Tips on Ordering Video Sync from VO Artists

vomatt

hello,

can i know which mic is the best for recording and VO jobs?

There are so many! Depends on how much you want to spend. I would just google it and research as they’re tons of articles that can help…also youtube. They have reviews etc and break things down based on how much you want to spend.

There are so many! Depends on how much you want to spend. I would just google it and research as they’re tons of articles that can help…also youtube. They have reviews etc and break things down based on how much you want to spend.

i was asking there is one special for VO jobs not for musical instruments " ONLY FOR VO JOBS".

if you talking about budget it is around 200$.

• 1 month later...

i was asking there is one special for VO jobs not for musical instruments " ONLY FOR VO JOBS".

There is no “special” microphone for VO work, just don’t buy a usb (Yeti) type of mic. I use an AKG condenser microphone on a shock mount with a Focusrite audio interface. I use Logic Pro as my DAW.

… and then you need to be trained on how to engineer the audio file properly for your voice and the client’s technical specs.

… and it helps to to have voice and acting training.

The learning curve is pretty big for VO work and the ROI is slow.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of excellent down to serviceable mics for voice work, but a mic is only part of your arsenal. I concur with @matureactress to NEVER buy a USB mic. I’ve never used one before. I’ve got a couple of Sennheisers, but my favorite is my Neuman U87. The $$ is in the editing. You can have a great “voice” and crappy editing skills, and never get a gig, but good editing can help even a sub-par voice sound good. I use Audition and ProTools, but there are many budget friendly DAWs out there for you.

Hardlogic, you have opened the Pandora’s box of asking for an equipment recommendation. When it comes to audio/video equipment (just as in photography discussions) people fall prejudice to what they think they know, and what they are already loyal to. Some of the top manufacturers of microphones are Sennheiser, Neumann, Shure and Electrovoice just to look at the tip of the iceberg. Here’s a great article on the Shure blog that kills the top 8 myths about microphones. Including the USB/XLR one in all but the most demanding situations. I prefer the RE20 from Electrovoice, and the Shure SM7b, but if you are starting out and cannot afford the $400 plus price tag, by all means get started with whatever you can. As Shure points out many USB microphones have the exact same capsule (guts) as the XLR version. You have to shop around and I suggest renting a mic or two before you spring for a higher end one.

But don’t get hung up on the mic, (just like the “My Nikon can kick your Canon’s ass” argument that ruins so many photography discussions when the participants should be discussing composition, exposure and the like. There are tons of people out there who either use a thousand dollar Neumann mic thinking that it will make them sound like Don LaFontaine

but have absolutely no mic technique. and the truth is that when you run that mic through a $100 interface, it becomes a USB mic anyway. Only difference is that the USB interface is in a separate box not built into the mic body.

Experiment and see what sounds the best. But make sure you start with the best you can afford, work on mic technique and keep an open mind. I’d trust Shure on this one.Here’s the link:

Cheers, and good luck.

http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/themes/shure_blog_2014/favicon.icoShure Blog – 8 Jul 14
http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/MicMyths-Featured1.jpg

Top 8 Microphone Myths Exposed | Shure Blog

There are microphone myths just like there are urban myths. We’re setting the record straight on 8 myths that we keep hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @vomatt,
Tips about ordering Video Sync from you helped alot. I was wondering on something when buyes order Video Sync in Voice Over, that means only making the voice over audio and synchronize to the video right? I got a buyer that says that i have to editing the video too, cutting and fixing the video include synchronize the video. In Fiverr when hover over ‘Video Sync’ - the fiver explained “Make the voiceover in synchronization with the buyer’s video file”. Please help me, I’m sure I was right and not the buyer.

Thanks

Hi @vomatt,

Tips about ordering Video Sync from you helped alot. I was wondering on something when buyes order Video Sync in Voice Over, that means only making the voice over audio and synchronize to the video right? I got a buyer that says that i have to editing the video too, cutting and fixing the video include synchronize the video. In Fiverr when hover over ‘Video Sync’ - the fiver explained “Make the voiceover in synchronization with the buyer’s video file”. Please help me, I’m sure I was right and not the buyer.

Thanks

@mysi_tran

Allow me to pitch in. Yes, you are correct. Your buyer shouldn’t expect you to do any video editing.

A synced voice over is nothing but a timed voice over which should fit to specific segments of the provided video.

Sometimes I will add the voice over to the video and send the finished file but that’s about it.

Hi @vomatt,

Thanks

It all depends on what YOU want to offer, not what they WANT you to offer. If you don’t want to do that, be upfront about it because most sellers who do video sync will blend the two together. For me it’s pretty easy since all I have to do is pop the audio and video into iMovie since everything will naturally line up if the buyers follow the steps I laid out here.

Hi @vomatt,

Thanks

I don’t check the “Video Synch” option in the gig offering and instead offer an “Audio Synch”, with an exact description of the service instead. Once I did that I had waaay feweer problems with people thinking they would get an edited video.

Also, in the requirements section of the gig, I also reinforce the idea that synch, in my case, means matching the timing of an existing video or audio as close as I can, depending on the language, and that I do not edit video and deliver the finished product as an mp3 or wav file only.

Hope it helps!

Archived