I am being wrongly accused of plagiarizing by buyer

tolu17

A buyer bought my gig about a week ago asking me to write 7000 word comments on some blog posts, he asked me to visit his site, register and comment on the tasks listed on it and to complete it in 7 days. I accepted it.

At first I wanted to communicate with him so that I would carryout his order perfectly but he told me not to ask everything and that I should use my senses.

Two days and some hours to the deadline he wanted to cancel the order saying he didn’t think I’d be able to meet up with the deadline. I assured him I would have his work delivered before deadline.

After I completed the order, I notified him I had completed his order then he asked me to convert all my comments (about 237) into a word file which he never stated before. I did and submitted it to him. It was about 8000+ long instead of 7000.

After receiving it, he accused me of not posting all the comments on the site. I assured him I did, in fact I copied every comment I posted from the site in order to convert it to a document. Which I’m sure he knew.

Now he is accusing me of copying the comments from other sites which I did not do. He showed photos from a poorly rated online plagiarism checker which stated about all my posted comments and replies to other comments was possibly plagiarized but made no guarantee about it.

I used 2 different highly rated checker to check it myself and the possibility of plagiarism came back negative. I screenshot the proofs and sent it to him, he rejected them saying he wanted his money back or I should do the work over again (he is paying 20$). I told him I couldn’t cause I was being wrongly accused for copying something I worked really hard on and even had sleepless nights in order to finish before deadline.

I used the plagiarism checker he used. I copied some of the discussion I had with his and pasted it on the site and checked for plagiarism and guess what? It came out positive saying there was a possibility I copied from about ten different sites. I sent him the photos asking him if he thought I plagiarized the discussion too but he said he won’t answer that. He said he was going to contact the customer support.

I had already contacted the customer support way before that point and I hope they will prove my innocence and give me my deserved payments.

This is my second order. The first buyer really appreciated my work and left me a five star review saying he’ll come back with more orders for me and even recommend me.

Why would I stoop low to plagiarism then?

Good to see you are standing your ground.

You have completed the order and work, so you should get paid for it.

Maybe the buyer here is trying to take you for a ride by cheating you out of your hard work.

I wish you all the best! 👍

Thank you very much.

I know I am innocent so I’ll go any length to prove it. I even compromised my studies in order to write original comments and post them before deadline. It’s so unfair.

I’m sorry to see this is happening to you, as a writer myself I would be extremely upset if a client said I was plagiarizing. Writing is hard on this site because buyers jump into our gigs as skeptics… I honestly feel you should unfortunately cancel this order as a new seller, but then again it might drop your rate down to make you unavailable for buyer requests… I hope you get your studies done!
However, I wanted to check something. Did you do 7000+ words for $20?!

Edit: The reason I asked is because when I first started, I found that the more work they wanted for a cheaper price, the meaner they were. I would consider raising your prices. Only because when the prices are so low, many people will be more skeptic of why you are willing to work so much for so little. I don’t know how to explain it, but when I raised my prices and put my foot down. I received MORE sales and nicer clients. You shouldn’t skip your studies for $20, just by your conversation in the forum I can see you have the ability and skill to be paid more. 💛

I’m sorry to see this is happening to you, as a writer myself I would be extremely upset if a client said I was plagiarizing. Writing is hard on this site because buyers jump into our gigs as skeptics… I honestly feel you should unfortunately cancel this order as a new seller, but then again it might drop your rate down to make you unavailable for buyer requests… I hope you get your studies done!

However, I wanted to check something. Did you do 7000+ words for $20?!

Edit: The reason I asked is because when I first started, I found that the more work they wanted for a cheaper price, the meaner they were. I would consider raising your prices. Only because when the prices are so low, many people will be more skeptic of why you are willing to work so much for so little. I don’t know how to explain it, but when I raised my prices and put my foot down. I received MORE sales and nicer clients. You shouldn’t skip your studies for $20, just by your conversation in the forum I can see you have the ability and skill to be paid more. 💛

Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Yes, I did agree to do the job for just 20$ and I see my error now.

I can’t cancel it cause I’ve already contacted the support. I’ll just have to wait and see what they’ll decide.

The buyer actually contacted me a while ago saying I should agree to a half payment for my work and that he’ll give me a five star review if I accept I copied. I told him I wouldn’t do that. I told him I’ll rather lose all the money than lose my dignity. Not everything is fair in life but I’ll never agree to what I never did just for a high rating.

The funny thing is that, I copied the choices he gave me and pasted it on the ‘plagiarism checker’ and guess what? It came back positive for possible plagiarism. I sent him the photo too but he still remained behind his accusations.

I think he knows in actual fact that I didn’t plagiarize but he’s trying to take advantage of me.

I can’t cancel it cause I’ve already contacted the support. I’ll just have to wait and see what they’ll decide.

The buyer actually contacted me a while ago saying I should agree to a half payment for my work and that he’ll give me a five star review if I accept I copied. I told him I wouldn’t do that. I told him I’ll rather lose all the money than lose my dignity. Not everything is fair in life but I’ll never agree to what I never did just for a high rating.

The funny thing is that, I copied the choices he gave me and pasted it on the ‘plagiarism checker’ and guess what? It came back positive for possible plagiarism. I sent him the photo too but he still remained behind his accusations.

I think he knows in actual fact that I didn’t plagiarize but he’s trying to take advantage of me.

saying I should agree to a half payment for my work and that he’ll give me a five star review if I accept I copied. I

That is a warning sign of someone who was possibly out for scamming. If it was indeed plagiarized, why would he offer to give you half? He could be trying to lure you into admittance then report you.

As a buyer who is a writer/blogger, when I see someone offering such low price, I typically stay away thinking poor quality. As a new seller, offering low is good but too low is not.

You did approximately 26 to 35 pages for $20. That’s too much, stick to your gig price of 1000 for $10. Going up to 1500 or maybe 2000 for $10, I can see value in that. Doing 4000 for $10 - they saw you as a easy target.

I say see what CS says, since you already contacted them. Keeps us posted. I like to see the good guys and gals triumph. 😊

saying I should agree to a half payment for my work and that he’ll give me a five star review if I accept I copied. I

That is a warning sign of someone who was possibly out for scamming. If it was indeed plagiarized, why would he offer to give you half? He could be trying to lure you into admittance then report you.

As a buyer who is a writer/blogger, when I see someone offering such low price, I typically stay away thinking poor quality. As a new seller, offering low is good but too low is not.

You did approximately 26 to 35 pages for $20. That’s too much, stick to your gig price of 1000 for $10. Going up to 1500 or maybe 2000 for $10, I can see value in that. Doing 4000 for $10 - they saw you as a easy target.

I say see what CS says, since you already contacted them. Keeps us posted. I like to see the good guys and gals triumph. 😊

Thanks a lot @gina_riley2. I’ll definitely stick to my innocence irrespective of the outcome cause I am 100% innocent.

I told him if I should be found guilty when in actual fact I’m not. I’ll go ahead to delete every single comment and replies I posted and he can keep all his money. He tried to make me feel bad by say stuffs like ‘you just wasted your time’, ‘I hope you learn your lesson’, ‘I’ll give you a bad review’, ‘I’ll make sure you don’t win’ .and so on.

I told him I don’t care if I get a bad review. Though this is my second order on fiverr, I have written for lots of people. I told him told him I actually didn’t waste my time but I did llearn a lesson that they are some people out there who will take you and your hard work for granted.

Thanks a lot @gina_riley2. I’ll definitely stick to my innocence irrespective of the outcome cause I am 100% innocent.

I told him if I should be found guilty when in actual fact I’m not. I’ll go ahead to delete every single comment and replies I posted and he can keep all his money. He tried to make me feel bad by say stuffs like ‘you just wasted your time’, ‘I hope you learn your lesson’, ‘I’ll give you a bad review’, ‘I’ll make sure you don’t win’ .and so on.

I told him I don’t care if I get a bad review. Though this is my second order on fiverr, I have written for lots of people. I told him told him I actually didn’t waste my time but I did llearn a lesson that they are some people out there who will take you and your hard work for granted.

Hey, I would advise you to remove the words “if you aren’t happy with my work feel free to deduct from my pay” on your About Me profile on the site. It will invite people to take advantage of you!.

Good Luck. Mike

Hey, I would advise you to remove the words “if you aren’t happy with my work feel free to deduct from my pay” on your About Me profile on the site. It will invite people to take advantage of you!.

Good Luck. Mike

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your advise and I have taken heed to it. Thanks a lot for your support!

The issue has been resolved but unfortunately, I didn’t get the payment cause CS said they unfortunately couldn’t force a buyer to accept an order. They cancelled the order from their end.

The buyer who actually sent a private message to me from the start decided to gloat and send me an ‘I told you I was going to win’ message in my private inbox then asking me to congratulate him on his victory. He said he was going to leave me a one star rating.

I knew he was trying to make me angry and sad but unfortunately for him, I’ve had worse encounters with scammerrs before so I know how to handle them verbally. He then changed his accusations from plagiarism to low quality work, we all know what it means when someone starts contradicting himself.

The fact is that I did the job well but he never had the intention of paying and that’s why he threw a lot of accusations from the beginning. It’s people like him who give fiverr a bad name. I warned CS about him after the cancellation of the order so that he won’t cheat other newbies since he claimed he ‘liked giving new sellers opportunities’ and Cs decided to forward the issue to Trust and safety.

I really hope they stop people like this who are only on this platform to cheat and give them a bad name. This is just a bad experience but at least I’ve learned from it. I’ll keep doing what I love doing best and that is writing, hopefully he’s going to be the only scammer I’m going to come across on this platform.

• 2 months later...

The issue has been resolved but unfortunately, I didn’t get the payment cause CS said they unfortunately couldn’t force a buyer to accept an order. They cancelled the order from their end.

The buyer who actually sent a private message to me from the start decided to gloat and send me an ‘I told you I was going to win’ message in my private inbox then asking me to congratulate him on his victory. He said he was going to leave me a one star rating.

I knew he was trying to make me angry and sad but unfortunately for him, I’ve had worse encounters with scammerrs before so I know how to handle them verbally. He then changed his accusations from plagiarism to low quality work, we all know what it means when someone starts contradicting himself.

The fact is that I did the job well but he never had the intention of paying and that’s why he threw a lot of accusations from the beginning. It’s people like him who give fiverr a bad name. I warned CS about him after the cancellation of the order so that he won’t cheat other newbies since he claimed he ‘liked giving new sellers opportunities’ and Cs decided to forward the issue to Trust and safety.

I really hope they stop people like this who are only on this platform to cheat and give them a bad name. This is just a bad experience but at least I’ve learned from it. I’ll keep doing what I love doing best and that is writing, hopefully he’s going to be the only scammer I’m going to come across on this platform.

You still have the “feel free to deduct from my pay of it is not up to standard” on your gig. First this encourages people to take advantage, and secondly is not possible. People either pay the fee or they don’t. There are no deductions that can m=be made after an offer is accepted.

Mike

I did agree to do the job for just 20$ and I see my error now.

As a new sellers, you have to start cheap. But don’t do a work of 60-70$ for 20$.

• 3 years later...

Also happened on me. Can we do something as a seller for Fiverr to protect seller more? As a middle man charge 20% commission they should be able to pay seller just like some other big e-commerce.

I’m sorry that happened to you.

However, Fiverr is not a ‘middleman’. Fiverr is also not our employer, it’s not Fiverr that pays us. Fiverr is a holder for escrow and a hosting platform for freelancers. Think of it like a convention center or a farmers market or even a mall. Fiverr gives us a place to set up shop, but you and I just run stalls and booths. The 20% is just the ‘rent’ to set up shop and provide a little bit of security and very general advertising.

I’m sorry that happened to you.

However, Fiverr is not a ‘middleman’. Fiverr is also not our employer, it’s not Fiverr that pays us. Fiverr is a holder for escrow and a hosting platform for freelancers. Think of it like a convention center or a farmers market or even a mall. Fiverr gives us a place to set up shop, but you and I just run stalls and booths. The 20% is just the ‘rent’ to set up shop and provide a little bit of security and very general advertising.

Hey I know it is a platform. However it should not sided with only buyer, right?

It is CS who cancelled the order which only read buyer’s excuse.

Archived