Cancelling an order due to morals?

kaitlinhastwois

Has any seller ever done this? I was proofreading a buyer’s document when I read through a section that was very offensive to me and I knew very harmful for other people to read. I refuse to play a part in the publication of something like that, so I asked the buyer if they would agree to mutually cancel the order. I’ve had it for less than three hours, so I’ve given the buyer plenty of time to find a new seller.

The subject in question is very near and dear to my heart and I was just not willing to help someone else destroy it for four bucks, no matter if it makes my cancellation rates go up.

Guest lisha5684

Yes, you can cancel if it’s not appropriate for you. And you should also put somewhere in your gig description that they should message you before ordering if they feel it’s even the slightest bit possible that it might inappropriate material.

It’s a controversial subject (even though it really shouldn’t be, given that we live in the 21st century), unfortunately. I did have a brief mention of the general topic on my gig, listed as one of the things I have a special interest in and therefore would be much more motivated and able to go above and beyond in an order that involved that topic. So either they didn’t read that, didn’t understand what I was saying, or were trying to “help me” by sending me their work.

I stayed as respectful as I could while still remaining honest and I can only hope the same courtesy will be extended to me.

Of course you can cancel it!

As for mentioning the list of the topics that you find inappropriate you could simply create a video for it, since not everyone reads the description, videos almost always catches people’s attention so it’s a good method to ‘put it out there’. 🙂

Archived