Why I gave someone with no reviews a chance

fastcopywriter

For the longest time, I always went with more established sellers (and often paid a premium for it). Of course the work was always excellent, but I never gave new sellers a chance to show their skills. A few months ago, I decided to take a gamble by hiring someone with no previous work and it turned out to be as good as if not better than previous work done by established sellers.

I have since started to focus more on the details of their profile, how the sellers respond to my questions, and how fast they are about replying to my messages. In fact, I always send a few messages with questions, even if I know the answer, just to see how the conversation goes. This has been a great strategy for me to avoid gigs that may not be a good fit for me as I already have a good idea about how the seller and I will get along.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the longest time, I always went with more established sellers (and often paid a premium for it). Of course the work was always excellent, but I never gave new sellers a chance to show their skills. A few months ago, I decided to take a gamble by hiring someone with no previous work and it turned out to be as good as if not better than previous work done by established sellers.

I have since started to focus more on the details of their profile, how the sellers respond to my questions, and how fast they are about replying to my messages. In fact, I always send a few messages with questions, even if I know the answer, just to see how the conversation goes. This has been a great strategy for me to avoid gigs that may not be a good fit for me as I already have a good idea about how the seller and I will get along.

I think this is a great strategy for vetting ANY sellers on fiverr - even if they aren’t new 🙂

I think this is a great strategy for vetting ANY sellers on fiverr - even if they aren’t new 🙂

Yes, absolutely! It makes all the difference knowing that you and the seller are on the same page and everyone is comfortable with the terms of the sale.

and how fast they are about replying to my messages

I also agree that’s a great way to choose any seller, however, I think you should rethink the quote above. Maybe a seller would take longer to answer if your message comes through while driving or when he/she is in the middle of the night, sleeping nice and tight.

In my experience Fiverr is constantly growing and that translates to new creatives constantly joining the platform. In any case, this is good as it provides variety to the many buyers looking for the right fit when especially in terms of creative works.

So the question is, is it worth the risk ?

and the answer is a resounding yes!!!

This is mainly due to the fact that variety gives options, and thus the question shouldn’t be whether they have reviews or not, but rather, is what they are offering my exact fit ?

For instance, when I started off, I didn’t have any reviews, actually, no one starting off, has reviews, and that’s what you should always keep in mind.

For instance, if you wanted a seller to write you l love poems, I’d be your seller, but since maybe I didn’t have any reviews, you’d pass me by. However, that shouldn’t be the case.

So how do you make the gamble ? It all lies with the Creative’s portfolio, and that should always be the compass point when it comes to choosing the right creative for you.

I really hope this was helpful to you as a buyer in choosing the right creative.

For instance, when I started off, I didn’t have any reviews, actually, no one starting off, has reviews, and that’s what you should always keep in mind.

I couldn’t agree more. So many undiscovered talents go to waste because no one is willing to take the risk. Buyers should start changing their mindsets and look for sellers that qualify, and ratings do not always measure those. It’s a win-win situation because you’re going to help someone boost their reputation, and you’ll get what you want. Thank you so much for posting this.

I am yet to receive my first order and this post makes me so happy. Wish there were more buyers like you, who would give us new sellers a fair chance. Meanwhile, I’d continue to try and earn the buyers’ faith, and would hopefully get my first order someday. 😎

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been a Fiverr seller for about 2 years. If you are just starting out, I would suggest going and bidding on orders in the Buyer’s Request section. That is where I got my first couple of jobs. I am a voice over talent but my first order was a man who wanted someone to sing a parody song for him on a YouTube video. Since I have been a musician all my life, I bid on the job and got it. It wasn’t exactly what I do here on Fiverr, but it was really fun and I kept great communication with the buyer and gave him more than one version of what he offered. He loved it, gave me 5 stars, and a tip! On my first order!

So I would not discount the Buyer’s Request section. It helps you get your first orders and reviews, and it will help attract more traffic to your gigs.

Just like in the outside world marketplace, if you are good at what you do you will eventually be noticed. There is an old saying that, “the cream will rise to the top”. If you are not from the U.S, that means that the really good stuff that people want will eventually rise up and get noticed, and what isn’t as good will stay where it is.

I know this was a long comment, so thank you for reading!

I’m new at Fiverr but I have 10 years of experience in design and illustration. I agree that having no reviews should not be a negative point, because it doesn’t mean that you are not a professional. It just means that you don’t have reputation in this platform.
In my case, I’m working with my first buyer and I’m putting all my efforts and creativity because I want to make a great impression, so it’s likely that a new seller will do great stuff because they need to make the best from Fiverr ☺️

As a seller, I want to know as much information of the buyer I can get. Questions asked by them is an excellent way to exchange such knowledge back and forth. And I’m as picky about my clients as clients are picky about their freelancers, as I am not so desperate for gigs, that I’m willing to take work from anybody - I’m not. I need the right client - just as the client needs the right freelancer. If a client is asking the wrong questions, is being evasive about some issue, I’m just as likely to say, no, find another freelancer, we’re not a good fit.

Archived