"...faultless in spite of all her faults." Emma

miiila

poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Been suspended for being too mouthy?
    • Done super well and become a Witch on Fiverr like Miss Crystal after graduating?
    • Or have killed Hermione in a jealous fit of rage after falling in love with Harry?

Let´s talk about Emma. Jane Austen’s Emma, of course.

• I’ve read Emma.
  • Who the capsicum is Emma?
  • I’ve read Emma and want to read Emma again!

0voters

“With all dear Emma’s little faults, she is an excellent creature. Where shall we see a better daughter, or a kinder sister, or a truer friend? No, no; she has qualities which may be trusted; she will never lead any one really wrong; she will make no lasting blunder; where Emma errs once, she is in the right a hundred times.”
― Jane Austen, Emma

I tried reading Jane Austen as a kid, as I wanted to read all classics before turning 11, but got bored. Heck even Robinson Crusoe was more fun than that. My favourites - Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island and Kidnapped…loved those books. Okay, just bring back Emma.

Emma is a classic and she´s classy, everyone should read her every now and then. Even things one doesn´t understand can broaden one´s horizon, give ideas and be beneficial. Nothing for kids, though. Not because of the not understanding part, just because of her liveliness, she even took the word with 3 letters starting with s in her mouth once. Ok, she was devious and did it in the sense of… “[…] no man can be a good judge of the comforts a woman feels in the society of one of her own sex […]” ― Jane Austen, Emma but still.

Emma is a classic and she´s classy, everyone should read her every now and then. Even things one doesn´t understand can broaden one´s horizon, give ideas and be beneficial. Nothing for kids, though. Not because of the not understanding part, just because of her liveliness, she even took the word with 3 letters starting with s in her mouth once. Ok, she was devious and did it in the sense of… “[…] no man can be a good judge of the comforts a woman feels in the society of one of her own sex […]” ― Jane Austen, Emma but still.

Boring (20 char…) [ Give me John Grisham!]

And now I boycot the forum until Gina´s next story part is up and go outside and drink a nice latte to Emma.

Have a nice afternoon, evening, or even morning, everyone.

Ha, ha, ha, ha!

You literally had me laughing out loud. 😀

I’m doing cross country via car, sightseeing, so my participation has been sporadic.

Now, I’m trying to determine if writer should have a twin sister or brother. If I go with sister, Zeus better have one heck of a great imagination!

Of course, there’s also the great “time travel” movie based on the book called, “Lost in Austen”. I’ll give that a 9 out of 10. I enjoyed it, to be honest. Most non-Austen people might find it enjoyable as well.

❤️ time travel movies and science fiction as well as horror flicks.

Haven’t seen that one, though.

I’m more of a 1984 fan. The story isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, however, it says a lot about the nature of the present times we live in. Also, I actually published 1984 in Australia and Canada where the work is considered public domain already. 1984 should be public domain everywhere else too. Sadly ‘The Man’ decided it was perhaps too dangerous for too many people to get their hands on freely and extended copyright until the 2020’s in Europe and 2040’s in the USA.

What I liked best about the story was the fact that 1984 is actually a love story and tragedy of almost Shakespearean proportions. The only question is, will someone else’s idea of political correctness ever get so out of hand that it’s imposition on a populace which never elected it, will one day result in the end of simple things like love, humor, and laughter altogether?

Hopefully not.

As for Emma, at least a classic work like that will never be censored.

Oh, and I really like Dracula too, If you have only ever stumbled upon the vampire genre via the Ann Rice or Hammer Horror perspective, you will be blown away by the Bram Stoker original. It’s not just a story about a shady person in a high castle sucking the life blood out of people. It’s a whole world of intrigue and unique horror concepts mixed with occasional splashings of mad people eating spiders.

❤️ time travel movies and science fiction as well as horror flicks.

Haven’t seen that one, though.

Actually, it’s available for viewing on Youtube, in parts. It appears to have been on Youtube since 2012. Take a look, I think you’ll find it as fascinating and enjoyable as I have.

I’d share the link here, but it’ll embed the video, and that could impede the experience. Just do a Youtube search for “Lost in Austen”, and start with part 1. 🙂

I’m more of a 1984 fan. The story isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, however, it says a lot about the nature of the present times we live in. Also, I actually published 1984 in Australia and Canada where the work is considered public domain already. 1984 should be public domain everywhere else too. Sadly ‘The Man’ decided it was perhaps too dangerous for too many people to get their hands on freely and extended copyright until the 2020’s in Europe and 2040’s in the USA.

What I liked best about the story was the fact that 1984 is actually a love story and tragedy of almost Shakespearean proportions. The only question is, will someone else’s idea of political correctness ever get so out of hand that it’s imposition on a populace which never elected it, will one day result in the end of simple things like love, humor, and laughter altogether?

Hopefully not.

As for Emma, at least a classic work like that will never be censored.

I gave up on love a long, long, long time ago. There really isn’t such a thing, just in the moment, temporary euphoria; sooner or later, it fades. 💔

I’m okay with it, occasionally, I think it would be nice to have someone to travel with on my trips. Right now, I’m staring at a beautiful Lake in Florida, listening to radio. It sure would be nice if I were talking to someone instead of 5r forum. 😀

Actually, it’s available for viewing on Youtube, in parts. It appears to have been on Youtube since 2012. Take a look, I think you’ll find it as fascinating and enjoyable as I have.

I’d share the link here, but it’ll embed the video, and that could impede the experience. Just do a Youtube search for “Lost in Austen”, and start with part 1. 🙂

So, it’s a series? Humm, I have paid subscription to Hulu, so I’ll check it out tonight.

I’m heading to Disney World tomorrow so I won’t have much time after today.

I gave up on love a long, long, long time ago. There really isn’t such a thing, just in the moment, temporary euphoria; sooner or later, it fades. 💔

I’m okay with it, occasionally, I think it would be nice to have someone to travel with on my trips. Right now, I’m staring at a beautiful Lake in Florida, listening to radio. It sure would be nice if I were talking to someone instead of 5r forum. 😀

Gina, you really need a Chihuahua. Chihuahuas are made up of all the best in people, every ray of sunlight in the day, and encapsulate hope and goodness with every breath they take.

As an added bonus, Chihuahuas are magnetically attracted to other Chihuahuas. This makes them perfect for meeting new people and they are the perfect size for international travel. - In short, a wee dog is a perfect way to help you realize your dreams finally.

My dream is to get a van or a canal boat and travel Europe while working on the go with Chico. Sadly I’m not allowed to drive and I’m somehow a little rooted to where I am. Regardless, however, of wherever I am, I got my wee man he’s got me & that’s enough.

Not sure what to say about EM, as all my posts were flagged recently along with those in which I talked about her qualities ( writer's thread). So i am :zipper_mouth: today as flags are about to cross limits for today.

We’re not talking about capsicum Emma, we’re talking about literary Emma and whatever other books you like.

Think of it as a book club.

Fine… :roll_eyes: Carry on…

Did you ever read any of the Harry Potter books? It’s a little like the ‘he who shall not be named’ idea with Voldermort. i.e. You can’t name someone or something directly, but you can open a huge surreal school specializing in subjects all about that unspoken phenomenon and even keep giant snakes in the basement.

Now, how do you think Jane Austins Emma would have fared at Hogwarts?

Would she have:

• Done super well and become a Witch on Fiverr like Miss Crystal after graduating?
  • Or have killed Hermione in a jealous fit of rage after falling in love with Harry?

0voters

Did you ever read any of the Harry Potter books? It’s a little like the ‘he who shall not be named’ idea with Voldermort. i.e. You can’t name someone or something directly, but you can open a huge surreal school specializing in subjects all about that unspoken phenomenon and even keep giant snakes in the basement.

Now, how do you think Jane Austins Emma would have fared at Hogwarts?

Would she have:

0voters

I got it at first and also from your reply but just want to stay away… as right now my mind is boiling because of those flaggers.

Gina, you really need a Chihuahua. Chihuahuas are made up of all the best in people, every ray of sunlight in the day, and encapsulate hope and goodness with every breath they take.

As an added bonus, Chihuahuas are magnetically attracted to other Chihuahuas. This makes them perfect for meeting new people and they are the perfect size for international travel. - In short, a wee dog is a perfect way to help you realize your dreams finally.

My dream is to get a van or a canal boat and travel Europe while working on the go with Chico. Sadly I’m not allowed to drive and I’m somehow a little rooted to where I am. Regardless, however, of wherever I am, I got my wee man he’s got me & that’s enough.

I had a chihuahua once. Bless his little soul, he passed on.

I 💜. Plus, contrary to what Hollywood portrays, they are the most gentle, loving dogs.

I had a chihuahua once. Bless his little soul, he passed on.

I 💜. Plus, contrary to what Hollywood portrays, they are the most gentle, loving dogs.

I know this. Rottweilers and Pitbulls often have a bad reputation but everything rests on how you treat and care for them. I would have ideally got a Pitbull but Chico had me from the moment the SPCA shelter put a post up on Christmas day 2013, mentioning how he had stolen and hidden all the other shelter dogs new squeaky toys.

Considering he had burns and an eye popping out his head, this was a big and very ballsy move. I love how he still has this character. However, it does mean that my apartment can resemble an abattoir at timers with the amount of bones he hides. In fact, after moving the sofa last week I found a pig trotter from 2014.

• Yes I’m a man and no, I don’t sweep or vacuum under beds or sofas on a regular basis. I am very OCD about fridge and countertop cleanliness though.
  • Potential wives also need to be at least 3 inches shorter than me (I’m 5"11) and enjoy drinking proseco at the beach while not minding under the bed messiness. Please apply via my Fiverr inbox witrh at least two letters of reference and a recent picture of you holding a tiny capsicum.

I know this. Rottweilers and Pitbulls often have a bad reputation but everything rests on how you treat and care for them. I would have ideally got a Pitbull but Chico had me from the moment the SPCA shelter put a post up on Christmas day 2013, mentioning how he had stolen and hidden all the other shelter dogs new squeaky toys.

Considering he had burns and an eye popping out his head, this was a big and very ballsy move. I love how he still has this character. However, it does mean that my apartment can resemble an abattoir at timers with the amount of bones he hides. In fact, after moving the sofa last week I found a pig trotter from 2014.

• Yes I’m a man and no, I don’t sweep or vacuum under beds or sofas on a regular basis. I am very OCD about fridge and countertop cleanliness though.
  • Potential wives also need to be at least 3 inches shorter than me (I’m 5"11) and enjoy drinking proseco at the beach while not minding under the bed messiness. Please apply via my Fiverr inbox witrh at least two letters of reference and a recent picture of you holding a tiny capsicum.

That’s very tall for a woman. 😀

So, will we get wedding pics uploaded on 5r forum?

That’s very tall for a woman. 😀

So, will we get wedding pics uploaded on 5r forum?

Probably not. I’d like too but I’m so damned pretty people would flag them all out of jealousy like they sometimes do my too funny posts.

What I could do is create a wedding video out of wedding images and distribute the link. The only problem really is that as soon as potential wife applicants see the terms of my prenup, I’ll be lucky if I ever get married.

Also, while I am willing to splash about $50 on the honeymoon, things could get a bit akward given that Chico would naturally get to call shotgun on who gets which side of the marital bed. (If he allows anyone in the bed in the first place).

Archived