The Right Writing Tips Think Tank Thread Or What to Write or What Not to Write Tips & Tricks

scriptwizard

No offence taken, I noticed other typo errors I made in the top of this thread too but your skim reading skills didn’t pick up on them & I always say a writing job ain’t ever finished until you’ve published it & in these discussion forums, the instant messaging boxes are all speed writing drafts auto published & one cannot see a mistake until one makes a mistake (while at the same time witnessed by everyone else).

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offence taken, I noticed other typo errors I made in the top of this thread too but your skim reading skills didn’t pick up on them & I always say a writing job ain’t ever finished until you’ve published it & in these discussion forums, the instant messaging boxes are all speed writing drafts auto published & one cannot see a mistake until one makes a mistake (while at the same time witnessed by everyone else).

The only draw back with suspending our own gigs is the “collect” numbers disappear. People have this obsession with collecting/swapping collects like they do with Facebook friends… to give the impresion they are popular (falsehood). When someone wants an eBook written (requested via my other writing gigs) I unsuspend my ghostwriting gig for them then & direct them there (like a back/front-door entrance service so-to-speak). Buyers then feel they are being treated special (the red carpet exclusive approach).

…I can’t see how writers on Fiverr can even think about advertising their gig unless they are outsourcing their work because if you are a successful gig writer seller, there isn’t any room for extra orders, it’s always busy enough… Don’t you think?

The only draw back with suspending our own gigs is the “collect” numbers disappear. People have this obsession with collecting/swapping collects like they do with Facebook friends… to give the impresion they are popular (falsehood). When someone wants an eBook written (requested via my other writing gigs) I unsuspend my ghostwriting gig for them then & direct them there (like a back/front-door entrance service so-to-speak). Buyers then feel they are being treated special (the red carpet exclusive approach).

…I can’t see how writers on Fiverr can even think about advertising their gig unless they are outsourcing their work because if you are a successful gig writer seller, there isn’t any room for extra orders, it’s always busy enough… Don’t you think?

You know I just don’t see $5 as anything other than chicken feed, peanuts & as you rightly point out it’s about £3 (give or take a few pennies). The minimum wage in this country is about treble that PER HOUR (at least). If people didn’t see my writing gigs/jobs as great value they can go annoy someone else with their fusspot idiocy.

I have a few gigs that deal with digital products too (product creation etc., well, that is about information products, eBooks, reports and so on) but because I am passionate about writing & get a real buzz from it, I just cannot help myself but to over-deliver (every time). I literally hate writing short pieces of written work (I still do though reluctantly), it suppresses my preferred style of writing.

You know I just don’t see $5 as anything other than chicken feed, peanuts & as you rightly point out it’s about £3 (give or take a few pennies). The minimum wage in this country is about treble that PER HOUR (at least). If people didn’t see my writing gigs/jobs as great value they can go annoy someone else with their fusspot idiocy.

I have a few gigs that deal with digital products too (product creation etc., well, that is about information products, eBooks, reports and so on) but because I am passionate about writing & get a real buzz from it, I just cannot help myself but to over-deliver (every time). I literally hate writing short pieces of written work (I still do though reluctantly), it suppresses my preferred style of writing.

@scriptwizard: I would think, but my question would be how detailed and how long are whatever it is that they are writing? In college I would crank out a 5 page research report in under an hour and a half (APA citations were slower to format than MLA) and that was with an (gasp!) electric typewriter and was always shocked to find I’d pulled the best grades.

For some reason personal essays (and by extension a good quarter of my blog posts) take longer and are usually only 300-500 words, the only reason I can think of is that I actually care and that must slow my writing. Of course I some of that time is dealing with art/photography and formatting for the web but that’s a small portion of the additional time.

@scriptwizard: I would think, but my question would be how detailed and how long are whatever it is that they are writing? In college I would crank out a 5 page research report in under an hour and a half (APA citations were slower to format than MLA) and that was with an (gasp!) electric typewriter and was always shocked to find I’d pulled the best grades.

For some reason personal essays (and by extension a good quarter of my blog posts) take longer and are usually only 300-500 words, the only reason I can think of is that I actually care and that must slow my writing. Of course I some of that time is dealing with art/photography and formatting for the web but that’s a small portion of the additional time.

Reply to @wendym: If your answer “42” is in any way the least bit relevant in this case, I shall forward on to you that plr pack but this had better be good (& how comes madmoo gets it? I’m too thick this afternoon).

Also if you can crank out good academic papers you’ll be highly sought after here in Fiverr. The people I’ve written them for just cannot get enough of them. That though is demanding work & gigs you can charge a lot more for. I just won’t take on any subjects I am not interested in because it depresses me too much with that boring citation routine.

Reply to @wendym: If your answer “42” is in any way the least bit relevant in this case, I shall forward on to you that plr pack but this had better be good (& how comes madmoo gets it? I’m too thick this afternoon).

Also if you can crank out good academic papers you’ll be highly sought after here in Fiverr. The people I’ve written them for just cannot get enough of them. That though is demanding work & gigs you can charge a lot more for. I just won’t take on any subjects I am not interested in because it depresses me too much with that boring citation routine.

@scriptwizard: 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), you can keep the prize I was just trying to make you laugh.

Right now I have a full schedule to keep and ethically I would not be comfortable writing papers for students. I have a son that is just now discovering the joys of writing term papers and I think it would set a bad example.

@scriptwizard: 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), you can keep the prize I was just trying to make you laugh.

Right now I have a full schedule to keep and ethically I would not be comfortable writing papers for students. I have a son that is just now discovering the joys of writing term papers and I think it would set a bad example.

Reply to @wendym: Totally agree with the ethical side of things & a good reason why I ceased to take on continuous gig orders from one individual. It was like me taking on an entire degree course I didn’t like (or didn’t have any interest in) only to have absolutely nothing to show for it (except chicken feed) at the end.

More importantly that person would come out qualified under false pretences. I had to earn my graduation the hard way & so should everyone else. I don’t mind helping students out from time to time though.

Reply to @wendym: Totally agree with the ethical side of things & a good reason why I ceased to take on continuous gig orders from one individual. It was like me taking on an entire degree course I didn’t like (or didn’t have any interest in) only to have absolutely nothing to show for it (except chicken feed) at the end.

More importantly that person would come out qualified under false pretences. I had to earn my graduation the hard way & so should everyone else. I don’t mind helping students out from time to time though.

scriptwizard said: More importantly that person would come out qualified under false pretences. I had to earn my graduation the hard way & so should everyone else. I don't mind helping students out from time to time though.

Exactly, I would happily teach anyone my system to help them write their own papers and would go a lot farther than simply writing the stupid paper for them.

scriptwizard said: More importantly that person would come out qualified under false pretences. I had to earn my graduation the hard way & so should everyone else. I don't mind helping students out from time to time though.

Exactly, I would happily teach anyone my system to help them write their own papers and would go a lot farther than simply writing the stupid paper for them.

Now now wendym, that paper might be very sensitive & appalled that you refer to it as stupid, it could be a piece of thick paper though, how about a stupendous piece of thick paper (without any intelligence whatsoever)? That would be more diplomatic.

OMG I really am in one of my weird moods tonight (& please do not comment anything like “What’s new?” or it’ll make me feel & look weirder).

Now now wendym, that paper might be very sensitive & appalled that you refer to it as stupid, it could be a piece of thick paper though, how about a stupendous piece of thick paper (without any intelligence whatsoever)? That would be more diplomatic.

OMG I really am in one of my weird moods tonight (& please do not comment anything like “What’s new?” or it’ll make me feel & look weirder).

Archived