What do you think about controversial statement of snapchat CEO?

zeeshan_tirmizi

It doesn’t matter to me, why get upset. If he does not want to expand, he won’t expand. It is a fact that India is a poor country. Why outrage over each and every issue? Also, he has not been quoted as saying this. This is a claim made by someone in a lawsuit against his company.

If they don’t want to do that, than that is their right. Businesses don’t HAVE to expand into other countries if they don’t want to. Find a better service because snapchat sucks anyways, I have never understood why people use the app despite to make poorly edited Vine videos.

Yes it’s upto him to do whatever he wants to do. Yes India has poor people but he said “SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR POOR PEOPLE.” That’s where it made me sad.

This reminds me of the controversy a few years back when Abercrombie and Fitch’s CEO said that he did not like overweight teens wearing his clothing line and would not sell his designs to them.

A lot of pseudo-anger was generated by people who don’t shop there anyways and as a result they apologized and later started selling plus sized clothing.

This is what is probably going to happen regarding Snapchat and India. A bunch of non-users in America will state that this is somehow racially motivated, the hashtag #BoycottSnapchat will arise on Twitter, and the CEO will probably issue an apology and make a crappy port of Snapchat for users in India.

That’s usually how these controversies go.

This reminds me of the controversy a few years back when Abercrombie and Fitch’s CEO said that he did not like overweight teens wearing his clothing line and would not sell his designs to them.

A lot of pseudo-anger was generated by people who don’t shop there anyways and as a result they apologized and later started selling plus sized clothing.

This is what is probably going to happen regarding Snapchat and India. A bunch of non-users in America will state that this is somehow racially motivated, the hashtag #BoycottSnapchat will arise on Twitter, and the CEO will probably issue an apology and make a crappy port of Snapchat for users in India.

That’s usually how these controversies go.

the hashtag #BoycottSnapchat will arise on Twitter,

It has already happened on Indian Twitter.

Yes it’s upto him to do whatever he wants to do. Yes India has poor people but he said “SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR POOR PEOPLE.” That’s where it made me sad.

“SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR POOR PEOPLE.”

I haven´t read the news (I don´t really read news). But don´t let yourself be sad by such statement 🙂

Now I read that he is ex CEO of that snapchat.
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.huffingtonpost.in/assets-h09937b3c3b99563df2f11329299f996b/favicon.ico?h=cf339f2d96daf6c7aecc6bf0eba0cdacHuffington Post India – 16 Apr 17

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F2225ee427f4d3cfb55a32a610764d6cb%2F201630471%2F456877564.jpg

Snapchat Denies Allegations After Former Employee Accuses Its CEO Of Calling...

Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel also allegedly called it an app only for rich people.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

LOL…it’s the outrage culture. Everything has to be politicized, everyone has to be a victim. Something is going wrong in this world, and we will probably realize the extent of the damage 10 years from now.

FYI it’s not the first time this guy is in the news for controversial statements. But it seems that that doesn’t matter that much in the world of business (and politics)

Who is to decide what’s controversial and what’s not? Oftentimes stating a truthful fact is controversial and telling an obvious lie which happens to be politically correct is seen as the right thing to do. This cannot sustain for long. Even the fact checkers need to be fact checked. “Check your premises”, as Ayn Rand said.

Who is to decide what’s controversial and what’s not? Oftentimes stating a truthful fact is controversial and telling an obvious lie which happens to be politically correct is seen as the right thing to do. This cannot sustain for long. Even the fact checkers need to be fact checked. “Check your premises”, as Ayn Rand said.

On the other hand, I’ve heard Ayn Rand described as ruthless and without heart. Not that I necessarily agree, just that people have said so. I like Atlas Shrugged.

Ayn Rand would agree that if nothing else, a statement like that is not something you should hear from a good businessperson. Yes, truthful facts can be controversial, but that statement as a whole is not a truthful fact, and neither is it a sound business decision, IMHO. I would find that statement personally offensive as well, from a standpoint of equality, just as I would if it were to be directed at another specific subset of humanity.

It is a fact that poor people are everywhere. Being poor is not a localized or country-specific phenomenon. That is not the statement that was allegedly made.

The general public decides what’s controversial, based on responses from individuals (weighted by influence and status).🙂

This cannot sustain for long.

It has sustained for thousands of years so far, in various forms. 😁

On the other hand, I’ve heard Ayn Rand described as ruthless and without heart. Not that I necessarily agree, just that people have said so. I like Atlas Shrugged.

Ayn Rand would agree that if nothing else, a statement like that is not something you should hear from a good businessperson. Yes, truthful facts can be controversial, but that statement as a whole is not a truthful fact, and neither is it a sound business decision, IMHO. I would find that statement personally offensive as well, from a standpoint of equality, just as I would if it were to be directed at another specific subset of humanity.

It is a fact that poor people are everywhere. Being poor is not a localized or country-specific phenomenon. That is not the statement that was allegedly made.

The general public decides what’s controversial, based on responses from individuals (weighted by influence and status).🙂

This cannot sustain for long.

It has sustained for thousands of years so far, in various forms. 😁

I’m not talking about the statement by the Snapchat CEO - which by the way he denies making. I don’t even know what’s Snapchat. I am just pointing out to how people find something to outrage on every day on the social media and how everyone wants to pretend to be a victim or hurt grievously in some manner. Well, I am NOT a victim, and will never be. I am fully responsible for everything that happens to me and for my actions.

I’m not talking about the statement by the Snapchat CEO - which by the way he denies making. I don’t even know what’s Snapchat. I am just pointing out to how people find something to outrage on every day on the social media and how everyone wants to pretend to be a victim or hurt grievously in some manner. Well, I am NOT a victim, and will never be. I am fully responsible for everything that happens to me and for my actions.

You can be outraged without being a victim. Just saying. 🙂

Well, I am NOT a victim, and will never be.

I don’t think that’s possible.

I am fully responsible for everything that happens to me

I don’t think anyone can be. That’s not how the world works anymore. 🙂

You can be outraged without being a victim. Just saying.

You didn’t understand the point I was making. The whole point about outraging over each and every issue is to pretend that somehow you have been victimized or hurt in some way. That you are affected or saddened by what somebody a thousand miles away says or doesn’t say. OP said that the Snapchat CEO’s statements made him sad. Well, there have been two occasions in my life when I have been sad, when I dropped out of college and when my father died. I don’t care what Snapchat CEO says or doesn’t say, or what some politician says or doesn’t say. I am making a broader point here, don’t think you understand.

That’s not how the world works anymore.

The world has become complacent, price of prosperity and peace.

That’s not how the world works anymore.

I do understand. Certainly there are those that express false outrage over everything, but many express genuine outrage about only a few things. However, the world is big, with billions of people. Thanks to computers, we can see the collective outrage of humanity. It’s overwhelming, because it’s our collective outrage and anger with each other, and it is magnified because now we can see just how badly we treat each other, all over the world.

You would prefer more war, and less prosperity?

Realistically, there are very few people in the world that, for instance, do not rely on someone else for at least one thing. You would physically protect your home in the event of war? You would dig a well, build a power plant for electricity, create building supplies, perform medical treatments on yourself? You would grow food, and hunt, and prepare your own food?

Ore more accurately (since you’re on the computer) would you produce circuit boards from scratch, construct memory (volatile and permanent), build a processor and instruction set, write your own software and OS, create worldwide communication lines, build and launch telecom satellites…

Even the website you are on relies on possibly hundreds of thousands of people (directly and indirectly), maybe even millions, multiple governments, and many organizations just to operate.

I do understand. Certainly there are those that express false outrage over everything, but many express genuine outrage about only a few things. However, the world is big, with billions of people. Thanks to computers, we can see the collective outrage of humanity. It’s overwhelming, because it’s our collective outrage and anger with each other, and it is magnified because now we can see just how badly we treat each other, all over the world.

Realistically, there are very few people in the world that, for instance, do not rely on someone else for at least one thing. You would physically protect your home in the event of war? You would dig a well, build a power plant for electricity, create building supplies, perform medical treatments on yourself? You would grow food, and hunt, and prepare your own food?

Ore more accurately (since you’re on the computer) would you produce circuit boards from scratch, construct memory (volatile and permanent), build a processor and instruction set, write your own software and OS, create worldwide communication lines, build and launch telecom satellites…

Even the website you are on relies on possibly hundreds of thousands of people (directly and indirectly), maybe even millions, multiple governments, and many organizations just to operate.

That’s a deliberate misreading of the point I am making. The world has become so complacent because of peace and prosperity that it has forgotten how it has been able to achieve peace and prosperity. Most people have been reduced to outraging over every silly thing. It’s like the Roman Civilization at the height of its prosperity. There is no seriousness of purpose, no stamina to get things done and no fortitude to withstand loss. Everybody wants things done the easy way, and if they don’t get what they want, they outrage. Now, stop misreading or misinterpreting my statements.

Archived