English for Native English Speakers

wuerz123

If Leonor is an individual then the correct English is requests.
If Leonor is a company/organization then both are used frequently enough to be acceptable.

Companies used to be a “they” but in recent years corporations have moved to make themselves have the same rights as individuals as well as an overall personalization, which I believe referring to a company in the singular is intended to portray. Those of a certain age and in areas where corporations are not so powerful (I think only Mars at this stage) would still use the collective term to describe themselves/the company.

I think I - an “African American”, by the way - just broke out in hives, reading all this incorrect English. I’m such a stickler for correct grammar, punctuation, etc., that I actually edit emails I receive before responding and I ALWAYS correct scripts for my VO gigs, as I’d die if I had to read them strictly as written.

All this to say that I totally sympathize with the OP - my skin actually crawled upon reading what they wanted - but I also agree that one should deliver as requested and let them be corrected by the “world at-large”. Even if that’s all they’re used to, I imagine SOMEone with a proper education will notice and let them know.

There is no precise or universally accepted definition of the terms “ethnic group” or “nationality”. In the context of European ethnography in particular, the terms ethnic group, people (without nation state), nationality, national minority, ethnic minority, linguistic community, linguistic group, linguistic minority and genetic haplogroup are used as mostly synonymous,

en.wikipedia.org
460px-Simplified_Languages_of_Europe_map.svg.png

Ethnic groups in Europe

The Indigenous peoples of Europe are the focus of European ethnology, the field of anthropology related to the various indigenous groups that reside in the nations of Europe. According to German monograph Minderheitenrechte in Europa co-edited by Pan and Pfeil (2002) there are 87 distinct peoples of Europe, of which 33 form the majority population in at least one sovereign state, while the remaining 54 constitute ethnic minorities. The total number of national or linguistic minority populations i...

I think I - an “African American”, by the way - just broke out in hives, reading all this incorrect English. I’m such a stickler for correct grammar, punctuation, etc., that I actually edit emails I receive before responding and I ALWAYS correct scripts for my VO gigs, as I’d die if I had to read them strictly as written.

All this to say that I totally sympathize with the OP - my skin actually crawled upon reading what they wanted - but I also agree that one should deliver as requested and let them be corrected by the “world at-large”. Even if that’s all they’re used to, I imagine SOMEone with a proper education will notice and let them know.

This is a tough subject. When I was taking a course in the History of the English language, there was some discussion among students about “bad English.” Our instructor encouraged us to adopt the the use of terms like “standard English” and “non-standard English” instead of bad or wrong. She said that public school teachers were being taught to think that way as well. This would apply to other languages and varied English speakers from different places too, since it is true that we are all part of one or more ethnic groups. Many Americans are part of several.

In writing, my teacher’s stance was that a student needed to try to learn to write in Standard American English, Standard British English, etc. dependent on where they were taking classes. They should not be told that it was bad to speak Non-Standard English at home, no matter where they lived or what ethnic group they belonged in.

I’ve tried to keep that in mind and it works overall, but it’s not an easy issue.

I thank you for that answer.

I believe is not just an “African American” question, it’s, in general, a problem of some generations. Particularly since the mass utilization of SMS, Twitter, chats and other tools alike.

People just learned to write as they talk, independently of grammar rules, bringing a real “confusion” or in some cases a real ignorance of the proper spelling of some words…

As their designer, I believe I must inform them of the mistake, and it gives me a bad feeling that at the end they didn’t recognize it and I’ve decided to deliver two different works: one written correctly and one written as they wished.

Some people could say: just shut up deliver what they want and take the money, if that looks silly is their problem But it’s also my work who will be displayed online and in invitation cards with that mistake.

The feeling is anyway that I didn’t do the correct thing.

I’ll just let anyone who reads this put you in check.

I’ll just let anyone who reads this put you in check.

Thank you for letting anyone who reads this “put me in check”, in other words put me in my place. That’s really nice. I mistakenly thought that was a rude remark and flagged it, but since it was ok to leave on the forum and not removed then I was wrong. I’m a native English speaker too so I should have known that this is polite. My bad. Thank you fonthaunt for the education that this is considered not rude.

Archived