It's so nice to have a Horrible Day Finally

cyaxrex

You can get a Netbook with a low power consumption and a good battery backup.

Look for any Netbook with an Intel Atom processor, they are meant for low power consumption and work perfectly for people who need it only for typing (writers, programmers), not suitable for digital artists and animators (Photoshop, Maya, etc) or gamers.

We don’t have power cuts here but my main computer is a gaming beast and sucks a lot of power. It didn’t make sense to fire up a big machine just to respond to “Hi, what is included in this gig?”, so I got a netbook. Battery life out-of-the-box is 12 hours, and one can add extra 24 hours through an external power bank.

200$ for the netbook and 30$ for the power bank, and you have yourself a freelance office with 3 business days worth of juice. No need for generators.

But you still need internet. Those little Atom processors are great. I had one I used for four years every day without trouble. I’ve got a 13 inch Alienware now. I love it.

But you still need internet. Those little Atom processors are great. I had one I used for four years every day without trouble. I’ve got a 13 inch Alienware now. I love it.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Is a wifi dongle a hotspot? Right now I’ve got two internet providers in case the main one goes out as it often does.

Yes, it’s a hotspot, and you can get a wireless 3G/4G subscription or insert your cell phone sim card in it.

Something like this :

Or you can simply use the hotspot feature on your phone to provide internet connectivity to the netbook via wifi or wired USB.

Yes, it’s a hotspot, and you can get a wireless 3G/4G subscription or insert your cell phone sim card in it.

Something like this :

Or you can simply use the hotspot feature on your phone to provide internet connectivity to the netbook via wifi or wired USB.

I use my hotspot more often for browsing anyway, so that’s not a problem for me. Which netbook do you use, and what is the charge time?

I use my hotspot more often for browsing anyway, so that’s not a problem for me. Which netbook do you use, and what is the charge time?

I got an Indian brand Netbook :

Battery charge time is 6 hours charging for 10+ hours use. The battery is 10,000 mAh. This one is the cheapest in the range of Intel Atoms. This may not be available in your country, there are always other brands like Asus but they are priced at a point where the USP of buying a ‘cheap laptop’ starts getting eroded. The reason I loved this is because if you were to assemble the laptop yourself using spare parts at their retail rate, the battery alone would cost 120$ and everything else would add up to 300$.

It’s good value for money.

OR, if you already have a tablet or smartphone, you can arrange something like this using USB hubs :

android-desktop.thumb.jpg.3b7a374529e6de490eb3d5266087dc24.jpg

I hope we get more power outages.

Trust me when I say you really don’t hope so. I live in a country where we have more power outages than the term ‘power outage’ does justice to. Enjoying 4 hours of power is a rare privillege. So, we all have power generating sets, spending almost as much on fuelling them as we do on paying the power bills and barely getting up to 6 hours of power per day. Believe me, it sucks! Hampers your business, stiffles your hours of relaxation, leaves you drenched in sweat during sleep hours, and if you’ve got the money to power your generators, you enjoy the wholesome noise. Arrgghh!

Besides, when you get used to power outages, the fun of it is sapped away. Completely. Sorry for the rant

Trust me when I say you really don’t hope so. I live in a country where we have more power outages than the term ‘power outage’ does justice to. Enjoying 4 hours of power is a rare privillege. So, we all have power generating sets, spending almost as much on fuelling them as we do on paying the power bills and barely getting up to 6 hours of power per day. Believe me, it sucks! Hampers your business, stiffles your hours of relaxation, leaves you drenched in sweat during sleep hours, and if you’ve got the money to power your generators, you enjoy the wholesome noise. Arrgghh!

Let me guess, you are living in Zimbabwe! Sounds exactly the same as my life!

Let me guess, you are living in Zimbabwe! Sounds exactly the same as my life!

Not exactly Zimbabwe. I’m in Nigeria…

Ahhh, I’ve always wanted to visit Lagos! African countries fascinate me… Perhaps one day you can show me around?

P.S. I used to watch the Nollywood (do they really call it that?) movies on ZBC… I absolutely LOVE the Nigerian accent. And the movies have so much power and emotions. Not like the rubbish from Hollywood. The culture fascinates me. I think a visit is in order very soon.

Ahhh, I’ve always wanted to visit Lagos! African countries fascinate me… Perhaps one day you can show me around?

P.S. I used to watch the Nollywood (do they really call it that?) movies on ZBC… I absolutely LOVE the Nigerian accent. And the movies have so much power and emotions. Not like the rubbish from Hollywood. The culture fascinates me. I think a visit is in order very soon.

Lagos is a very beautiful city in its own right. Abuja is a close rival, arguably even better. Actually, there are quite a number of wonderful cities in the country, and I say this at the risk of sounding like an ambassador. Lol.

Nollywood (yes, it’s called that!) is great. Funny enough, over here, most of us prefer the highly fictional‎ world of Hollywood to what is presented in Nollywood. There are many reasons for this though, and thankfully they’ve started producing cinema-worthy movies in recent years. The Nigerian accent is a great one. A little too heavy at times, but I prefer it to most African accents (no bias here).

Ultimately though, I really have a wish (and a plan) to exit the country soon enough. Not much for greener pastures, but for better living conditions. There are really cool places (for the high and mighty)‎, and really bad ones. I stay somewhere in the middle, but even that can be pathetic at times. If I’m still available when you arrive, I’ll be sure to show you as much I can. Maybe we can explore it together, cos it’s so big that we the inhabitants hardly have the time to reach all of its greatest places.

Lagos is a very beautiful city in its own right. Abuja is a close rival, arguably even better. Actually, there are quite a number of wonderful cities in the country, and I say this at the risk of sounding like an ambassador. Lol.

Nollywood (yes, it’s called that!) is great. Funny enough, over here, most of us prefer the highly fictional‎ world of Hollywood to what is presented in Nollywood. There are many reasons for this though, and thankfully they’ve started producing cinema-worthy movies in recent years. The Nigerian accent is a great one. A little too heavy at times, but I prefer it to most African accents (no bias here).

Ultimately though, I really have a wish (and a plan) to exit the country soon enough. Not much for greener pastures, but for better living conditions. There are really cool places (for the high and mighty)‎, and really bad ones. I stay somewhere in the middle, but even that can be pathetic at times. If I’m still available when you arrive, I’ll be sure to show you as much I can. Maybe we can explore it together, cos it’s so big that we the inhabitants hardly have the time to reach all of its greatest places.

You write so beautifully. 👍

Archived