What is meaning of Robert Frost 's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening?"

zeeshan_tirmizi

In case you haven’t read it, here it is.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Is this a conversation wish truly, or do you want us to do your assignment? 😉

Reading it, it reminds me a lot of, and I think it could perfectly be sung to, Loreena McKennit´s Lady of Shalott.
It reminds me of Andersen’s fairytale ‘The Snow Queen’ too, I get the feeling of wanting to succumb to the allure of the snow and the cold and…but I can´t, I have made promises that I must keep, I have duties that I must fulfill, no matter how far still the way and how tired I am.
It reminds me of a lot of things, the more, the longer I look at it.

I´m not Robert Frost, though.

Is this a conversation wish truly, or do you want us to do your assignment? 😉

Reading it, it reminds me a lot of, and I think it could perfectly be sung to, Loreena McKennit´s Lady of Shalott.

It reminds me of Andersen’s fairytale ‘The Snow Queen’ too, I get the feeling of wanting to succumb to the allure of the snow and the cold and…but I can´t, I have made promises that I must keep, I have duties that I must fulfill, no matter how far still the way and how tired I am.

It reminds me of a lot of things, the more, the longer I look at it.

I´m not Robert Frost, though.

No not an assignment. I donno why I’m feeling very curious today.

It reminds me of the time I was contracted to take out a man called Jimmy in the Alaskan wilderness over an unpaid Irish Butter debt.

Jimmy too lived in isolation in the wilderness and had no idea I was coming. In the end, I felt sorry for him sitting alone unsuspectingly in his hideaway polishing his fingernails, not knowing how close he was to the end. Sadly, I too had a promise to keep and Jimmy had to go with only the quiet woods to mourn his passing.

Maybe the moral of this poem is simply not to get on the wrong side of the Kerry Gold Irish Butter Mafia?

Summary
On the surface, this poem is simplicity itself. The speaker is stopping by some woods on a snowy evening. He or she takes in the lovely scene in near-silence, is tempted to stay longer, but acknowledges the pull of obligations and the considerable distance yet to be traveled before he or she can rest for the night.

Form
The poem consists of four (almost) identically constructed stanzas. Each line is iambic, with four stressed syllables:

Within the four lines of each stanza, the first, second, and fourth lines rhyme. The third line does not, but it sets up the rhymes for the next stanza. For example, in the third stanza, queer, near, and year all rhyme, but lake rhymes with shake, mistake, and flake in the following stanza.

The notable exception to this pattern comes in the final stanza, where the third line rhymes with the previous two and is repeated as the fourth line.

Do not be fooled by the simple words and the easiness of the rhymes; this is a very difficult form to achieve in English without debilitating a poem’s content with forced rhymes.

Commentary
This is a poem to be marveled at and taken for granted. Like a big stone, like a body of water, like a strong economy, however it was forged it seems that, once made, it has always been there. Frost claimed that he wrote it in a single nighttime sitting; it just came to him. Perhaps one hot, sustained burst is the only way to cast such a complete object, in which form and content, shape and meaning, are alloyed inextricably. One is tempted to read it, nod quietly in recognition of its splendor and multivalent meaning, and just move on.

sources:

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/frost/section10.html3

Summary

On the surface, this poem is simplicity itself. The speaker is stopping by some woods on a snowy evening. He or she takes in the lovely scene in near-silence, is tempted to stay longer, but acknowledges the pull of obligations and the considerable distance yet to be traveled before he or she can rest for the night.

Form

The poem consists of four (almost) identically constructed stanzas. Each line is iambic, with four stressed syllables:

Within the four lines of each stanza, the first, second, and fourth lines rhyme. The third line does not, but it sets up the rhymes for the next stanza. For example, in the third stanza, queer, near, and year all rhyme, but lake rhymes with shake, mistake, and flake in the following stanza.

The notable exception to this pattern comes in the final stanza, where the third line rhymes with the previous two and is repeated as the fourth line.

Do not be fooled by the simple words and the easiness of the rhymes; this is a very difficult form to achieve in English without debilitating a poem’s content with forced rhymes.

Commentary

This is a poem to be marveled at and taken for granted. Like a big stone, like a body of water, like a strong economy, however it was forged it seems that, once made, it has always been there. Frost claimed that he wrote it in a single nighttime sitting; it just came to him. Perhaps one hot, sustained burst is the only way to cast such a complete object, in which form and content, shape and meaning, are alloyed inextricably. One is tempted to read it, nod quietly in recognition of its splendor and multivalent meaning, and just move on.

sources:

@marknpablo

Next time “Cite” your sources:

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/frost/section10.html

Did you mean Le Cordeon Bleu, Andy?

Nope. I don’t like French cuisine. I find it pretentious and over priced.

I like mounds of food dripping with flavor and swimming in value, not 3/4 filled pint glasses and raspberries in wicker baskets. Nature creates raspberries but only a true artist and a friendly cow from Ireland can turn such wonders into steaming sweet pies drizzled in full-fat creaminess.

In fact, don’t get me started. I love the French but I deride their emotional monopoly on the world’s tastebuds. And yes, I can make better bread than them!

Summary

Form

Commentary

sources:

Sorry my IQ is low. Can you explain in much simple words? 😅

The poem creates an atmospheric deep response in the brain, to anyone who has been in such a place, late at night, when it is snowing. The quiet, peace,
cold and woods is beautiful, and a contrast to the bustle of daily life we are usually immersed in. It is contemplative, almost a meditation.

The poem creates an atmospheric deep response in the brain, to anyone who has been in such a place, late at night, when it is snowing. The quiet, peace,

cold and woods is beautiful, and a contrast to the bustle of daily life we are usually immersed in. It is contemplative, almost a meditation.

I like your way of thinking.

The quiet, peace,

cold and woods is beautiful

Sounds a bit scary as well. 👻

Archived