Who else can never sleep at night?

recspec

I can’t remember a time where I’ve gotten 8-10 hours of sleep every night. It’s 3 AM on the east coast in the USA. Who else is awake? What are you up to? I’m nosy.

(Send help. I’m bored of Reddit and I ran out of pillows and blankets to huddle under.)

Fiverr is currently my full time job. Before Fiverr, i sleep 12+ hours in a day. AND NOW… 5-7 hours per day maximum. The main reason is most of my buyers come from US side… and between India and US there is 12 hours time difference. So it means when i am sleeping my customers are active and looking for the persons to get their work done. That’s why i have to wake up at night also. It is affecting my health.

As nerdy as it may sound, I’m religious about sleeping from 10 PM to around 6 AM which is the time of the night scientists (and myself) have discovered best fits our biorhythm and provides our body with the longest ‘deep sleep’ sleep stage (awake, light sleep, deep sleep, REM) which were proven to be the most restorative and rejuvenating both mentally and physically.

I love performing at my peak level and this simple (and free habit) greatly enhanced my performance.

I’ve always been a night owl, and I’m trying to get more sleep during the night but always wake up too early 😣
I used to wake up several times/night because my phone rang with notifications, but now I just put it on do not disturb and see them in the morning.😌

I don’t get enough sleep too. Basically because most of my clients are in the USA and I am in Nigeria. I receive 80 percent of my messages midnight, in fact I close most of my deals in the midnight.

I sleep around 10PM, wake up by 2am and go back to bed by 4am. I’m awake by 7:30am.

That’s basically 7 1/2 hours of sleep. Im working on getting more nap-time 😉

I don’t get enough sleep too. Basically because most of my clients are in the USA and I am in Nigeria. I receive 80 percent of my messages midnight, in fact I close most of my deals in the midnight.

I sleep around 10PM, wake up by 2am and go back to bed by 4am. I’m awake by 7:30am.

That’s basically 7 1/2 hours of sleep. Im working on getting more nap-time 😉

You know, that might not be too bad…historians are now saying that people used to sleep like that for thousands of years before artificial lighting was invented.

In other words, they’d go to sleep when it got dark, wake up for a couple hours in the middle of the night, then go back to bed for a few more hours, and wake up at dawn.

The concept of “sleeping through the night” is a fairly modern one. 🙂 An interesting thought, anyway, and one that hadn’t occurred to me until I read about it recently.

You know, that might not be too bad…historians are now saying that people used to sleep like that for thousands of years before artificial lighting was invented.

In other words, they’d go to sleep when it got dark, wake up for a couple hours in the middle of the night, then go back to bed for a few more hours, and wake up at dawn.

The concept of “sleeping through the night” is a fairly modern one. 🙂 An interesting thought, anyway, and one that hadn’t occurred to me until I read about it recently.

What did they do when they woke up in the middle of the night and it was dark and they didn’t have artificial light? … maybe I shouldn’t have asked that question 😳

I’m not a night-owl. I go to bed around 10pm, am get up for good around 5am, but am often up in the night pottering around with things. I can’t remember the last time I slept all the way through. I have an old dog with a brain tumour who sleeps in my bedroom so I can hear her when she gets up. Maybe things will be different when she’s passed on.

I’m not a night-owl. I go to bed around 10pm, am get up for good around 5am, but am often up in the night pottering around with things. I can’t remember the last time I slept all the way through. I have an old dog with a brain tumour who sleeps in my bedroom so I can hear her when she gets up. Maybe things will be different when she’s passed on.

Awww… What’s her name? Wanna share her picture for good? 😇

I too have problems with sleeping. More with the schedule than with the number of hours but it does affect my health.

Part of the reason why I don’t sleep regularly is because I don’t have another job besides freelancing. On top of that, I’m on a gap year (therefore no studies either) so most of the time I can sleep whenever I want. Both a blessing and a curse.

I’m continuously getting better at it, though. No point in being rich if you’re not healthy!

By the way - for all you night owls that like to work on a computer after it’s dark: I highly recommend a program called F.lux. It claims to filter out the blue light that is emanated from your screen - which has been shown to mess up with the sleep hormone (it’s melatonin, I think). As far as I understand, it replaces it with red light, which allegedly is easier on the eyes. There is a mobile equivalent called Twilight. I use them every day and I can really notice a positive effect both on my eyes and mind.

Note: I’m in no way not affiliated with either of the products mentioned above – simply recommending them based on my experience.

Hmmm, I will do my little research on that 😃

I too have problems with sleeping. More with the schedule than with the number of hours but it does affect my health.

Part of the reason why I don’t sleep regularly is because I don’t have another job besides freelancing. On top of that, I’m on a gap year (therefore no studies either) so most of the time I can sleep whenever I want. Both a blessing and a curse.

I’m continuously getting better at it, though. No point in being rich if you’re not healthy!

By the way - for all you night owls that like to work on a computer after it’s dark: I highly recommend a program called F.lux. It claims to filter out the blue light that is emanated from your screen - which has been shown to mess up with the sleep hormone (it’s melatonin, I think). As far as I understand, it replaces it with red light, which allegedly is easier on the eyes. There is a mobile equivalent called Twilight. I use them every day and I can really notice a positive effect both on my eyes and mind.

Note: I’m in no way not affiliated with either of the products mentioned above – simply recommending them based on my experience.

Funny, after I posted this topic I went right to sleep. 😆 I actually got contacts that are really good with brightness from electronics, so it doesn’t feel like my corneas are going to burn off every time I look at my phone or computer screen at night, lol.

I’m a bit relieved to know that others can share the issues I have with sleeping at night. It’s hard to be a night owl or be an insomniac when society wants you to participate during daylight hours too. I’m in my last year of school and take multiple language courses that eat up my time during the day. It drains me a lot, but I chose this life and I have to deal with it. I also have issues with chronic pain in my joints and get sick all the time, so being awake all the time isn’t doing me any favors plays world’s smallest violin

I personally work better at night, because the rest of the world is quiet and I can work without being disturbed. I guess that’s a big upside to having owl hours, lol.

Thanks everyone for giving your inputs! It was interesting to see. 😀

Archived