Are videos really necessary for gigs?

oda_dellagi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They’re not necessary but they can help.

Maybe you can explain things on your video that you can’t explain on your gig description. Maybe you can use it to show portfolio samples or your workspace or how you work. Or your gig video can be a commercial for your gig.

I don’t do gig videos for all my gigs. If a gig is brand new, I won’t bother with the video.

P.S. You don’t have to be on camera, and you can hire someone else to read whatever copy you give them.

Guys can you please take a look at my videos and tell me what you think? Id appreciate it!! ❤️

First of all, I’m glad to see your found the courage to make the video 🙂

I’m sure it will help you get at least few more clicks. Whether you sell your service or not is a different matter, but videos will definitely get you more clicks from visitors.

Although I would recommend investing in hardware to record your videos (microphone and HD webcam). It would become in handy with your video chat gig that you’re offering.

There are plenty of posts here explaining what you need to record a decent quality video 😉

you can hire someone else to read whatever copy you give them.

Since I’m also a buyer, I wouldn’t recommend using voiceover. I’m sure I’m not the only buyer who checks out videos to identify if the writer is a native speaker or not. Using a voiceover would throw an unnecessary shade on your writing gig. If you don’t wish to be in the video then that’s fine, but if possible, try to use your own voice.

Guys can you please take a look at my videos and tell me what you think? Id appreciate it!! ❤️

First of all, I’m glad to see your found the courage to make the video 🙂

I’m sure it will help you get at least few more clicks. Whether you sell your service or not is a different matter, but videos will definitely get you more clicks from visitors.

Although I would recommend investing in hardware to record your videos (microphone and HD webcam). It would become in handy with your video chat gig that you’re offering.

There are plenty of posts here explaining what you need to record a decent quality video 😉

you can hire someone else to read whatever copy you give them.

Since I’m also a buyer, I wouldn’t recommend using voiceover. I’m sure I’m not the only buyer who checks out videos to identify if the writer is a native speaker or not. Using a voiceover would throw an unnecessary shade on your writing gig. If you don’t wish to be in the video then that’s fine, but if possible, try to use your own voice.

“I’m sure I’m not the only buyer who checks out videos to identify if the writer is a native speaker or not.”

How do you do that? Most sellers on Fiverr don’t use their real names. Besides, writers are judged for their writing, their grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. Judging people for an accent is ludicrous, there are Americans who speak perfect English but can’t write anything worth reading.

I think that depends on your gigs’ content.

Many buyers can not visualize what they get, what will come out through that gig. This happened to me many times. Seller explains, “I will do those things to your photograph and it will become something” (for example), but buyer can’t understand what it will be exactly. I think videos create a possibility that what the gig exactly is and increase the chance of sale.

“I’m sure I’m not the only buyer who checks out videos to identify if the writer is a native speaker or not.”

How do you do that? Most sellers on Fiverr don’t use their real names. Besides, writers are judged for their writing, their grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. Judging people for an accent is ludicrous, there are Americans who speak perfect English but can’t write anything worth reading.

Judging people for an accent is ludicrous, there are Americans who speak perfect English but can’t write anything worth reading.

And there are hundreds of writers who steal gig descriptions or hire someone to write it for them. Just like you recommended ordering voiceover, scammers are ordering gig descriptions and reviews. It’s not about accent, it’s about getting additional proof that the person who wrote the description is actually the one who’s providing the service.

We all have our own filtering systems. Having a video isn’t ultimate proof either, but it definitely filters out some scammers. You’re free to use your own filtering guidelines when you hire sellers.

Judging people for an accent is ludicrous, there are Americans who speak perfect English but can’t write anything worth reading.

And there are hundreds of writers who steal gig descriptions or hire someone to write it for them. Just like you recommended ordering voiceover, scammers are ordering gig descriptions and reviews. It’s not about accent, it’s about getting additional proof that the person who wrote the description is actually the one who’s providing the service.

We all have our own filtering systems. Having a video isn’t ultimate proof either, but it definitely filters out some scammers. You’re free to use your own filtering guidelines when you hire sellers.

Fiverr lets buyers solicit a refund for any reason. Forget the TOS, if a buyer clicks “resolve now” he’s going to get a refund. If the seller refuses, CS will give him a refund.

So where’s the risk? A seller can copy a description, he can’t copy someone else’s abilities.

I don’t encourage copying. If you can’t write, you can’t give anything to a voice over artist, so you won’t have a quality gig video.

I also realize that some people are introverted and don’t like appearing on camera, others might be embarrassed by their accent. Suffice to say, not everyone is a Jordan Belfort that sounds amazing on camera.

Nobody criticizes J. K. Rollings for hiding her gender with that name. A lot of female authors use initials because they don’t want sexism to stop people from buying their books.

Fiverr lets buyers solicit a refund for any reason. Forget the TOS, if a buyer clicks “resolve now” he’s going to get a refund. If the seller refuses, CS will give him a refund.

So where’s the risk? A seller can copy a description, he can’t copy someone else’s abilities.

I don’t encourage copying. If you can’t write, you can’t give anything to a voice over artist, so you won’t have a quality gig video.

I also realize that some people are introverted and don’t like appearing on camera, others might be embarrassed by their accent. Suffice to say, not everyone is a Jordan Belfort that sounds amazing on camera.

Nobody criticizes J. K. Rollings for hiding her gender with that name. A lot of female authors use initials because they don’t want sexism to stop people from buying their books.

So where’s the risk?

Last time I lost 5 days, which cost me the client I was working for.

Let’s rewind:

• OP made a video and asked for feedback
  • You mentioned that if she’s shy, then she can hire someone for voiceover
  • I gave her thumbs up for finding the courage to make the video and recommended investing in better hardware
  • I also recommended that if she can do her own videos then it will have a more positive effect

And now we’ve reached the point where you’re talking about accents, J. K. Rowling and sexism 😕

I think OP has received enough feedback to move forward, so I guess we can move on as well.

I think it depends on what gig you are doing but for my category, not really

I’ve seen no change when it came to repeat customers (they kept ordering gigs that didn’t have a video) but I think it is good in order to establish a connection between new clients and readers. They put a face to a name, they get a feeling about us so I definitely reckon it is adviced. I spent the entire day scripting and recording so I have updated videos for every service I offer.

Archived