someone try to impose things that aren’t true or that I didn’t said are completely different than a point of view.

you might try to be more open to discussion if you want to discuss it.

I’m open to discussions, but when someone try to bring my point of view down with something not related with the subject, then I just protect my point of view with the same actions 🙂

It was decided to leave it be so people could talk about their site suggestions.

If you see my OP and the following conversations, it was my objective. That’s why I selected this category to send my ideas., while @jonbaas nstead keep on this post conversation/category objective, preferred to bring this to another side, like that I never mentioned, or related my OP:

"It is unwise to expect Fiverr to do YOUR job – as a freelance services provider – for you."

or

"Unfortunately, Fiverr staff doesn’t read all of the comments posted on these forums. If you seek to make a productive suggestion, you might consider contacting Customer Support directly.“

or

"Us “users” have no ability to enact the changes that you are calling for. So spreading an idea among those of us reading your posts really isn’t the right way to enact change.”

Telling people to stop getting involved in your posts after you make them isn’t what the category is for, so try to work on having a “discourse”

Like I said, I’m here to have a healthy conversation/discussion, not to argue with something I never said. I’ll really prefer not to have people involved with my post if it’s for running away the subject. I prefer someone with a completely different idea or who doesn’t even agree with my idea, instead someone why try to dodge the subject.

I wont stop saying that someone is distorting the facts while someone trying to impose things I didn’t said 🙂

by the way even this conversation is not related with this post. I hope this is the last conversation NOT RELATED to this post.

Let’s keep with ideas, experiences related, critics, all related with this post, ok?

In my opinion, everything discussed in this thread has been on-topic. If you disagree that is fine. I suggest that you try harder to respect the community guidelines. Have a good one.

➡️See Forum Rules, Fiverr ToS and a summary of Community Guidelines . For questions or concerns regarding the Fiverr community sites, please contact Customer Support.

In my opinion, everything discussed in this thread has been on-topic. If you disagree that is fine. I suggest that you try harder to respect the community guidelines. Have a good one.

➡️See Forum Rules, Fiverr ToS and a summary of Community Guidelines . For questions or concerns regarding the Fiverr community sites, please contact Customer Support.

In my opinion, everything discussed in this thread has been on-topic

great then, so if someone suggest me to not post my ideas here here, I could suggest to don’t bother with this post too.

And dont worry, I never disrespected anyone in this post, no matter the point of view. or I would “fight” with @gina_riley2 too which brought me a different point of view.

If you want, I would like to know your ideas bout the suggestions i did on this post. I would really appreciate

I did try to talk a little about what I’ve seen discussed regarding this topic when I first replied, but it was deliberately low key since the “search” issue has been a hot button topic on and off for some time. I don’t always shy away from hot button topics and I don’t usually mind discussing them, but personal life circumstances have me limiting what I spend my energy on. The other issue for me is that when I have time I read everything I possible can on the forum and the debates about search have gone back and forth so much that I admit I find them a little repetitive now. Some of those threads did make people angry with each other because people are passionate about their work and their Fiverr accounts. Here is what I said earlier:

There have always been discussions about whether Fiverr is a “host” alone or should be helping certain sellers in specific ways. They actually do experiment with promoting although at this exact moment some of that promotion is more focused on a new Fiverr-named “category initiative.” It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I’m not going to elaborate a lot about this, but I see that Fiverr has recently put lots of emphasis on some new marketing campaigns (i.e. “DOER”) and on new badges and such. I really don’t know how that will go for Fiverr, buyers, or sellers, I’ve decided for now that my best bet is to watch and wait while also focusing my own efforts on maintaining relationships with my regular buyers and acquiring new ones with personal marketing instead of through Fiverr-based marketing.

I based my decision on what I’ve seen some other successful sellers do during this difficult time with algorithm testing and transition. I can tell you that the sellers I’ve seen do the same have seemed to do well with personal marketing in a way that is proportionate to their research, effort and sometime a marketing budget of their own. I can’t report much on my own results since I had to take a brief hiatus from all but some one-off custom orders. If I have more information later, I’ll be glad to share it when I have more time.

I did try to talk a little about what I’ve seen discussed regarding this topic when I first replied, but it was deliberately low key since the “search” issue has been a hot button topic on and off for some time. I don’t always shy away from hot button topics and I don’t usually mind discussing them, but personal life circumstances have me limiting what I spend my energy on. The other issue for me is that when I have time I read everything I possible can on the forum and the debates about search have gone back and forth so much that I admit I find them a little repetitive now. Some of those threads did make people angry with each other because people are passionate about their work and their Fiverr accounts. Here is what I said earlier:

There have always been discussions about whether Fiverr is a “host” alone or should be helping certain sellers in specific ways. They actually do experiment with promoting although at this exact moment some of that promotion is more focused on a new Fiverr-named “category initiative.” It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I’m not going to elaborate a lot about this, but I see that Fiverr has recently put lots of emphasis on some new marketing campaigns (i.e. “DOER”) and on new badges and such. I really don’t know how that will go for Fiverr, buyers, or sellers, I’ve decided for now that my best bet is to watch and wait while also focusing my own efforts on maintaining relationships with my regular buyers and acquiring new ones with personal marketing instead of through Fiverr-based marketing.

I based my decision on what I’ve seen some other successful sellers do during this difficult time with algorithm testing and transition. I can tell you that the sellers I’ve seen do the same have seemed to do well with personal marketing in a way that is proportionate to their research, effort and sometime a marketing budget of their own. I can’t report much on my own results since I had to take a brief hiatus from all but some one-off custom orders. If I have more information later, I’ll be glad to share it when I have more time.

I almost completely agree with you, except for the marketing.

Unfortunately I believe not every category a self-marketing works. In my case, if I design logos it would be easy to marketing myself, BUT I work with vector tracing. I could grossly say that more than 90% dont know what this mean or for what it work, they just reach to me because the ultimate need because some print company requested vectors, and most of them are a 1 time job only.

it’s possible to do some marketing but would never get close like a well known service like logo design, SEO, video animation, and etc.

anyway, I appreciate sharing your experience

hi same issue is with me. my main selling gig is the highest rated pdf editing gig. if u search “edit pdf” & select " AVG CUSTOMER REVIEW" filter, previously it’s the first result in first page. but now it’s move to 3rd row in first page. i have contacted fiverr CS & they said bellow… :thinking:

“Please keep in mind that Gigs are ranked based on recent performance not overall reviews that your Gig has. As you may know, Gig ranking are not permanent and may change over time.”

take a look on what I just got from fiver CS:

“We are sorry if you believe that we are copy pasting the answers to you, but we would like to simply clarify that Fiverr wants to give the opportunity even to those sellers who have no reviews yet or a starters with a few reviews gaines so far. Yes, those Gigs at times will be higher above TRS Gigs in search. That is Fiverr strategy of giving everyone the opportunity to be noticed and to shy.”

#1 has been tackled prior and many sellers did well. Then came some changes and experiments of which really need to stop. That said there are options to view average ratings however seeing an option for star rating would probably make the sorting a little easier; i.e. see sellers with x-amount of stars.

#2 may or may not work well as that will take extra coding to plug into the current setup. That said, buyers can search for gigs by price using the pricing feature combined with the type of ratings they’re looking for.

#3 has been and currently still is being requested by countless sellers. It has yet to surface but hopefully some time in near future.

Competition is present on almost every freelance platform with some engaging in a race to the bottom. Search at the moment is based on keyword search along with whichever filter(s) are selected by the viewer. Even when sellers guarantee to deliver the very best, some buyers will keep their eyes glued to the price as some - not all - want a whole lot for very little.

Maybe if the search algorithm were tweaked a bit or at least have an advanced search function of some kind that will enable viewers to be specific in their search criteria so they won’t have to worry about filler data while searching for ideal candidates. Translation: enable viewers to control what shows up when they do a search.

Example: Do a search for illustrators while checking options 4.5 Stars plus, comic and book. With this you’ll only see results of sellers with a 4.5 star rating and higher with comic and book illustration gigs.

#1 has been tackled prior and many sellers did well. Then came some changes and experiments of which really need to stop. That said there are options to view average ratings however seeing an option for star rating would probably make the sorting a little easier; i.e. see sellers with x-amount of stars.

#2 may or may not work well as that will take extra coding to plug into the current setup. That said, buyers can search for gigs by price using the pricing feature combined with the type of ratings they’re looking for.

#3 has been and currently still is being requested by countless sellers. It has yet to surface but hopefully some time in near future.

Competition is present on almost every freelance platform with some engaging in a race to the bottom. Search at the moment is based on keyword search along with whichever filter(s) are selected by the viewer. Even when sellers guarantee to deliver the very best, some buyers will keep their eyes glued to the price as some - not all - want a whole lot for very little.

Maybe if the search algorithm were tweaked a bit or at least have an advanced search function of some kind that will enable viewers to be specific in their search criteria so they won’t have to worry about filler data while searching for ideal candidates. Translation: enable viewers to control what shows up when they do a search.

Example: Do a search for illustrators while checking options 4.5 Stars plus, comic and book. With this you’ll only see results of sellers with a 4.5 star rating and higher with comic and book illustration gigs.

unfortunately this was the most sad but honest answer by fiverr CS: “We are sorry if you believe that we are copy pasting the answers to you, but we would like to simply clarify that Fiverr wants to give the opportunity even to those sellers who have no reviews yet or a starters with a few reviews gaines so far. Yes, those Gigs at times will be higher above TRS Gigs in search. That is Fiverr strategy of giving everyone the opportunity to be noticed and to shy.”

regarding to this, yes it may do difference or it may not, it will all depend on the performance in the end. But I dont mean by placement being based in the price of the gig, but in the price of the sale, it could be a $5 gig, but with a $15 as extras, making a total of a $20 sale, for example.

It doesnt mean these gigs will top the searches, but we must agree that a successful $20 sale is already better performed sale than a similar $5 sale.

Archived