Voiceover residuals/royalties

Guest megmclachlan

Exactly. Before this last idea of sending the file to myself (which you must admit it’s kinda of a non-intuitive process when really you are trying to send the thing to someone else), I was finally able to find a way to not need e-mails at all. However, during all this time, when I was trying to offer my way of doing things as a solution, people kept insisting I would get banned, even though I wasn’t trying to break anything, just to do my work.

Exactly

Personally,

This is just my opinion - it is still a risk.

I’m actively against rules that don’t make sense

If that is about forum rules then that is not really a good long term plan; it won’t end well.

there would be an outage and for people to just deliver early

Over 48 hours notice has been given about this outage - that is pretty sufficient for people to rearrange things surely.

no communication outside fiverr allowed

Personally, I don’t believe Fiverr would ever ban people simply for sharing emails etc in the manner you are mentioning. I have been told by my success manager (who works in the Trust and Safety department of CS) that those who are banned for these things actually deserve it and are likely to have been trying to get around the system in a negative way.

That said, if there is a way to avoid sharing emails, then it should be utilized to avoid misunderstandings.

Point in case - just check my most recent flagged post in another thread. Really? I was asking a genuine question. What rule did I break? Why was that flagged? This happens constantly.

You were completely O/T. You have been told before about being critical of people’s gigs when they have not asked for advice/critique.

I was not critical of anyone’s gigs. I asked a question which makes sense - You make it to level 2 with 28 reviews and you delete 90% of them with their corresponding gigs? That’s very odd, you must admit :S

Your level 2 seller will mean very little in this case, or potentially misleading.

Guest offlinehelpers

I was not critical of anyone’s gigs. I asked a question which makes sense - You make it to level 2 with 28 reviews and you delete 90% of them with their corresponding gigs? That’s very odd, you must admit :S

Your level 2 seller will mean very little in this case, or potentially misleading.

Nonsense I’m afraid. I’ve often changed all my gis from scratch - I retain all the feedbacks I had on my profile, just not on individual gigs.

Works for me! 🙂

Just because you haven’t tried it, or think it’s odd, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Nonsense I’m afraid. I’ve often changed all my gis from scratch - I retain all the feedbacks I had on my profile, just not on individual gigs.

Works for me! 🙂

Just because you haven’t tried it, or think it’s odd, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

I guess it can make sense at a certain point, when you’ve been doing it for years and you’re an established name, or with hundreds or thousands of reviews. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you have 28 reviews, I think. But hey, maybe it’s just me 🙂 I never said it was wrong, you’re correct 😉

One gig client asked me to doa VO, to be paid with royalties from the sales/hits on the videos. I am amenable to this, but was wondering how to do it through a Fiverr gig. We have options for buyouts, I don’t see options for percent residuals.

One gig client asked me to do VO, to be paid with royalties from the sales/hits on the videos.

I once had a similar offer regarding a Youtube Channel.

He was 1000% sure and very insistent on the huge opportunity I was being offered + it was an ongoin project + I was going to receive tons of revenue in the future.

I didn´t agree on working with that method. Instead, I asked the average monthly earning from the worst video on his the channel (considering the worst scenario here to give it a try) and considering it was a good number, I offered him to pay the same value for the video he wanted me to create, as the gig price.

Never heard from him again.

Exactly. Before this last idea of sending the file to myself (which you must admit it’s kinda of a non-intuitive process when really you are trying to send the thing to someone else), I was finally able to find a way to not need e-mails at all. However, during all this time, when I was trying to offer my way of doing things as a solution, people kept insisting I would get banned, even though I wasn’t trying to break anything, just to do my work.

Before this last idea of sending the file to myself (which you must admit it’s kinda of a non-intuitive process when really you are trying to send the thing to someone else), I was finally able to find a way to not need e-mails at all. However, during all this time, when I was trying to offer my way of doing things as a solution, people kept insisting I would get banned, even though I wasn’t trying to break anything, just to do my work.

I don’t know if me posting this will help, but I’ll try. Everyone who quotes the ToS excerpt here is technically correct, including you:

“Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the order page.”

That’s all fine and good. It’s why Eoin said that he agreed that a ban might not happen if done as you described. It’s why lots of people exchange contact info and never run into a problem.

Here is where you can run into issues: Fiverr is obviously not just a company, it’s a bunch of people who are responsible for various departments including CS, Trust and Safety, Editorial, etc. People have to interpret rules in order to make decisions about them. The average person who works for Fiverr might take the time to read through a particular transaction and interpret the way things were done as “necessary exchange of personal information.”

Human beings are also obviously flawed and sometimes even a whole group of people are having a bad day at the same time and they make decisions about things or interpret things in a certain way. Sometime or another some upset buyer or confused Fiverr user sends a complaint to Fiverr and they claim that you’ve exchanged contact info in a way that wasn’t necessary or in a way that was intended to break a rule. Fiverr staff can fall back on the ToS anytime (and it changes frequently) and via interpretation, you can run into these ToS-flavored brick walls:

“Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.” (If someone on staff decides you’ve done this, you can disagree all you want, but it wouldn’t be the first time a long-time user got in trouble for something they thought was OK.)

and the ever-present:

“Fiverr reserves the right to put any account on hold or permanently disable accounts due to breach of these terms of service or due to any illegal or inappropriate use of the Site or services.”

Every time I see a post from someone and they claim they are going to sue Fiverr for suspending their account, I think of the fact that most companies have some form of this statement in their terms. I also see users saying that they are furious that other sellers did XYZ and didn’t get in trouble but they feel their situation matches XYZ and they are in trouble. Again - interpretation by a human being can cause a rapid change. What does it mean to “breach” the ToS? You can argue that you didn’t do it, but if Fiverr decides that you did, they may or may not come around to see things your way.

I wrote this out because I don’t just see you upset about rules, @pedromleitao, I see it from other users too. If I get in trouble I would be upset too, especially if I was sure I hadn’t broken any rules or the rules made no sense. Nevertheless, at my age I’ve seen it happen under many umbrellas, not just under Fiverr’s. So, I also try to advise forum users to avoid taking risks, even when those risks are minor.

Giving out my email address openly without written permission isn’t worth it to me personally because I wouldn’t trade my Fiverr account for the chance to be right. I can apply the same argument to many other rules. Thankfully, just like the workaround that Annai suggested, most of the time we can find solutions that involve the least risk.

I know, TL;DR but "I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” (Mark Twain)strong text

Before this last idea of sending the file to myself (which you must admit it’s kinda of a non-intuitive process when really you are trying to send the thing to someone else), I was finally able to find a way to not need e-mails at all. However, during all this time, when I was trying to offer my way of doing things as a solution, people kept insisting I would get banned, even though I wasn’t trying to break anything, just to do my work.

I don’t know if me posting this will help, but I’ll try. Everyone who quotes the ToS excerpt here is technically correct, including you:

“Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the order page.”

That’s all fine and good. It’s why Eoin said that he agreed that a ban might not happen if done as you described. It’s why lots of people exchange contact info and never run into a problem.

Here is where you can run into issues: Fiverr is obviously not just a company, it’s a bunch of people who are responsible for various departments including CS, Trust and Safety, Editorial, etc. People have to interpret rules in order to make decisions about them. The average person who works for Fiverr might take the time to read through a particular transaction and interpret the way things were done as “necessary exchange of personal information.”

Human beings are also obviously flawed and sometimes even a whole group of people are having a bad day at the same time and they make decisions about things or interpret things in a certain way. Sometime or another some upset buyer or confused Fiverr user sends a complaint to Fiverr and they claim that you’ve exchanged contact info in a way that wasn’t necessary or in a way that was intended to break a rule. Fiverr staff can fall back on the ToS anytime (and it changes frequently) and via interpretation, you can run into these ToS-flavored brick walls:

“Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.” (If someone on staff decides you’ve done this, you can disagree all you want, but it wouldn’t be the first time a long-time user got in trouble for something they thought was OK.)

and the ever-present:

“Fiverr reserves the right to put any account on hold or permanently disable accounts due to breach of these terms of service or due to any illegal or inappropriate use of the Site or services.”

Every time I see a post from someone and they claim they are going to sue Fiverr for suspending their account, I think of the fact that most companies have some form of this statement in their terms. I also see users saying that they are furious that other sellers did XYZ and didn’t get in trouble but they feel their situation matches XYZ and they are in trouble. Again - interpretation by a human being can cause a rapid change. What does it mean to “breach” the ToS? You can argue that you didn’t do it, but if Fiverr decides that you did, they may or may not come around to see things your way.

I wrote this out because I don’t just see you upset about rules, @pedromleitao, I see it from other users too. If I get in trouble I would be upset too, especially if I was sure I hadn’t broken any rules or the rules made no sense. Nevertheless, at my age I’ve seen it happen under many umbrellas, not just under Fiverr’s. So, I also try to advise forum users to avoid taking risks, even when those risks are minor.

Giving out my email address openly without written permission isn’t worth it to me personally because I wouldn’t trade my Fiverr account for the chance to be right. I can apply the same argument to many other rules. Thankfully, just like the workaround that Annai suggested, most of the time we can find solutions that involve the least risk.

I know, TL;DR but "I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” (Mark Twain)strong text

This was very sensible and thought out. Props!

Fiverr should definitely look into expanding the file size limite for certain gig types, mainly video. Would solve a lot of the problems. It makes little sense for the limit to be the same for writing / logo and video gigs.

Guest megmclachlan

One gig client asked me to do VO, to be paid with royalties from the sales/hits on the videos.

I once had a similar offer regarding a Youtube Channel.

He was 1000% sure and very insistent on the huge opportunity I was being offered + it was an ongoin project + I was going to receive tons of revenue in the future.

I didn´t agree on working with that method. Instead, I asked the average monthly earning from the worst video on his the channel (considering the worst scenario here to give it a try) and considering it was a good number, I offered him to pay the same value for the video he wanted me to create, as the gig price.

Never heard from him again.

Ha! That’s awesome! In my case, I just took my gig fee with broadcast rights and wished him well. It went very smoothly.

This is the big disadvantage for VO artists here. There are many excellent ones, but for real projects communication outside of this platform is necessary. This way it isn’t even possible to give them IMDb credits.

I don’t think Fiverr has a problem with outside communication when necessary as long as everything gets OK’d by them. That’s why I mentioned written permission. People who have Success Managers have been told that they can use s***e, etc. as long as it’s all in the clear. I don’t have an SM but I’ve received permission for exceptions, like a family member having an account in the same house. I know of a popular TRS who made a gig that was edgy and she just had CS check it before it was published.

What seems to cause most of the problems for sellers that get into trouble is that they don’t run their ideas or questions past CS first. From what I understand they will even encourage the use of s***e for professional consultations as long as they feel there is transparency and up-front understanding.

How can I deliver a 4 gb file, then? Please enlighten me.

75611_1.png pedromleitao:

I would love to deliver it through Fiverr and not have to share e-mails, etc

You don’t have to share emails. If you are using We-transfer you can send the file to your own email address, once you get the download link forward it to your client.

Same with Google drive. You can send a shareable link only, in this case your email address won’t show.

I wouldn’t take that risk, and the buyer should not take the risk of paying in advance. So all the payments go through Fiverr anyway, so why would Fiverr care?

Because they are always people who are trying to game the system.

I regularly give my e-mail to clients, or ask their e-mail, because I work in video and the 150 mb limit is simply not enough. The number of clients that try to disguise their email (they’ll send something like “xxxx at g-m-a-i-l dot com” or similar) is hilarious.

Again, I would be really careful with this. Please, to anybody reading this, DO NOT exchange personal contact information unless you got permission from CS. Better safe than sorry.

You don’t have to share emails. If you are using We-transfer you can send the file to your own email address, once you get the download link forward it to your client.

Same with Google drive. You can send a shareable link only, in this case your email address won’t show.

Right on. With GDrive you can send a sharable link to the file without exposing your email address. Which is EXACTLY what Fiverr wants you to do. Same with Dropbox. Both work great.

With WeTransfer, you don’t even need to send it to yourself. There is an option on the free page that isn’t real obvious, but will give you the link as soon as you press “Transfer” (See screenshot below.)

610724314_WeTransferLink.thumb.png.763cbe4e4f4619265878a2b7995d88d3.png

This is the big disadvantage for VO artists here. There are many excellent ones, but for real projects communication outside of this platform is necessary. This way it isn’t even possible to give them IMDb credits.

There are many excellent ones, but for real projects communication outside of this platform is necessary.

I don’t know your definition of a “real project” but some of us voice over sellers have done quite a few “real projects” both on and off Fiverr, and when done right, you can easily do very large projects.

While we don’t get IMDb credits on Fiverr, you can build a large set of quality repeat clients, who pay reasonable amounts, earning quite a bit if you do it right.

While it’s nice to get those credits, I’ll take regular cash in exchange for my services.

Depending on the client needs, you can do s***e directed calls if needed.

While I would love for them to add video chat, and/or other messaging options, you can make the current system work well for larger gigs. (I’m sure some types of gigs will struggle with the current limitations…)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest megmclachlan

There are many excellent ones, but for real projects communication outside of this platform is necessary.

I don’t know your definition of a “real project” but some of us voice over sellers have done quite a few “real projects” both on and off Fiverr, and when done right, you can easily do very large projects.

While we don’t get IMDb credits on Fiverr, you can build a large set of quality repeat clients, who pay reasonable amounts, earning quite a bit if you do it right.

While it’s nice to get those credits, I’ll take regular cash in exchange for my services.

Depending on the client needs, you can do s***e directed calls if needed.

While I would love for them to add video chat, and/or other messaging options, you can make the current system work well for larger gigs. (I’m sure some types of gigs will struggle with the current limitations…)

@lisabaarns I understand not giving out personal info as per the TOS, but s***e in-lieu of phone patch is industry standard VO directing stuff and Fiverr should know this, there are SO many VO people on here. Have you had a directed session on s***e for a Fiverr client? Or did Fiverr get mad?

• 2 weeks later...

@lisabaarns I understand not giving out personal info as per the TOS, but s***e in-lieu of phone patch is industry standard VO directing stuff and Fiverr should know this, there are SO many VO people on here. Have you had a directed session on s***e for a Fiverr client? Or did Fiverr get mad?

I understand not giving out personal info as per the TOS, but s***e in-lieu of phone patch is industry standard VO directing stuff and Fiverr should know this, there are SO many VO people on here.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

You can do s***e directed calls on Fiverr, it just has to be AFTER the sale, and be part of what you offer. (Either a separate gig, or one of your gig extras.)

What we can’t do is a s***e session or pass s***e info before we book the job. That’s outside the Fiverr TOS.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand not giving out personal info as per the TOS, but s***e in-lieu of phone patch is industry standard VO directing stuff and Fiverr should know this, there are SO many VO people on here.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

You can do s***e directed calls on Fiverr, it just has to be AFTER the sale, and be part of what you offer. (Either a separate gig, or one of your gig extras.)

What we can’t do is a s***e session or pass s***e info before we book the job. That’s outside the Fiverr TOS.

@lisabaarns Actually that is incorrect. I checked with Fiverr staff about this because I have been thinking about offering live direction gig extra. Basically yes you can use s***e if it prevents you from making the sale. Here is the reply I got from @hilasuccess

“You are correct to say that according to Fiverr’s TOS, outside communication is not allowed and you are right to decline such requests (we ask our users to communicate within the platforms so we can protect our buyers and seller.) However, there are certain exceptions - s***e communication is ok, only if you cannot provide or deliver your service without it, and not as a stand alone Gig service, but as a Gig extra. It doesn’t make sense in every service of course[…]”

• 4 weeks later...

@lisabaarns Actually that is incorrect. I checked with Fiverr staff about this because I have been thinking about offering live direction gig extra. Basically yes you can use s***e if it prevents you from making the sale. Here is the reply I got from @hilasuccess

“You are correct to say that according to Fiverr’s TOS, outside communication is not allowed and you are right to decline such requests (we ask our users to communicate within the platforms so we can protect our buyers and seller.) However, there are certain exceptions - s***e communication is ok, only if you cannot provide or deliver your service without it, and not as a stand alone Gig service, but as a Gig extra. It doesn’t make sense in every service of course[…]”

Actually that is incorrect. I checked with Fiverr staff about this because I have been thinking about offering live direction gig extra. Basically yes you can use s***e if it prevents you from making the sale. Here is the reply I got from @hilasuccess

Note that I’ve been given conflicting info at points. If someone is newer to Fiverr, do it with caution is my recommendation.

If you have it as part of your gig, and they have ordered, it’s far clearer in the rules.

I would not take the word of one rep or Fiverr staff on that, but no stress from me if someone does it. I have seen when you have a major track record, then you get additional rope on the grey areas.

Again: Maybe it will work for some, you decide how far out on that limb you want to climb.

Archived