What can you buy with one gig in your country? (Around The Globe Discussion)

gig_freak

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2018 at 12:17 PM, misscrystal said:

All I can think of is a coffee from Starbucks. Or two gallons of gas.

I was thinking the same thing. Cup of Starbucks coffee and almost 2 gallons of gas. Maybe a burrito.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:18 PM, jennypentool said:

6 Bottles of Guinness Stout, medium side

Here you can get maybe 1 bottle of Guiness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, armejndi said:

Well, I pay $35 for a 40 mbps internet speed. 😦

$10 monthly for 100 mbps download and 45 mbps upload internally, and intl. speed is 2/3. Around 60-65 download and 30 upload. Connection never drops too. It’s fibre optical everywhere. That — in Bulgaria.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:59 PM, jennypentool said:

Greetings from Nigeria. Here, $5 = NGN1800 (Nigerian Naira) With $5, you can get the following:

• 12 Liters of PMS (Premium Motor Spirit: Fuel)
  • 6 Bottles of Guinness Stout, medium side
  • A lunch

That was the most vague post ever. Speak human language, please. What is a “Premium Motor Spirit Fuel”? Is that benzin, diesel, lpg, kerosene, methane…?

On 6/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, shadyelshafie91 said:

17 ltr gasoline

What’s the quality of the fuel?

Guest offlinehelpers

That was the most vague post ever. Speak human language, please. What is a “Premium Motor Spirit Fuel”? Is that benzin, diesel, lpg, kerosene, methane…?

You’ll probably find that fuel for cars is called different things all around the world.

Here we have unleaded, diesel and LPG.

I get about 3 litres of unleaded for the equivalent of $5.

You’ll probably find that fuel for cars is called different things all around the world.

Here we have unleaded, diesel and LPG.

I get about 3 litres of unleaded for the equivalent of $5.

It’s unleaded everywhere lol. Nobody uses lead anymore. Just gasoline unleaded.

Guest offlinehelpers

It’s unleaded everywhere lol. Nobody uses lead anymore. Just gasoline unleaded.

See we don’t call it gasoline - we call it petrol - viva la difference! 🙂

See we don’t call it gasoline - we call it petrol - viva la difference! 🙂

But if you really understood that “Motor Spirit” is actually “unleaded gasoline”, please share that knowledge with me. How did you do that. Is “Motor Spirit” a synonym of gasoline? That’s new.

I often lack good logic, as you can see…

Guest offlinehelpers

But if you really understood that “Motor Spirit” is actually “unleaded gasoline”, please share that knowledge with me. How did you do that. Is “Motor Spirit” a synonym of gasoline? That’s new.

I often lack good logic, as you can see…

Motor spirit fuel just sounds like petrol you’d put in your car - as I say, it’s called different things in different places.

Your gasoline = my petrol.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, offlinehelpers said:

Motor spirit fuel just sounds like petrol you’d put in your car - as I say, it’s called different things in different places.

Your gasoline = my petrol.

Gasoline is well known in the US. Petrol in the UK. That I know and its not what I’m talking about.

You lost it here. You’re trying to argue over something you can’t win. “Motor Spirit” sounds more like a brand. See the capital letters she used? I think she doesn’t make a difference between “petrol” and diesel and is maybe not aware that there’s like a ton of different fuels. But I’ll wait for her answer before I conclude. For now I can only make a good guess.

I have Nigerian friends and its called gasoline or benzin there.

Guest offlinehelpers

Premium Motor Spirit Fuel

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-premium-motor-spirit-otherwise-known-as-petrol-and-other-petrol-inspired-grammatical-boo-boos/141726.html

OK. I liked that one snippet:

It’s an entirely meaningless phrase to native English speakers in America, Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. It also makes no sense to English speakers in India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and other Commonwealth countries where English is spoken as a second language.

In 2012, I asked several of my American friends, colleagues, and students what meaning the phrase “premium motor spirit” evoked in them. They all said they had never encountered the phrase and had no clue what it meant.

Not sure what happened here but can we cool it a bit please?

(I was going to say “coolant” as a joke but was worried it might be known as something else in other countries and end up adding more fuel to the fire)

It’s okay. Coolant is fine. As long as you don’t say the word “her” to any Russian speaking ladies and gentlemen. You want to avoid that at all costs. Better use “she”. Like that: “I went with she to the movies.”

Trust me, I speak Russiano.

Gasoline is well known in the US.

Petrol in the UK.

That I know and its not what I’m talking about.

You lost it here. You’re trying to argue over something you can’t win. “Motor Spirit” sounds more like a brand. See the capital letters she used? I think she doesn’t make a difference between “petrol” and diesel and is maybe not aware that there’s like a ton of different fuels. But I’ll wait for her answer before I conclude. For now I can only make a good guess.

I am from Nigeria, it is generally called Petrol, and few call it PMS(Premium Motor Spirit).

Benzin? many won’t realize you referring to Petrol.

I am From India. And 5$ Here can get you A Movie Only along with few candies.

What Can 5$ Get you at your country?

PS- Just to get a brief Idea about the effort thats given and the Result we get For just 5$

Not much here in Canada. A movie ticket is $15. I think you can get pop at the theater for $5.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived