Buyer gave 4 stars for late delivery, I delivered a day before deadline

adityasharma3d

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Buyer has declined to revise the rating, this is the buyers response.

I responded to you truthfully. You did good, and that is how I rated you. I also took the time to tell you that a personal note would have been better than a canned response. I have plenty more work, but wanted to give you a trial run. Delivering in 3 days instead of four is not the only thing that would make your service great. This is not my first time to use Fiverr as I have been a customer for many, many years. As far as your comment regarding earnings potential, that is your choice how you handle new customers, but it is certainly not a way to gain additional business. I gave you a good rating.

I had to resend the message as I was getting an error message when I was sending the message.

This is how I responded:

You were truthful but you were also hopeful. I think expecting me to over deliver is unfair.

I delivered as per the contract we had, as per the gig you purchased and I delivered before time.

It wasn’t a canned response, I never use canned responses. I had to resend the message because I was getting error messages.

If someone purchases the extra fast delivery option, it is my duty to provide them a faster delivery, choice has nothing to do with it, it’s a way to make a sustainable living.

I apologize that I couldn’t deliver 20$ worth of service for 10$.

I feel it’s a solid response and it’s good to stand your ground when it comes to completing work and how you delivered (when it’s clearly advertised you delivered within your advertised time). If your Buyer had any expectations it should have been discussed beforehand so you both are on the same page. It’s unfair for things not be communicated about the project before or during the completion process. He’s simply not putting himself in your shoes, which is unfortunate.

I would simply end it there and rate them accordingly to your own experience and make it clearly you delivered ahead of schedule and reached out to the Buyer after delivery but they had other expectations you weren’t aware of when it come to your Gig that you don’t offer and was not purchased.

Remember, if you choose to work them in the future, that will be up to you and you alone.

I know, but it kinda hurts. My ratings are at 99% now. 😦

I know, but it kinda hurts. My ratings are at 99% now.

Seriously? You are complaining about a 99% seller rating?

A 99% seller rating is excellent. You have nothing to complain about.

I know, but it kinda hurts. My ratings are at 99% now.

Seriously? You are complaining about a 99% seller rating?

Jon,

I think you’re focusing on the one, tiny negative instead of the overall positive.

Aditya response, attitude and conduct has been very professional. Any potential buyer seeing this would give him kudos for his behavior.

Any buyer or buyer/seller would be proud and eager to work with someone so pleasant. His response lets them know he won’t be bullied at the same time, he will be professional.

That buyer is feeling really small right now, probably why he won’t change the review.

I don’t see anything wrong with sellers wanting the highest rating possible.

Jon,

I think you’re focusing on the one, tiny negative instead of the overall positive.

Aditya response, attitude and conduct has been very professional. Any potential buyer seeing this would give him kudos for his behavior.

Any buyer or buyer/seller would be proud and eager to work with someone so pleasant. His response lets them know he won’t be bullied at the same time, he will be professional.

That buyer is feeling really small right now, probably why he won’t change the review.

My point – and we see this complaint often from many on this forum – is that some sellers are expecting 100% seller ratings, when, with the new Fiverr review policy, this is becoming less and less likely. A perfect rating is probably the wrong thing to be complaining about. A 99% rating, even a 98% rating – in the grand scheme of things – is a fantastic seller rating.

Sellers are not going to lose the ability, or reputation, for making sales if they don’t have a 100% rating. Some buyers may choose to leave a 4-star review, and that is their right – if they feel that their experience with the seller/order warrants such. A 4-star review is not a bad review.

My point – and we see this complaint often from many on this forum – is that some sellers are expecting 100% seller ratings, when, with the new Fiverr review policy, this is becoming less and less likely. A perfect rating is probably the wrong thing to be complaining about. A 99% rating, even a 98% rating – in the grand scheme of things – is a fantastic seller rating.

Sellers are not going to lose the ability, or reputation, for making sales if they don’t have a 100% rating. Some buyers may choose to leave a 4-star review, and that is their right – if they feel that their experience with the seller/order warrants such. A 4-star review is not a bad review.

That is not the issue actually. If he had done a bad job then we can say he doesn’t need to complain of a 99% rating. The issue here is what has fiverr got to do in such a situation. Why will a buyer order a gig with 4 days delivery and then leave a rating of 4 star and then complain that the seller delivered late, when the seller actually delivered on time. I think that should be the focus of the replies here.

That is not the issue actually. If he had done a bad job then we can say he doesn’t need to complain of a 99% rating. The issue here is what has fiverr got to do in such a situation. Why will a buyer order a gig with 4 days delivery and then leave a rating of 4 star and then complain that the seller delivered late, when the seller actually delivered on time. I think that should be the focus of the replies here.

Exactly, getting a worse rating not because of legitimate reasons, but because of fake ones. But there is nothing more to add here from my perspective, all has been already said.

EDIT:

And this has nothing to do with hating, or pointing fingers as no system is full-proof, things slip under the radar that is normal.

It is about improving the experience for both sides.

Of course you will do as you wish, but giving a seller full marks might not make others aware that he sure is no “saint”, if he does not retract his false statement.

It is also up to us to mark buyers, which is why this option is available, just to hint one to another to be careful. This is what buyers do also in giving out marks to sellers, when they are sincere.

So no, I don’t believe that this would be only out of spite (also 4 mark for 4 marks is legit in my opinion in this situation), but would act as a warning to other sellers (@solutionshub_au), and not a pissing contest.

However I did spend enough time on this thread 😉 going back to work.

I’m not saying the whole of a customer review would be spite. What I am saying is putting one-star and nothing else might be enough and not a problem, but putting one start with “This buyer is a D*** and a cheapskate, work for this person and you may as well start off with a bottle of vodka” might induce a return salvo which creates more headaches.

To recap; I am all about causality and consequence, someone does the wrong thing (in a vindictive manner) then the equivalent should be returned to them tenfold to ensure no repeat. You just aren’t in the right platform to do that successfully.

I’m not saying the whole of a customer review would be spite. What I am saying is putting one-star and nothing else might be enough and not a problem, but putting one start with “This buyer is a D*** and a cheapskate, work for this person and you may as well start off with a bottle of vodka” might induce a return salvo which creates more headaches.

To recap; I am all about causality and consequence, someone does the wrong thing (in a vindictive manner) then the equivalent should be returned to them tenfold to ensure no repeat. You just aren’t in the right platform to do that successfully.

No need to go to such an extreme with the buyer review, of course it is silly when you put it that way.

Just state in buyer review: 4 stars for being unjust in review; then add the chat history that concerned this. If it is documented it is there for everyone to see. And just move forward, without the need to ponder. I am not suggesting this to anyone here, don’t know if the rules allow it, just speaking my mind.

Again, you are here longer than me and so are other folks, I might be in the wrong.

What I am speaking about is work etiquette that should apply to both sides, which I have encountered in my daily work with clients throughout my working life. I treat clients with respect and they treat me back with respect.

No need to go to such an extreme with the buyer review, of course it is silly when you put it that way.

Just state in buyer review: 4 stars for being unjust in review; then add the chat history that concerned this. If it is documented it is there for everyone to see. And just move forward, without the need to ponder. I am not suggesting this to anyone here, don’t know if the rules allow it, just speaking my mind.

Again, you are here longer than me and so are other folks, I might be in the wrong.

What I am speaking about is work etiquette that should apply to both sides, which I have encountered in my daily work with clients throughout my working life. I treat clients with respect and they treat me back with respect.

I know and you’re right, my point (which I may not have made clear) was that you can’t bank on the customer keeping a professional manner in their dealings.

I know and you’re right, my point (which I may not have made clear) was that you can’t bank on the customer keeping a professional manner in their dealings.

Yes, the reason being they do not have a file with reviews (which is my point), they can do whatever they please with no consequence.

Imagine if the sellers here had no review stats? How would a buyer know if they are reliable?

However this is a slippery slope as we know, it might drive away buyers. And one can only ponder about the number of sellers the lack of buyers stats drove away.

Yes, the reason being they do not have a file with reviews (which is my point), they can do whatever they please with no consequence.

Imagine if the sellers here had no review stats? How would a buyer know if they are reliable?

However this is a slippery slope as we know, it might drive away buyers. And one can only ponder about the number of sellers the lack of buyers stats drove away.

more than id like to imagine really

I think the first falsely issued and claimed 4 star rating hurts the most. Its all down hill from there 😉

I think the first falsely issued and claimed 4 star rating hurts the most. Its all down hill from there 😉

That is the gut wrenching feeling I’m getting right now, that this is just the start and I may never have a 100% positive feedback rating again.

If your Buyer had any expectations it should have been discussed beforehand.

He’s simply not putting himself in your shoes, which is unfortunate.

would simply end it there and rate them accordingly to your own experience

if you choose to work them in the future, that will be up to you and you alone.

Exactly, all he did was order a gig, sent the video link and was off.

Mind you, he ordered the gig while I was editing it, so when he ordered it, my gig title was $10/10min but the video section still mentioned only 5 minute clips. I had increased the price so as to deter newer buyers, as I got a bigger project outside of fiverr. Hell it’s 5 am and I doubt I will get any time to sleep today.

The problem is, I already rated them 5 stars, I fear if I reduce the rating they may do the same.

Nope, never working with this guy again.

I had to cancel an order 2 months ago, I am still new to fiverr and ended up biting more than I could chew, if that buyer would have left a negative reply, I would have totally understood.

So the point is that we all get unfair reviews sometimes.

It’s that unfair part, that is bugging me.

The issue here is what has fiverr got to do in such a situation. Why will a buyer order a gig with 4 days delivery and then leave a rating of 4 star and then complain that the seller delivered late, when the seller actually delivered on time. I think that should be the focus of the replies here.

Exactly, if it was a bad delivery then I would have accepted it.

You just aren’t in the right platform to do that successfully.

Yeah, but I doubt any platform exists online which actually cares about their freelancers.

Thank you. I actually feel sad that most seller have come to accept some of the unfair practices here on fiverr instead of voicing their concerns.

Update:

Seller Replied:

Ok, so you’re going to continue to insult me. If you want the truth, when you didn’t inquire, I decided to do it myself and it only took 10 minutes. How can you actually say that you are doing me a service worth $20 when it was 10 minutes of work? That’s ridiculous. The video was very short.
You’re being such a jerk about it, maybe I should edit my rating lower.

My response:

I didn’t insult you.
Usually buyers inquire before purchasing the gigs, when they don’t, I just simply do what was requested. Subtitling doesn’t require much info to begin working, you had provided me with a video and that was all I needed.
That’s great that you could subtitle 6+ minutes of video in 10 minutes. My speed is only 6 minutes of content in an hour, and the average is around 8-10 minutes in an hour.
It was 20$ worth because that is what you would have payed to get me to do this in a day, you may check the gig page again.
I’m not trying to be a jerk.
Lets just agree to disagree.
Have a nice day.

I am not happy with my response, I wanted to call him out for trying to threaten me with lower ratings but before I responded I got a message from fiverr customer care, it was an automated response and the CS assumed I wanted to cancel the order?!
This kinda made me feel that fiverr might not remove the bad rating if I end up replying rudely.

I have asked the CS to unmark the ticket as solved and to look into the matter again.

Customer care responded:

Thanks for following up.
You conversation with the buyer has been reviewed in detail. Seeing as how the feedback is a representation of your buyer’s overall impression of the order and the service rendered and it is in no way a violation of our Terms of Service I see absolutely no reason for it be removed. The buyer wasn’t unfair, unrealistic or insulting in their feedback. I am certain you can appreciate that neither you nor anyone can predict what a buyer might expect from an order or what standards they will hold it to. Once those expectations are made obvious the best thing anyone could is to discuss them, which is what you’ve already been asked to do.
I’ve also noticed your buyer felt insulted in one the last messages and would kindly ask you to clear that situation up with them as soon as possible.

My response:

Hi Dante,

So as per the buyer if a seller completes an order in 3 days instead of 4, he deserves to be given a lower rating and you see that as an acceptable practice.
So basically buyers should not buy extra fast delivery options and just give a lower rating to any seller who doesn’t deliver their work with utmost priority.
I would like to bring to your notice that I feel cheated out of a 5 star review, I was hoping you could clear that situation up.
Having expectation with regard to the quality of work is one thing, but having an expectation with regard to the delivery time is unrealistic. I charge 10$ extra for faster delivery, they didn’t purchase that option.
The buyer mentioned how he hoped for a faster delivery looking at my reviews, none of my recent reviews mentioned anything about faster delivery, they all rated me for the quality of the final delivery and my behavior with them.
Thank you for the support.
Regards.

I may have been a bit tilted considering that they were more bothered that the buyer felt insulted.

Reduced the buyer rating to 4 stars, of course that does nothing, since buyer reviews are never visible.

There is nothing you can do about such things so why keep worrying about it?

I know how aggravating it is but try to put it behind you as quickly as possible rather than dwelling on it. It’s not the end of the world.

You are right and I know I tend to worry too much about small things, but I just can’t help it. Am trying though.

Customer care responded:

Thanks for following up.

You conversation with the buyer has been reviewed in detail. Seeing as how the feedback is a representation of your buyer’s overall impression of the order and the service rendered and it is in no way a violation of our Terms of Service I see absolutely no reason for it be removed. The buyer wasn’t unfair, unrealistic or insulting in their feedback. I am certain you can appreciate that neither you nor anyone can predict what a buyer might expect from an order or what standards they will hold it to. Once those expectations are made obvious the best thing anyone could is to discuss them, which is what you’ve already been asked to do.

I’ve also noticed your buyer felt insulted in one the last messages and would kindly ask you to clear that situation up with them as soon as possible.

My response:

Hi Dante,

So as per the buyer if a seller completes an order in 3 days instead of 4, he deserves to be given a lower rating and you see that as an acceptable practice.

So basically buyers should not buy extra fast delivery options and just give a lower rating to any seller who doesn’t deliver their work with utmost priority.

I would like to bring to your notice that I feel cheated out of a 5 star review, I was hoping you could clear that situation up.

Having expectation with regard to the quality of work is one thing, but having an expectation with regard to the delivery time is unrealistic. I charge 10$ extra for faster delivery, they didn’t purchase that option.

The buyer mentioned how he hoped for a faster delivery looking at my reviews, none of my recent reviews mentioned anything about faster delivery, they all rated me for the quality of the final delivery and my behavior with them.

Thank you for the support.

Regards.

I may have been a bit tilted considering that they were more bothered that the buyer felt insulted.

Reduced the buyer rating to 4 stars, of course that does nothing, since buyer reviews are never visible.

Buyer reviews are always visible… on the gig orders that they are reviewing. Your response to any buyer review is also always visible… on the gig that was reviewed.

Buyer reviews are always visible… on the gig orders that they are reviewing. Your response to any buyer review is also always visible… on the gig that was reviewed.

Unfortunately that is as good as invisible. I can’t google his reviews, I can’t go to each and every gig and look for them either.

How can I know about a buyers expectations when I can’t even see his previous reviews?

You have dwelt on this 12 hours so far. It’s 4 stars which is considered good.

Here is the review:

Was done to specification, but I was hoping for faster results based on previous comments as it was a small file. I actually typed it myself before receiving the results.

It’s not a bad review.
Please let it go!

You have dwelt on this 12 hours so far. It’s 4 stars which is considered good.

Here is the review:

Was done to specification, but I was hoping for faster results based on previous comments as it was a small file. I actually typed it myself before receiving the results.

It’s not a bad review.

Please let it go!

Actually it isn’t just a 4 star review, it’s the platform that I have chosen to dedicate my time too, this is why it’s important to me.

As I said, I am trying.

Actually it isn’t just a 4 star review, it’s the platform that I have chosen to dedicate my time too, this is why it’s important to me.

As I said, I am trying.

Still, time to let it go. You are really over reacting. You still have a 5 overall rating.

What a d*ck that guy is.
You can always message Fiverr support and tell them that the order was delivered in a timely manner and his review is not very fair.

But yeah you will always get customers like that. Just rate him back and don’t work with them anymore.

Unfortunately that is as good as invisible. I can’t google his reviews, I can’t go to each and every gig and look for them either.

How can I know about a buyers expectations when I can’t even see his previous reviews?

Right, this is turning ugly. Bite your lip, if need by write to the buyer that you are sorry that he felt insulted, if this gets any uglier especially with support.

The buyer used the magic victim card, which is a joker card and beats any other card in the deck.

I stand corrected, he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

Take note of the guy, politely reject his next orders saying you are busy.

Archived