Phone Verification = Easy. What ARE You All Moaning About?

emmaki

I received no message. Instead, I had to look under Settings -> Security.

Verifying my number took all of 20 seconds. Totally underwhelming.

Although, Fiverr doesn’t appear to follow the standard format.

If I wanted to make a local call, I could omit the +254 international code and just use a zero prefix. e.g. 0 123 456 789

Alternatively, I could use the +254 prefix, but I would have to omit the zero prefix. e.g. +254 123 456 789

When I tried to use the latter format, the message read ‘Something went wrong’.

I had use both prefixes. e.g. +254 0 123 456 789

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted to make a local call, I could omit the +254 international code and just use a zero prefix. e.g. 0 123 456 789

Alternatively, I could use the +254 prefix, but I would have to omit the zero prefix. e.g. +254 123 456 789

@webbguy Is that your phone number? If yes, I wouldn´t share it in a forum if I were you.

After half a year of forum, I´d call Fitrig’s concerns absolutely appropriate and potentially helpful though lol If I hadn´t just read some of your anti scam comments on another thread, webguy, I might have pointed that out too. 😉

I havent been able to verify my account. The site doesnt even allow me to enter my number. Asks me to wait, but time to wait already went by, and still doesn’t allow it. Already filled a “complaint” , but so far, no messages

I havent been able to verify my account. The site doesnt even allow me to enter my number. Asks me to wait, but time to wait already went by, and still doesn’t allow it. Already filled a “complaint” , but so far, no messages

Do not use the numbers on the keypad.

Use the numbers on top of the keyboard.

What if the website doesnt allow you to enter the number anymore?

Hello everyone, I am new in Fiverr. I didn’t receive any message but when I created my first gig, Fiverr required phone verification and I completed it successfully. Is my verification process completed by going through this process?
Please help me out by answering my question. 🙂

Thanks

the REAL question here is WHY is fiverr suddenly so keen about getting access to your phone number …

When this happens, ALWAYS (but ALWAYS!) there are some foggy, dubious intentions hidden behind it

Actually, there aren’t always foggy or dubious intentions behind asking for a phone number. I am not comfortable with the phone verification as I can see it causing me a problem if I ever move from my current country of residence to another one and don’t speak to CS first in order to clairfy how to go about adding a new telephone number prior to leaving.

However, the chief benefit of the phone verification system lies with the fact that it confirms sellers actual geographic location. This puts an end to sellers trying to pretend that they are residents of other countries such as the USA where some buyers prefer to buy services from USA based sellers.

Usually, I am up in arms about data protection. With this though, I see it as a proactive way to provide buyers with better security and an overall better experience when using Fiverr.

Also, if you use a smartphone, you should perhaps take a moment to read the T&C’s of the apps you are using. Most collect so much user data that they know people better than their own mothers.

Actually, there aren’t always foggy or dubious intentions behind asking for a phone number. I am not comfortable with the phone verification as I can see it causing me a problem if I ever move from my current country of residence to another one and don’t speak to CS first in order to clairfy how to go about adding a new telephone number prior to leaving.

However, the chief benefit of the phone verification system lies with the fact that it confirms sellers actual geographic location. This puts an end to sellers trying to pretend that they are residents of other countries such as the USA where some buyers prefer to buy services from USA based sellers.

Usually, I am up in arms about data protection. With this though, I see it as a proactive way to provide buyers with better security and an overall better experience when using Fiverr.

Also, if you use a smartphone, you should perhaps take a moment to read the T&C’s of the apps you are using. Most collect so much user data that they know people better than their own mothers.

I am sorry but this is NOT an argument. And yep, these practice is VERY fishy. What if I have double citizenship, and I change my location every now and than? Changing countried within the EU has almost become the rule and not the exception, so what than?

As if it was not enough that most of these sites do fetch your IP as well (which in the EU by the way is ILLEGAL!) now they also want you phone number …

What you do not know or maybe you just do not want to admit, is that once your phone number is out, you have NO control whatsoever on what happens to it and what they do with it, who gets their hands on it etc. That’s the sad reality of our times, so the more people get to understand that, the better.

I am sorry but this is NOT an argument. And yep, these practice is VERY fishy. What if I have double citizenship, and I change my location every now and than? Changing countried within the EU has almost become the rule and not the exception, so what than?

As if it was not enough that most of these sites do fetch your IP as well (which in the EU by the way is ILLEGAL!) now they also want you phone number …

What you do not know or maybe you just do not want to admit, is that once your phone number is out, you have NO control whatsoever on what happens to it and what they do with it, who gets their hands on it etc. That’s the sad reality of our times, so the more people get to understand that, the better.

As if it was not enough that most of these sites do fetch your IP as well (which in the EU by the way is ILLEGAL!)

Being able to see the IP address of a person using a website is not illegal. Putting cookies in browsers without telling people? Yes, this is illegal. - Possibly you have your wires crossed?

As I said in my original response, I am not 100% happy about the mobile phone verification business and it could actually cause me a problem when I next travel. I do however think the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to verifying sellers identities.

My phone number was verified easily. Eight hours later the system has been blocked from sending sms’s or phone calls to my number and ever since then I get this message:

Network Problem
You seem to be unable to receive the verification code. There might be a problem with your network connectivity*.
Please try again later.
Close
*Please verify that your phone is connected to your network and restart your phone before trying again.

Support has refused to respond to this issue. Not only that, they now claim someone tried to break into my account, they have restricted it because to many access attempts were made with the wrong password and told me I have to change my password to get the restriction lifted and invoked a 24 hour deadline. Problem? They have now totally blocked phone verification on my account, so I am totally screwed indefinitely. How is this the behavior of a professional company?

As if it was not enough that most of these sites do fetch your IP as well (which in the EU by the way is ILLEGAL!)

Being able to see the IP address of a person using a website is not illegal. Putting cookies in browsers without telling people? Yes, this is illegal. - Possibly you have your wires crossed?

As I said in my original response, I am not 100% happy about the mobile phone verification business and it could actually cause me a problem when I next travel. I do however think the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to verifying sellers identities.

I’ve got no “wires crossed”, I can assure you of that. And there is a huge difference between saving my IP without (!!!) my approval and you agreeing to accept some cookies IF you want to access content of a specific site …

I’ve got no “wires crossed”, I can assure you of that. And there is a huge difference between saving my IP without (!!!) my approval and you agreeing to accept some cookies IF you want to access content of a specific site …

Oh well, I’m wrong, you’re right. Let’s not have any shouting, though, it’s a little intimidating and you are making me feel very self-conscious as I wonder how exactly I have offended you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived