Why do you use a fake image?

miroslavglavic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, as a buyer it’s one of the very first things I look at.

And I wish I could tell every broken English person that their “MBA” from an Ivy League school screams fake too. Especially the one seller who’s MBA from Oxford he got in the United States. Dude, Oxford isn’t in the US.

That’s my two peeves. Fake image and Fake Education. Just be honest and I’ll buy from you. Simple as that, ya know?

Great topic. Would love it if some offenders actually said why they used them as part of the thread.

I agree, as a buyer it’s one of the very first things I look at.

And I wish I could tell every broken English person that their “MBA” from an Ivy League school screams fake too. Especially the one seller who’s MBA from Oxford he got in the United States. Dude, Oxford isn’t in the US.

That’s my two peeves. Fake image and Fake Education. Just be honest and I’ll buy from you. Simple as that, ya know?

Great topic. Would love it if some offenders actually said why they used them as part of the thread.

I am a bit more flexible with language. However when I see business cards gigs and they are using stock images or from google images.

Same for logo designs.

It makes me think…what else are you lying about.

I remember messaging someone who had in their profile they had a PhD. from John Hopkins University to tell him it was Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins and he became angry and insulting. He didn’t believe me. We went around for about ten minutes before he finally admitted he didn’t graduate from there. It’s just sad when they do that.
Most of the time it’s very obvious.

I remember messaging someone who had in their profile they had a PhD. from John Hopkins University to tell him it was Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins and he became angry and insulting. He didn’t believe me. We went around for about ten minutes before he finally admitted he didn’t graduate from there. It’s just sad when they do that.

Johns Hopkins? Really? Didn’t know. Odd name that.

So for fun I entered “businessman headshot photo” just because I have no idea where to start on finding the sources of the fake profile pictures. Except it actually worked, I found one of the pictures someone was faking. I mean at least skip to the second page, don’t make it that easy. 😂

Here comes Lucy with her offensive facts and empirical psychological analysis, but if you have seen, almost all of the people using fake images who come here complaining about no sales are middle eastern, most commonly Bangladesh and Pakistan. If you read from certain websites, many, including one I saw on the top pages of a google search, tells people not to post their real picture. They state that in order to be successful on Fiverr, you have to use the image of a “beautiful western woman”, and as a result, many of the images are of popular highly photoshopped light-skinned females. This is real stuff that they say on Facebook forums and popular websites.

It’s not only towards them though, many believe that if you want to be successful, you have to hide everything you are and put on a persona. One guy that was called out for using the photo of a popular actress actually changed his photo to that of a popular middle eastern male model (not any better).

The same people whining about lack of sales, even if they use real photos (almost never), I have seen copy and pasting text from more popular gigs, one stating that he was a “Level 2 seller” when he had like, 7 reviews and was only around for a couple weeks. One stole the entire description of a higher seller, including the links to the sellers account that remained unchanged.

You can also ask why they all seem to have the same skillset too! You have stolen business card images for those gigs, stolen logo images for those gigs, and god forbid the “Marketing Professionals” that come here asking for basic marketing advice.

TL:DR? They fake images and credentials because they think it will net them more sales. They are trying to game a system but are doing it the wrong way. At least they can make it more believable.

Mod Note (FontHaunt): This post was correctly flagged and has been unhidden to allow a clear-up regarding both the rules and the regional differences. If necessary, it will be edited or re-hidden.

Here comes Lucy with her offensive facts and empirical psychological analysis, but if you have seen, almost all of the people using fake images who come here complaining about no sales are middle eastern, most commonly Bangladesh and Pakistan. If you read from certain websites, many, including one I saw on the top pages of a google search, tells people not to post their real picture. They state that in order to be successful on Fiverr, you have to use the image of a “beautiful western woman”, and as a result, many of the images are of popular highly photoshopped light-skinned females. This is real stuff that they say on Facebook forums and popular websites.

It’s not only towards them though, many believe that if you want to be successful, you have to hide everything you are and put on a persona. One guy that was called out for using the photo of a popular actress actually changed his photo to that of a popular middle eastern male model (not any better).

The same people whining about lack of sales, even if they use real photos (almost never), I have seen copy and pasting text from more popular gigs, one stating that he was a “Level 2 seller” when he had like, 7 reviews and was only around for a couple weeks. One stole the entire description of a higher seller, including the links to the sellers account that remained unchanged.

You can also ask why they all seem to have the same skillset too! You have stolen business card images for those gigs, stolen logo images for those gigs, and god forbid the “Marketing Professionals” that come here asking for basic marketing advice.

TL:DR? They fake images and credentials because they think it will net them more sales. They are trying to game a system but are doing it the wrong way. At least they can make it more believable.

Mod Note (FontHaunt): This post was correctly flagged and has been unhidden to allow a clear-up regarding both the rules and the regional differences. If necessary, it will be edited or re-hidden.

Lucy with her offensive facts and empirical psychological analysis, but if you have seen, almost all of the people using fake images who come here complaining about no sales are middle eastern, most commonly Bangladesh and Pakistan.

It is against the forum rules to point out regions in a negative context, since you cannot lump entire groups of people into a “bad” or “good” category. However, I’ve put your flagged post back because for one thing, if you are going to state facts, they should be actual facts.

Note: “The Middle East is a loose term, not always used to describe the same territory. It usually includes the Arab countries from Egypt east to the Persian Gulf, plus Israel and Iran. Turkey is sometimes considered part of the Middle East, sometimes part of Europe. Sometimes the Middle East includes North Africa as well. Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh are usually described as South Asia.

image.png.91cd0bb74032ef2f9d54c92e7f5e534b.png

Now, please stick to the forum rules as well as the facts, and don’t lump people into groups for your own purposes.

Lucy with her offensive facts and empirical psychological analysis, but if you have seen, almost all of the people using fake images who come here complaining about no sales are middle eastern, most commonly Bangladesh and Pakistan.

It is against the forum rules to point out regions in a negative context, since you cannot lump entire groups of people into a “bad” or “good” category. However, I’ve put your flagged post back because for one thing, if you are going to state facts, they should be actual facts.

Note: “The Middle East is a loose term, not always used to describe the same territory. It usually includes the Arab countries from Egypt east to the Persian Gulf, plus Israel and Iran. Turkey is sometimes considered part of the Middle East, sometimes part of Europe. Sometimes the Middle East includes North Africa as well. Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh are usually described as South Asia.

Now, please stick to the forum rules as well as the facts, and don’t lump people into groups for your own purposes.

I never once said anything negative about the people from these regions, but you cannot deny that most of the people on this forum who say the things I mentioned ARE mostly from the middle east (or south Asia I guess). That is a fact. If that is negative then fix the problem of plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, and false credentials, don’t punish the messenger for your own purposes.

I see how you have yet to address the plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, false credentials, and fraud that this forum post is addressing.

I never once said anything negative about the people from these regions, but you cannot deny that most of the people on this forum who say the things I mentioned ARE mostly from the middle east (or south Asia I guess). That is a fact. If that is negative then fix the problem of plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, and false credentials, don’t punish the messenger for your own purposes.

I see how you have yet to address the plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, false credentials, and fraud that this forum post is addressing.

I can indeed deny that most of the people on the forum who plagiarize and violate copyright, etc. are from the Middle East OR South Asia. There are fakers from all over the world. Your statistics are based on your anecdotal observations, which does not make them facts. It is negative to state that people in a particular region are fakers, cheats and thieves, period. Since Fiverr itself it headquartered in the Middle East, perhaps you think that is the root of the problem? I don’t know.

It is up to the Fiverr editors and the sellers themselves to address these issues. I cannot address them on a global website with a massive number of gigs. I offer individuals advice on the forum almost every day, based on their individual questions and profiles, not based on their ethnic group or where they live. That is how I address it. I am not pushing any messengers for any of my own purposes, I am telling you how you broke the rules, how agendas can be twisted and stated as facts, and what won’t be tolerated. I’m not going to continue a debate with you on it here, but your post was offensive to me and IMO to a number of sellers that I respect here.

I can indeed deny that most of the people on the forum who plagiarize and violate copyright, etc. are from the Middle East OR South Asia. There are fakers from all over the world. Your statistics are based on your anecdotal observations, which does not make them facts. It is negative to state that people in a particular region are fakers, cheats and thieves, period. Since Fiverr itself it headquartered in the Middle East, perhaps you think that is the root of the problem? I don’t know.

It is up to the Fiverr editors and the sellers themselves to address these issues. I cannot address them on a global website with a massive number of gigs. I offer individuals advice on the forum almost every day, based on their individual questions and profiles, not based on their ethnic group or where they live. That is how I address it. I am not pushing any messengers for any of my own purposes, I am telling you how you broke the rules, how agendas can be twisted and stated as facts, and what won’t be tolerated. I’m not going to continue a debate with you on it here, but your post was offensive to me and IMO to a number of sellers that I respect here.

Again, I never said that “people in a particular region are fakers, cheats and thieves”, what I said was accurate of the last several dozen people I have seen on this forum who fit the criteria I gave in my original post.

Stop twisting my words, you know you’re doing it.

No, I don’t think I twisted your words. Regardless, since you do, ignore everything I said and I’ll just use your words.

you cannot deny that most of the people on this forum who say the things I mentioned ARE mostly from the middle east (or south Asia I guess). That is a fact. If that is negative then fix the problem of plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, and false credentials, don’t punish the messenger for your own purposes.

Please contact Fiverr HQ to ask them to address these things:

Fiverr International, Ltd.

12 HaOmanim Street

Tel Aviv, 6789731

Israel

972-3-631-7882

No, I don’t think I twisted your words. Regardless, since you do, ignore everything I said and I’ll just use your words.

you cannot deny that most of the people on this forum who say the things I mentioned ARE mostly from the middle east (or south Asia I guess). That is a fact. If that is negative then fix the problem of plagiarism, copyright infringement, trademark violations, and false credentials, don’t punish the messenger for your own purposes.

Please contact Fiverr HQ to ask them to address these things:

Fiverr International, Ltd.

12 HaOmanim Street

Tel Aviv, 6789731

Israel

972-3-631-7882

I have contacted them, they said they’d get back to me weeks ago.

I think they do a good job of addressing it lately.

About the massive amount of plagiarism, and copyright and trademark infringements that happen on Fiverr. I also informed several times of fraud and profile abuse (Making numerous accounts and selling them on Facebook) no reply other than their "We’ll tell the support team! 😃 "

About the massive amount of plagiarism, and copyright and trademark infringements that happen on Fiverr. I also informed several times of fraud and profile abuse (Making numerous accounts and selling them on Facebook) no reply other than their "We’ll tell the support team! 😃 "

Now we can’t edit our gigs or make a new one without it being reviewed so it looks like they took your complaint to heart and are making changes, along with the phone verification.

There are millions of users of this site so it’s not a small job.

Now we can’t edit our gigs or make a new one without it being reviewed so it looks like they took your complaint to heart and are making changes, along with the phone verification.

There are millions of users of this site so it’s not a small job.

The phone verification happened before I got on Fiverr, so I can’t take any credit for that 😂

There are certain legal ramifications if fiverr controls tightly what gets put on the site. While they do respond to large companies complaints of fraud or infringement, we are not employees of fiverr. That means fiverr necessarily has to have a hands off policy since we are all independent sellers. I won’t go into the legal details of this as it’s technical.

If fiverr begins to treat us as employees and assumes responsibility for what we all do, then they can be libel for any slip ups that get through their review process. At least that is US law.

We went around for about ten minutes before he finally admitted he didn’t graduate from there.

Lmfao that’s funny hahaha

I think they do a good job of addressing it lately.

I have to agree, @misscrystal. While there is still plenty of cleanup to do, I’ve seen more bad gigs go down in the past few months than I have in the rest of the time I’ve been here. To my understanding, Fiverr is aware that it is still a work in progress and they have more plans to do more. The recent removal of some of the gigs related to academic fraud was another good start, even though some of the sellers themselves probably have some things to offer. I’ve seen people with English degrees who’ve shifted more toward language lessons and tutoring. While some of the new changes aren’t as popular (like the new header) I think many of us would like to see other improvements continue.

There are certain legal ramifications if fiverr controls tightly what gets put on the site. While they do respond to large companies complaints of fraud or infringement, we are not employees of fiverr. That means fiverr necessarily has to have a hands off policy since we are all independent sellers. I won’t go into the legal details of this as it’s technical.

If fiverr begins to treat us as employees and assumes responsibility for what we all do, then they can be libel for any slip ups that get through their review process. At least that is US law.

I am not asking for anything strict, just not selling other people’s products as your own, or using Brittney Spears as a seller profile pic.

And preferably no more Fiverr sweat shops (Getting gigs and having others do it for you for a fraction of the price while you get most of the money) I didn’t know THAT was a thing until I found out that was a thing.

I am not asking for anything strict, just not selling other people’s products as your own, or using Brittney Spears as a seller profile pic.

And preferably no more Fiverr sweat shops (Getting gigs and having others do it for you for a fraction of the price while you get most of the money) I didn’t know THAT was a thing until I found out that was a thing.

As I tried to explain, fiverr is not responsible for this. They can’t assert control without being seen as responsible for every little thing every seller does.

No one is responsible aside from each individual seller. We are not employees.

Getting gigs and having others do it for you for a fraction of the price while you get most of the money

There is nothing illegal about reselling work. If you want to police this site have a good understanding of what is involved legally.

I’m against illegal stuff as much as you are, but I understand why it’s good to look at it one seller at a time. It’s just not practical any other way, so it will not be overnight.

As far as getting gigs and having others do it for you, it depends on what you mean. Both outsourcing and team seller accounts are acceptable on Fiverr. Some of the wealthiest sellers have one person running the account while others who make a percentage work under them, either online or offline. It’s smart business. When it comes to outsourcing, it’s one of the things that Fiverr was built on. Bigger companies can buy gigs and resell what they get. Everybody wins. Maybe that’s not what you were referring to, but it’s all I can think of.

Archived