The Secret to Making it Big on Fiverr!

keithhvoice

I’ve never been able to identify my market on Facebook. I suppose I could choose small business owners, but most of them don’t advertise nor need help with their advertising.

I like your idea about the post order survey. Maybe I could do that with the people who review me. The ones that don’t review me I’m not sure. I fear encouraging a review I don’t want.

Oh, I don’t mean a survey after your order delivery, I mean, use one of the automated questions (when a buyer places their order) to ask, “how did you find my gig”. Make it part of your order requirements. 😉

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is, people want what you’re selling. Almost no matter what it is - even if it’s making videos of you eating mayonnaise - and they’re searching for it. You can buy ads on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc., and it’s surely a way to get traffic, but the most effective marketing you can do that compels viewers to become buyers is to create content regarding the thing they want. Make videos, write blogs, create tutorials, anything that addresses their needs and the reason they would want your service. It’s genuinely difficult to get inside the head of your buyers when you’re accustomed to being the seller, but understanding and capturing the buyer’s perspective is what will close the deal every time. If you create something on the Internet and do it over and over again for weeks to months on end, you will establish the Internet presence you require to attract clients and build a revenue.

Don’t believe me? I’m #2 on Google for my key words:

Screenshot_2017_04_18_at_19_38_15

bb code img

You can buy ads on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc., and it’s surely a way to get traffic,

Maybe I am misunderstanding the TOS, but I’m quite sure it’s forbidden to use Google Ads to advertise?

Sellers may not promote their Gigs or any Fiverr content via the AdWords platform.

I’ve never felt in control of my sales. I can control the gig title, description, extras, delivery time, quality of the work, etc, but the sales either happen or don’t happen. To me it’s a crapshoot like advertising, you spent $5 a day on a Facebook ad and then you either get the clicks, likes, and shares, or you get nothing.

Sometimes buyers tell you why they order, which is helpful information. But most don’t tell you why they didn’t order, so I have no way of knowing.

One important secret I’ve learned is not to get angry with potential buyers. Whenever I can, I respond with a custom offer.

One question, do you turn on your live portfolio? Can it help you or harm you?

I absolutely turn on my live portfolio - and I highly recommend it. This is getting paid to build demos. It also shows potential clients what kind of work you are putting out.

You can buy ads on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc., and it’s surely a way to get traffic,

Maybe I am misunderstanding the TOS, but I’m quite sure it’s forbidden to use Google Ads to advertise?

Sellers may not promote their Gigs or any Fiverr content via the AdWords platform.

Huh… that’s news to me. I never saw that in the ToS before. I wonder why? I struggle to understand how it is that Fiverr doesn’t want its sellers to advertise their services and recruit buyers when Fiverr is getting 20% out of it. I stopped advertising on Google two years ago - all my advertising is now social (YouTube, blog, G+, and FB) - but I’m surely curious to know not only why this is in the ToS but also how exactly Fiverr is going to enforce it.

tumblr_inline_odrmv6x2PP1ttxx85_540.png.57e1c51cc4f9c17885cbf2b34bb47553.png

I hate it when you do that! You say something innocuous which draws me to reply and then suddenly there are 5 comments which are completely off-topic and that I am complicit in! STOP DOING THAT!

Let’s get back to topic 😃

You know I can craft 4 paragraphs like the best of them.

Huh… that’s news to me. I never saw that in the ToS before. I wonder why? I struggle to understand how it is that Fiverr doesn’t want its sellers to advertise their services and recruit buyers when Fiverr is getting 20% out of it. I stopped advertising on Google two years ago - all my advertising is now social (YouTube, blog, G+, and FB) - but I’m surely curious to know not only why this is in the ToS but also how exactly Fiverr is going to enforce it.

431554a4c32d428ee307113f0d94b63e03bcada7.png

I assume they’d look at the referrer URL to determine what webpage the visitor came from. If they came from a Google ad to a particular Fiver user’s page, maybe they’d assume that that Fiverr user paid for that ad (though that’s not necessarily the case). Maybe if there are lots of visitors from that ad, maybe Fiverr would ask that user if he paid for Google ads to advertise his/her Fiverr pages, and if so maybe he/she would get in trouble (eg. suspended). Or maybe gig/profile page(s) or whatever the ads were pointing to would be taken down temporarily? Though if people got in trouble for that, what’s to stop someone else maliciously adding ads for someone with the aim to get that person in trouble etc.?

431554a4c32d428ee307113f0d94b63e03bcada7.png

I’m assuming it’s the same idea as to changing Facebooks logo into a different color for your own personal purposes - against Facebook’s policy I believe…

Bit off-topic but I think self-discipline, sound personal/family financial planning and individual determination are the biggest secrets to success on Fiverr or freelancing anywhere.

For instance, in the past, I would sometimes struggle on a regular paycheck to make ends meet at the end of the month. When you freelance, however, you have to expect low periods and pesky things like currency price rises and falls. (Particularly on Fiverr for non-US citizens).

For the past three years, I’ve therefore got into the habit of paying all my rent six months in advance and this in itself helped me survive a crazy year last year. I also find that being disciplined to the point that on slow days, you actually do things to bolster your freelancing efforts even when you just want to marathon watch House of Cards is pretty essential.

Also, it’s important to know when something simply isn’t working. I’m an ace at creating ebooks but providing that service (for me) simply wasn’t profitable and led to too many headaches. In this case, I switched to and still experiment with different niches on a regular basis. In fact, I created 3 new gigs this year which have sold zilch but with which I also experimented with a different SEO strategy when writing their descriptions.

When I have time, I will, therefore go back and rewrite these descriptions according to my old strategy to see if that works. At the same time, I have Identified 2 sellers this week on the forum whom I plan to reach out to in order to see if they would like to collaborate. This too, though, will require a free day to look into.

Fiverr and freelancing, in general, is just like baking a souffle. It takes lots of trial and error and sometimes you’ll find yourself kicking the cooker irrationally when things don’t go as planned. - The trick is to stay calm and never ever run out of coffee or cigarette papers.

I’m assuming it’s the same idea as to changing Facebooks logo into a different color for your own personal purposes - against Facebook’s policy I believe…

Yeah, but PAYING for GOOGLE to run ADS to bring BUYERS to FIVERR where they’ll SPEND MONEY and Fiverr gets 20%? I seriously am not braining how Fiverr would specifically name AdWords in the ToS but not mention anything else. Like it’s a personal vendetta against Google or something? LoL

Yeah, but PAYING for GOOGLE to run ADS to bring BUYERS to FIVERR where they’ll SPEND MONEY and Fiverr gets 20%? I seriously am not braining how Fiverr would specifically name AdWords in the ToS but not mention anything else. Like it’s a personal vendetta against Google or something? LoL

You’re right however let’s say they allow for us to promote Fiverr.com on Google - it may “deviate” from their image somehow - again - referencing my previous Facebook example.

I remember seeing a TRS advertising himself on Google when I typed in “Fiverr” in Google (almost 2-3 years ago)

Don’t try and make sense of these things, James. You’ll age horribly and just end up spending your entire life scratching your head in confusion.

From what I can tell, Fiverr runs its own paid ad campaigns and if sellers are competing with Fiverr for those ads then the cost will go up. I think the other platforms have a similar policy.

From what I can tell, Fiverr runs its own paid ad campaigns and if sellers are competing with Fiverr for those ads then the cost will go up. I think the other platforms have a similar policy.

Yes - but that won’t happen when we’re advertising our personal profile rather than Fiverr.com or a category like this https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design?source=category_tree.

Why wouldn’t they, then, just leave it to the sellers to advertise the site? I think it has more to do with the fact that they don’t want to give any seller unfair advantage just because they can afford an AdWords ad. Or it may be that they intend to launch native ads on the site and don’t want the money to go elsewhere

I filed a ticket with customer support to ask if there were any reason why they singled out AdWords and nobody else, and this is the response I got:

Screenshot_2017_04_19_at_20_17_28.png.d7996140d24c3a2f4c4265edb76b6201.png

facebook photo upload

6faf54bfd03a77d9f7a864c2dd060f7c_25092d1401980369-randy-meme-weird_600-400.jpeg.4b5b8dfd916c54d7a988b26545deb5de.jpeg

I filed a ticket with customer support to ask if there were any reason why they singled out AdWords and nobody else, and this is the response I got:

Screenshot_2017_04_19_at_20_17_28

facebook photo upload

f18352c075c8d7022b2ce72e65e83ae9205b9333.jpeg

My previous 2 year experience with Google has shown me that their advertising is not quite perfect. Even after they helped me (and with over 200 exclusions or whatever they called them) I still ended up being advertised on biker and tattoo websites (this was for something relating to fine art, prior to my Fiverr activities) and paying high rates for it. I discontinued using AdWords.

Maybe Fiverr doesn’t want to be associated with whatever else their Sellers put into their AdWords accounts. 🙂 Or maybe one of their third-party providers interacts with AdWords in some way that will get messed up if people do.

It would be nice if they would sort of explain so that Sellers don’t inadvertently do something else that causes a problem.

Yeah… I was working on a website for a customer and wanted to check what their policy was regarding the use of their logo - was horrified to discover that they literally only offer 1 copy of the logo for use on websites…

Then I went over to a few other “big” websites to take a look at what they were doing. Turns out even big companies like HP disregard Facebook’s policy. After that, I made up my mind - I would rather customize the logo to suite my site, than customize the site to suite facebook’s logo!

In a round about way they do seem to imply that as long as it doesn’t confuse people, it’s ok.

Archived