What games do you play when you are not working? 😸

xander52

I’m always counting threads when calculating cores, since the plugins I use actually take advantage of every last drop of computing power, whether it comes from a logical core or a virtual one.

I will probably still upgrade to the 6950x because I am heavily invested in the x99 platform, and I’d hate to change mobo and format at this point int time.

the next enthusiast i7 chip will be release this August. It will probably be a 10-core one. But with higher freq.

And that one is a Xeon chip.

I love them, but when I’m dealing with a single core project or export, they suck so much because of their low frequency.

Yes, most people do not understand that for a program to utilize ALL THOSE CORES, it has to be written with parallel processing in mind.

It really does not matter if you have a 1000 core cpu and your program is written for a single or dual core. Which generally MOST programs are written in.

And all these kids go crazy about cores.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, most people do not understand that for a program to utilize ALL THOSE CORES, it has to be written with parallel processing in mind.

It really does not matter if you have a 1000 core cpu and your program is written for a single or dual core. Which generally MOST programs are written in.

And all these kids go crazy about cores.

Yeah that’s so true.

You need to find a sweet spot between frequency and number of cores.

Depending on your workflow of course.

I know that upgrading to the 10-core model will only yield a 15% increase in performance when I use Cinema4D for instance. But I am fine with that. 🙂

Yeah that’s so true.

You need to find a sweet spot between frequency and number of cores.

Depending on your workflow of course.

I know that upgrading to the 10-core model will only yield a 15% increase in performance when I use Cinema4D for instance. But I am fine with that. 🙂 for the calculation of your efficiency metrics.

How much time are you cutting down or saving BY upping your processing power. So that will give you the accurate calculation for your investment.

Well since most of your processing will be utilized for work order RENDERING, you have to convert your percentage into TIME :clock: for the calculation of your efficiency metrics.

How much time are you cutting down or saving BY upping your processing power. So that will give you the accurate calculation for your investment.

that’s precisely why I have a desktop with fewer cores/higher frequency to work on projects in low res/fast draft settings.

it’s snappy as hell, and it allows me to work super fast.

and then when I am done, I feed it to my WS, which is there to help me check things out in full settings, plus crunch through those layers and effects as efficiently as possible during final export.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Apple, Scmapple. A nerd is a nerd, no matter what the OS! Although statistically speaking, Linux users are more likely to be a full-on nerd. Probably. Especially if they breathlessly discuss their latest Raspberry Pi project.

My workstation is actually running games better thank my desktop.

It’s a 16-core 4.5 GHz beast with a titan-x and 64 GBs of RAM.

I can even game while rendering, I have done it several times. 🙂

Luckily for me, the Venn diagram of Good for Games & Good for my Work is a perfect circle.

Apple, Scmapple. A nerd is a nerd, no matter what the OS! Although statistically speaking, Linux users are more likely to be a full-on nerd. Probably. Especially if they breathlessly discuss their latest Raspberry Pi project.

@frank_d

So have you heard about my Pi project, I can now automatically flush my toilet with a single button while reading the latest ars technica article.

@frank_d

So have you heard about my Pi project, I can now automatically flush my toilet with a single button while reading the latest ars technica article.

You should make it voice operated. Perhaps flush on “make it go” (see what I did there, Star Trek fans?)

Lol I am a Linux user… Hmm what is my pi doing right now, nothing (all three of them are waiting for some work)

• 2 months later...

I used to play lots of stuff Budokai 3, Naruto ultimate ninja storm, Justice League, GTA series, Old WWE titles and much more but then my PS 2 died. Now I play mobile games like COC, CR, sometimes 8 ball pool, piano tiles 2, modern combat 5 etc. I sometimes play most wanted, Fifa 15, CS 1.6 etc. in laptop.

Archived