🍀 Seller's Notes on Controlling your Anger when dealing with Trouble Buyers 👺

woofy31

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have being dealing with all sort of customers since I was little. My family has an internet cafe, and been running almost 20 years now, and I have been helping out since the beginning. But, that years doesn’t really making me less angry when dealing with unreasonable customers. It just made me realize that I could choose. I just hope Fiverr would help me choose better, by making reviews on buyers available in their profile. 😉

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert in anger management, but I was a victim of anger. This thread is my view on the matter as it relates to my Fiverr career, with tips based on my own Fiverr experience over the course of seven years dealing with tenths of thousand of buyers, and how I managed to handle the issue. This is not one of those general anger management tips everyone can find online. These are honest life- & career-helping tips from one of the older sellers of Fiverr.

I never had to deal with the notion of “client” before Fiverr, and nobody could ever annoy me. After being welcomed to this wonderful community, I soon started to learn how it is to have a client. And soon, hundreds and later thousands of clients.

Almost all of them were great clients. Many of them were wonderful clients. With some of them, mostly regulars, I became friends (in a professional way). But like any marketplace out there, one cannot avoid the trouble-making clients as years go by.

I’ve been through a lot of situations where clients tried extorting me, threatening me or my wellbeing, use bad language that would make me really uncomfortable, throwing false accusations and name-calling me. This had an unforeseen impact on my emotions, soon finding myself in situations where anger took over me when those clients made it personal.

– rest assured, the anger was only mine to see and feel. I’ve been polite and respectful to these particular clients, and you should must be, too - left uncontrolled, your anger will indirectly project itself on your business

After seeing others in the forum, as well as outside, going through similar anger management issues, I started experimenting with my own emotions, with the anger I felt. For I don’t like invisible things controlling me. So here are my tips for you, you who are or have become short-tempered when dealing with troublesome clients:

1. Don’t keep the anger inside you, but don’t throw it at others (or at things) either. Keeping it inside you will make it worse, to the point of turning you into your own worst enemy (been there, not a nice view)

2. Don’t yell, hit or throw things thinking it is your buyer in front of you. That will have ugly consequences in the long run when being confronted with an actual human being. And your keyboard and mouse have no fault. Your table/desk takes a hit without any reason – put yourself in their places: would you enjoy being hit like that for no valid reason?

3. Instead of building the anger inside you, try talking through your frustrations with someone around you, who you know and won’t have the power to yell at or get mad at. Even if they don’t understand much of your buyer-problems or what you’re saying, they will comfort you, they’ll give you some new perspectives you wouldn’t have thought of while raging inside yourself (I do that with my mother, and she’s the best help I could ever get!)

4. Try focusing on observing your body’s reaction to anger. Instead of immediately yelling or hitting things, try focusing on what happens in your body while you’re angry: feel your heart pumping hard and try to cool it down; hear your fast/irregular breathing and try to slow it down; look at your shaking hands and try forcing them to stop shaking. Next thing you know, you’ll be calmer and you will definitely not want to observe such reactions again on yourself!

5. If you don’t have anyone around you to talk to, then change your environment/surroundings and forget about your buyer for now. Take a walk outside, watch other people being happy, watch that dog at the corner taking a wee on that bike without the biker noticing, look at the small things you’ve never noticed around you before. Fill yourself with the positivity around you – you earned it; if, however, you don’t want to get out or break away for a few, try looking back at your older positive reviews, remind yourself of the great words other buyers have left on your gig page, that should do the trick and raise your self-confidence to fight your anger 🙂

6. When your buyer is abusive, use that to your advantage. Make use of Fiverr’s Terms of Service, maybe quote the terms to your client, eventually reporting their behavior. It will feel good knowing that there’s a chance others will not go through what you went with that client if Fiverr decides to penalize them for their behavior;

7. When in doubt or out of working solutions, the Forum can actually help you see the bright side of your problems. I’ve found a lot of help while reading & even while contributing to the forum, and it’s been working great as an extra solution to calm down, relax and get away from buyer-related stress. In case you didn’t know, there’s even a “Ranting Pot” forum category where you can discharge your feelings in writing, just make sure to use proper language, be polite & respectful, and avoid name-calling and all that bad stuff that you wouldn’t want to see at your own door 😉

If you’re one of the lucky ones who’ve found their own way of dealing with anger issues, please share your methods with us.

Great advice…I am third kind of a person who try to to talk to someone when frustrated about the client and exactly as you said …most of the times , that person is my mother and she’s the best in handling me for these situation. 🙂

Any suggestion how to deal with Fiverr support? 😃

With patience and a cool head. Customer Support is fantastic, and they do their best to help everyone with a legitimate concern or issue. Patience really is the best course of action.

With patience and a cool head. Customer Support is fantastic, and they do their best to help everyone with a legitimate concern or issue. Patience really is the best course of action.

Yeah, I agree, but sometimes it is hard to have patience when they keep leaving you for 7 days without a reply or when they do finally reply they repeat what I already know.

Yeah, I agree, but sometimes it is hard to have patience when they keep leaving you for 7 days without a reply or when they do finally reply they repeat what I already know.

I know. But, patience is still the best course of action. Being openly impatient with Customer Support can be far more damaging – and may result in them blocking you from ever contacting them again.

I know. But, patience is still the best course of action. Being openly impatient with Customer Support can be far more damaging – and may result in them blocking you from ever contacting them again.

Yeah, I agree, but they already made an error with my ticket issue. They admitted that they had breached their own TOS and now they are not replying back.

I don’t mind them making a mistake cos after all they are only human, like all of us, but a simple I am sorry would do so much.

What I literally can’t stand is injustice, treating people with no respect and making people dumb. This is how Fiverr support is dealing with my ticket so when I pin pointed to all of their mistakes and faults they stopped replying.

Anyway, this is not the topic about it. I already accepted how Fiverr works so I will not bother with quality control nor client support since there is no point.

Yeah, I agree, but they already made an error with my ticket issue. They admitted that they had breached their own TOS and now they are not replying back.

I don’t mind them making a mistake cos after all they are only human, like all of us, but a simple I am sorry would do so much.

What I literally can’t stand is injustice, treating people with no respect and making people dumb. This is how Fiverr support is dealing with my ticket so when I pin pointed to all of their mistakes and faults they stopped replying.

Anyway, this is not the topic about it. I already accepted how Fiverr works so I will not bother with quality control nor client support since there is no point.

People are responsible for their own actions. You cannot make people dumb. “Dumb” is a choice people make for themselves.

As far as injustice, I doubt that has anything to do with Customer Support’s interactions with you. If I was CS, I don’t think I would like someone telling me how wrong I am, or pointing out all of my faults and mistakes just because they were unhappy or angry with me. Yes, Fiverr tries to help everyone who needs help, but I don’t blame them for ignoring someone who makes demands, and berates them for not being perfect or acting as that person wants them to.

EDIT: Point of fact (from another post you wrote in another thread), you received a negative review. It happens. It’s not the end of the world. Fiverr does not have to remove that negative review, just because you demand that they erase it just so that you can keep your perfect 100% seller rating. That’s not how Fiverr works, regardless of how long you’ve been selling on this site.

And, for the record, I think your comments DO relate to this thread – that being, “notes on controlling anger when dealing with trouble buyers”. The interactions you have with CS are a lot like the interactions between a buyer and a seller. You need to treat Customer Support just as respectfully as you would a troublesome buyer. Otherwise, well… you seem to be seeing the consequences of not doing so in your relations with CS.

People are responsible for their own actions. You cannot make people dumb. “Dumb” is a choice people make for themselves.

As far as injustice, I doubt that has anything to do with Customer Support’s interactions with you. If I was CS, I don’t think I would like someone telling me how wrong I am, or pointing out all of my faults and mistakes just because they were unhappy or angry with me. Yes, Fiverr tries to help everyone who needs help, but I don’t blame them for ignoring someone who makes demands, and berates them for not being perfect or acting as that person wants them to.

EDIT: Point of fact (from another post you wrote in another thread), you received a negative review. It happens. It’s not the end of the world. Fiverr does not have to remove that negative review, just because you demand that they erase it just so that you can keep your perfect 100% seller rating. That’s not how Fiverr works, regardless of how long you’ve been selling on this site.

And, for the record, I think your comments DO relate to this thread – that being, “notes on controlling anger when dealing with trouble buyers”. The interactions you have with CS are a lot like the interactions between a buyer and a seller. You need to treat Customer Support just as respectfully as you would a troublesome buyer. Otherwise, well… you seem to be seeing the consequences of not doing so in your relations with CS.

I am too tired of explaining myself and venturing into dialogue (again) that doesn’t make sense as well as being pointless. I truly wish that you experience the same thing I did. Once you do, feel free to contact me back and we can discuss again.

Common sense is common sense. You can TRY to argue differently and I wish you all the best with your efforts.

EDIT: I don’t mind receiving a negative review when (if I will ever) I earned it due to poor performance, but when I receive it due to the incompetence of Fiverr Support than this is something completely different. It is not about keeping 100% seller rating, it is about integrity and client support. Please take no offense, but unlike you, I never provide something I am not qualified nor do I provide bad service.

It is funny how you quickly judged me and my actions when you don’t even know the facts nor me in person. I guess you judge a book by its cover.

I know how Fiverr works from inside too so thank you for your valuable comments.

What makes you think that I didn’t treat them respectfully while they did quite the opposite?

Usually, I like to hear both sides of stories before making any judgment, but it is refreshing to see that you are open minded lol 😃

Again, again, and again, thank you for your valuable insight. I guess you are a type of person who is always right and everyone else is wrong. Right? lol 😃

This was fun, inspiring and entertaining 😛 From bottom of my heart, I truly hope that you experience what other people and I myself experienced 😃 😃 😃 Then again, you are sort of bloke which doesn’t concern himself with quality service and long-term client relationship. I see that you have a lot of ‘‘troublesome buyers’’, but than again, its not you, its them 😛

Agree with you 100% on the patience and cool heads. You can curse the buyer out all you want from home, but keep it professional on the keyboard. Being super specific with what I would call “trouble areas” of your gig (I think those of you who have been here a while know where those areas can be) has helped me with the occasional challenging buyer who wants the world for $5, and to have it right now.

I am specific in gig descriptions and also repeat situtations that could cause confusion or a something-for-nothing attitude (in my case, clients who want voiceover synched with their videos, or translated from Spanish or English or other services for free) in the gig requirements.

And in the end, if you do have to cancel, all of your contact with the buyer is on record, and Fiverr reps can and will go through that communication to look into the confusion. Keeping that communication positive, while it might not resolve the conflict, will reflect positively on you, and I feel keeping things positive and professional have minimized negative situations.

Less stress=better living.

Cheers from Cancun!

Andy

I am too tired of explaining myself and venturing into dialogue (again) that doesn’t make sense as well as being pointless. I truly wish that you experience the same thing I did. Once you do, feel free to contact me back and we can discuss again.

Common sense is common sense. You can TRY to argue differently and I wish you all the best with your efforts.

EDIT: I don’t mind receiving a negative review when (if I will ever) I earned it due to poor performance, but when I receive it due to the incompetence of Fiverr Support than this is something completely different. It is not about keeping 100% seller rating, it is about integrity and client support. Please take no offense, but unlike you, I never provide something I am not qualified nor do I provide bad service.

It is funny how you quickly judged me and my actions when you don’t even know the facts nor me in person. I guess you judge a book by its cover.

I know how Fiverr works from inside too so thank you for your valuable comments.

What makes you think that I didn’t treat them respectfully while they did quite the opposite?

Usually, I like to hear both sides of stories before making any judgment, but it is refreshing to see that you are open minded lol 😃

Again, again, and again, thank you for your valuable insight. I guess you are a type of person who is always right and everyone else is wrong. Right? lol 😃

This was fun, inspiring and entertaining 😛 From bottom of my heart, I truly hope that you experience what other people and I myself experienced 😃 😃 😃 Then again, you are sort of bloke which doesn’t concern himself with quality service and long-term client relationship. I see that you have a lot of ‘‘troublesome buyers’’, but than again, its not you, its them 😛

I truly wish that you experience the same thing I did. Once you do, feel free to contact me back and we can discuss again.

Like any seller, I have received reviews that I do not think were appropriate. I am aware of how it feels. It is part of being a seller here on Fiverr. I have not, however, berated Customer Support, and called them out for their mistakes. That was a poor choice on your part. And you are experiencing the consequences as a result.

I have no sympathy for the choices you have made.

Why would I argue against common sense? I am extremely pro-common sense. Any of my other many comments on these forums will easily reflect this.

Please take no offense, but unlike you, I never provide something I am not qualified nor do I provide bad service.

Oh, good Lord, don’t even go there. I am extremely qualified to offer the services that I offer here on Fiverr. My services and reviews support this. Let’s not insult other people to make yourself look better.

Again, insulting me is not the answer. I do my best to share accurate information here on the forums. I don’t LIKE to be right just for the sake of being right, I TRY to be right for the sake of helping others.

Then again, you are sort of bloke which doesn’t concern himself with quality service and long-term client relationship. I see that you have a lot of ‘‘troublesome buyers’’, but than again, its not you, its them 😛

Again, insulting me is not the best course of action, nor does it paint you in a good light. Please do not insult other people here on the forums. You can do better.

Agree with you 100% on the patience and cool heads. You can curse the buyer out all you want from home, but keep it professional on the keyboard. Being super specific with what I would call “trouble areas” of your gig (I think those of you who have been here a while know where those areas can be) has helped me with the occasional challenging buyer who wants the world for $5, and to have it right now.

I am specific in gig descriptions and also repeat situtations that could cause confusion or a something-for-nothing attitude (in my case, clients who want voiceover synched with their videos, or translated from Spanish or English or other services for free) in the gig requirements.

And in the end, if you do have to cancel, all of your contact with the buyer is on record, and Fiverr reps can and will go through that communication to look into the confusion. Keeping that communication positive, while it might not resolve the conflict, will reflect positively on you, and I feel keeping things positive and professional have minimized negative situations.

Less stress=better living.

Cheers from Cancun!

Andy

if you do have to cancel, all of your contact with the buyer is on record, and Fiverr reps can and will go through that communication to look into the confusion. Keeping that communication positive, while it might not resolve the conflict, will reflect positively on you, and I feel keeping things positive and professional have minimized negative situations.

Excellent points! Fiverr is more likely to side with a seller who has a cool head when dealing with troublesome buyers. And, as you noted, everything is on-file in the order communication – which CS does read when judging a disagreement. Patience and positivity are always the best course of action.

I truly wish that you experience the same thing I did. Once you do, feel free to contact me back and we can discuss again.

Like any seller, I have received reviews that I do not think were appropriate. I am aware of how it feels. It is part of being a seller here on Fiverr. I have not, however, berated Customer Support, and called them out for their mistakes. That was a poor choice on your part. And you are experiencing the consequences as a result.

I have no sympathy for the choices you have made.

Why would I argue against common sense? I am extremely pro-common sense. Any of my other many comments on these forums will easily reflect this.

Please take no offense, but unlike you, I never provide something I am not qualified nor do I provide bad service.

Oh, good Lord, don’t even go there. I am extremely qualified to offer the services that I offer here on Fiverr. My services and reviews support this. Let’s not insult other people to make yourself look better.

Again, insulting me is not the answer. I do my best to share accurate information here on the forums. I don’t LIKE to be right just for the sake of being right, I TRY to be right for the sake of helping others.

Then again, you are sort of bloke which doesn’t concern himself with quality service and long-term client relationship. I see that you have a lot of ‘‘troublesome buyers’’, but than again, its not you, its them 😛

Again, insulting me is not the best course of action, nor does it paint you in a good light. Please do not insult other people here on the forums. You can do better.

You keep saying that I berated CS like you know the whole case, and like you are familiar with everything that happened, but you don’t know, or do you?

No one insulted you. I merely pointed obvious, like you did for something you are not familiar with. You kept talking about my case with Fiverr CS, but you don’t know anything yet you gave yourself enough freedom to accuse me of berating them?? Feel free to share accurate information when you have enough information to share, but until then it would be good to learn true facts before going forward. I now did the same thing to you like you did to me and you don’t when someone treats you in the same way you treat others? I shared accurate information from what I saw on your profile, right? Do I know the whole picture? Absolutely NO. Do you see what I am trying to tell you? You didn’t present yourself in good light. I just gave you a taste of your own medicine, that is all. I have nothing against you.

Best of luck and be positive 🙂

You keep saying that I berated CS like you know the whole case, and like you are familiar with everything that happened, but you don’t know, or do you?

No one insulted you. I merely pointed obvious, like you did for something you are not familiar with. You kept talking about my case with Fiverr CS, but you don’t know anything yet you gave yourself enough freedom to accuse me of berating them?? Feel free to share accurate information when you have enough information to share, but until then it would be good to learn true facts before going forward. I now did the same thing to you like you did to me and you don’t when someone treats you in the same way you treat others? I shared accurate information from what I saw on your profile, right? Do I know the whole picture? Absolutely NO. Do you see what I am trying to tell you? You didn’t present yourself in good light. I just gave you a taste of your own medicine, that is all. I have nothing against you.

Best of luck and be positive 🙂

No one insulted you.

You did. You insulted me multiple times – as I pointed out. But I’ll brush it off. I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you.

Archived