Tests to verify seller's skill level

finalstep

How about letting sellers take tests to verify they are expert in what they’re selling. Most freelance sites do this already and it works great. So if someone wants to sell SEO services they can take an optional test. After they do it can show what % they scored in and if they score say top 10% it can have an expert tag show on their gig.

It is a good idea, but then Fiverr would likely be held responsible/liable for claims against a seller that supposedly had their credentials verified by Fiverr.

I do like the idea, but I imagine Fiverr would find it a legal nightmare.

I currently write for one as a verified expert, private clients only, but the pay scale is also that of an expert.

I don’t see why. All they’re doing is letting sellers take automated tests. Every similar site to fiverr already does this with no issues. The feedback system on fiverr is not giving accurate indication of sellers abilities for many reasons, this would help a lot.

Well we are not freelance contractors hired by Fiverr no one receives a 1099, like most do on the other sites.

I am employee of said website, for example, so the employer has the right to verify credentials as a stipulation of employment.

Many freelance writers may think they are working for the buyer but in fact receive a 1099 from the broker (their employer), which is the person or entity that brings the buyer and seller together.

I am not saying this needs to be mandatory though. Just if a given seller wishes to take a test they can and if they do and do well fiverr can display a mark to signify that. Oh and the 1099s will come in due time, what we do here is no different than what you’d do on any freelance site, we pay fiverr a fee for the use of their platform.

Paypal will send one when the transaction(s) exceeds a specific amount or number, but Fiverr will never send anyone with a gig a 1099.

I like the idea however, and all writing sites I have worked for do have standards that must be met before I can do any work for them. On Fiverr it is buyer beware to some extent.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Finalstep do you talk to hear yourself think? Fiverr will not issue 1099’s to the oh i don’t know thousands upon thousands of sellers we have here. That’s a nightmare and a headache. On other freelance sites you have to do a 1099 if you earn over a specific amount. Seriously, and I think the reason they don’t do a credentials is for a good reason. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone could sue on grounds that they received crappy work from a so called expert. Seriously go back to trolling other peoples discussions because this is one point you can’t defend. We get the badges on Fiverr based on many dimensions including how skilled we are at our expertise. Obviously someone who’s not skilled could not receive, maintain, and fulfill the amount of orders many of us do in a month.

It eventually will to the US based ones. When you do business here you pay them a fee for using their platform / in theory work for them not the buyer, so yes eventually that will lead to 1099’s. They might make them optional or send only to sellers that reach a certain threshold but it will happen. Again every other site does for a reason.

And no you can’t sue for getting crappy work because the seller took a voluntary test, just like you can’t sue because you got crappy work from someone who has perfect feedback. I mean you can sue for anything in the US, but there is no grounds for it. I’m sure that’s in their TOS anyway. There’re tons of people here who provide crap SEO, etc that know nothing about it, a simple SEO test is a good way to weed those out. There are also many people with perfect ratings because the feedback system here has loop holes, like ability to refund someone after completing the order, hence why 98% of the sellers have 99% or higher feedback. That’s not normal and defeats the whole purpose of feedback imo. So a quick exam can prove if someone knows what they’re talking about.

On freelance sites, don’t sellers bid on the work buyers want? They are usually bidding a lot more than $5. I’m not saying there may not be some validating to what you are saying, but for $5 it sounds like we are going over board. Now if you want to submit your request/work requirement and let us bid on it and make $100, $200 or whatever for our time, than come talk to me. Otherwise, all you have to do is look at the ratings a seller has – if he is getting good ratings than he must be delivering what he is advertising. Besides, there are lot of other things I would want Fiverr spend their time on improving instead of adding another layer of burden on sellers.

Reply to @steveeyes: Well there’re plenty of customers here who do $100+ jobs and I think those people would benefit a lot from this as they have to be more thorough. Again I think this should be an optional feature a seller can take advantage of if they want to show case their ability, it can also be reflected in the search ranking. The ratings system here really is flawed, almost all sellers have near perfect ratings so it tells very little.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

In America and many other countries small claims court has no limits. Shoddy work can lead to a potential court case. So doing a “certification” like other sites do is not a recommended idea. That is why Fiverr hasn’t jumped on that bandwagon. now granted, a small claims case is only worth it if it’s more than a few hundred dollars but look at some of the top rated sellers and the amount of gigs they potentially sell and the money they make from them. What if one of the videos or presentations or whatever actually caused a company to lose money. This could be potentially be bad. You can’t slap a certificate on something and call it a day. If someone has the credentials isn’t it easier just to verify it or show the customer some how. Just a thought.

Archived