German, Japanese, Chinese, French, Moroccan, Italian, Canadian but no English or Irish Cuisine

gina_riley2

@wuerz123

I don't know what type of owl it is, but here's a photo I took of one, if you can spot it :D

And there are also lots of tiny furry bats here, flying like crazy or sleeping on the house!

Hey! That’s nice of you 🙂

The Owl is an Asio family member for sure. Here in Germany/Austria is called Waldohreule, Asio Otus. Their normal voice is a twice monotone “uhhh uhhhh” repeated two or three times.

That Bat is a Myotis, long ears who live in the forest, I would say a Myotis Myotis (Großes Langohr) but I need to see his belly to be sure and record his voice to check the ultrasound to be sure 🙂

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! That’s nice of you 🙂

The Owl is an Asio family member for sure. Here in Germany/Austria is called Waldohreule, Asio Otus. Their normal voice is a twice monotone “uhhh uhhhh” repeated two or three times.

That Bat is a Myotis, long ears who live in the forest, I would say a Myotis Myotis (Großes Langohr) but I need to see his belly to be sure and record his voice to check the ultrasound to be sure 🙂

OMG! That is amazing! I just googled those species names and it’s just like you said!

You’ve just become my go-to encyclopedia! 😍

OMG! That is amazing! I just googled those species names and it’s just like you said!

You’ve just become my go-to encyclopedia! 😍 That’s my job

The bat is more difficult to specify the real species, one has to take it in the hand and look at the belly+wings to see the differences. Even the ultrasound is not 100% accurate, one has to check the spectrogram to be sure. It is for sure a Myotis member, because of the ears, but there are many species and vary also depending on the location where they live.

All bats have a place where they sleep in the winter, did you check if there is no colony in your house? That would be really interesting to know 🙂

😊 That’s my job

The bat is more difficult to specify the real species, one has to take it in the hand and look at the belly+wings to see the differences. Even the ultrasound is not 100% accurate, one has to check the spectrogram to be sure. It is for sure a Myotis member, because of the ears, but there are many species and vary also depending on the location where they live.

All bats have a place where they sleep in the winter, did you check if there is no colony in your house? That would be really interesting to know 🙂

I’m so fascinated by how you write about all this! 😍

No, there’s no colony in the house… WAIT! the attic - I haven’t checked it! But I’ve heard no noises from there. However, the outdoor kitchen annex has a roof, under which there’s so much mouse-like noise! Maybe it’s because of all the mice lurking around, although I don’t see how they’d get all the way up there… :thinking:

I’m so fascinated by how you write about all this! 😍

No, there’s no colony in the house… WAIT! the attic - I haven’t checked it! But I’ve heard no noises from there. However, the outdoor kitchen annex has a roof, under which there’s so much mouse-like noise! Maybe it’s because of all the mice lurking around, although I don’t see how they’d get all the way up there… :thinking:

My best guess for the bat would be a Myotis Myotis or a Myotis Brandtii without seeing his belly.

I can be almost sure it’s not any bechsteinii or alcathoe or emarginatus

They don’t make so much noises if they’re alone, but in a colony, you will hear something during the day, even when they sleep.

Guest offlinehelpers

Irish food - just coddle

I suppose I should mention potatoes too before someone else does and I have to flag it for being offensive…

I’m waiting for @offlinehelpers to show us some haggis - one of the nicest tasting foods I have had until they tell you what it is.

Even better - haggis from the chippy - battered and deep fried!

Insects?!

🙂

In my locality (Midwest), fried and salted is popular. Even frying things that are already fried. And slimy mushrooms. Those seem to be popular too. I actually don’t like a lot of salt. Oh, and meat is also popular. Preferably with something containing butter, oil, or cheese (or all three).

And by salted, I mean people seem to think it’s normal to use a shaker full of salt on a pint of fried rice (the Americanized version).

My particular locality doesn’t go much for multicultural foods. I still can’t explain to someone I know that the restaurant with the Chinese food that they didn’t like… was Korean food.

I do like the fried ravioli, though.

I’m not that much fond to eating,but here is what I always willing to eat.Seekh kebab…😋

😛 And yes, I know how some think they look like, but they’re one of the most popular meals here (including due to historical and political reasons)

Mici.thumb.jpg.1b80c50c5aa6d9ade1500060cd6abea7.jpg

Your Seekh Kebab looks similar to our “mici” (rough translation: tinies), but ours are smaller, thicker, fatter, darker, and must be eaten with mustard, or mustard soup! 😛 And yes, I know how some think they look like, but they’re one of the most popular meals here (including due to historical and political reasons)

Our looks more cute 😋

Our looks more cute 😋

Want cuteness? Here you go, the famous Romanian dish “sarmale” (there is no translation, and they are basically cabbage rolls filled with minced meat, always served with polenta. (the ones on the right are sarmale)

Romania-Sarmale.thumb.jpg.ec16d3cd6bdab56201744b2347c1a7fe.jpg

Some even take them to a whole new level:

jtdu.jpg.c885ba11e934f3cf85e1fcab8b755dc6.jpg

a whole new level:

OMG! 😍

And here you have the Romanian Bulz (also called the “polenta bear”, and yes I know polenta is Italian!), which is roasted polenta & cheese stuffed with bacon, eggs, sausage and sour cream:

bulz-eu-magazine-euma_ro.thumb.jpeg.2a6a396aef602f28498e44051b27d6eb.jpeg

2.thumb.JPG.2bf91b2398a49a6056a4bbd33f7f0538.JPG

It also comes as a sandwich for children lol:

1.thumb.JPG.16922ff7f0f4dc474c8d09ab93456714.JPG

And here you have the Romanian Bulz (also called the “polenta bear”, and yes I know polenta is Italian!), which is roasted polenta & cheese stuffed with bacon, eggs, sausage and sour cream:

It also comes as a sandwich for children lol:

“polenta bear”

Polenta is Italian 😡

Ps: same joke as Turkish vs. Greek

Archived